First Nations should give up Status Cards

johnrae
Fledgling

First Nations should give up Status Cards

Post by johnrae »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/beyak-i ... -1.4284671

I am so glad someone in government has a good idea. The only thing that will come of this is that Senator Lynn will be called a racist for this idea. I am so proud of her, and yet worried for her now. It is time that we stop with the free handouts. It will never end. A one time payout per family is a great idea. Get them off the tax payer's *bleep*. Our nipples are getting sore already.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: First Nations should give up Status Cards

Post by maryjane48 »

johnrae wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/beyak-indian-status-canadian-citizens-1.4284671

I am so glad someone in government has a good idea. The only thing that will come of this is that Senator Lynn will be called a racist for this idea. I am so proud of her, and yet worried for her now. It is time that we stop with the free handouts. It will never end. A one time payout per family is a great idea. Get them off the tax payer's *bleep*. Our nipples are getting sore already.

funny when people have no clue how things work . the indian act is part of canadas chater of rights and freedoms until the treaties and land claims are settled . so the sooner you hardas your mp to get that done then sokner it will be over . until then all you and the senator is doing is displaying ignorance
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

^^^ Read what Beyak said in the article.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol why . theres zero to read . nothing is changing until the treaties and land claims are settled . the status card is the deal the govt made as they fleeced the fn people. for decades the govt canada had the upper hand infact came close to complete genocide.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

maryjane48 wrote: nothing is changing until the treaties and land claims are settled .

Exactly and as a First Nation friend of mine says "They will never settle because the gravy train will end if they do!"
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

It's an ongoing and fairly complex process but treaties are being negotiated. There is a ton of information out there for people who really want to inform themselves of these issues. This is just relating specifically to BC ...

The status of the First Nations, Aboriginal people of British Columbia (BC), Canada, is a long-standing problem that has become a major issue in recent years. In 1763 the British Crown declared that only it could acquire land from First Nations through treaties.[1] Historically only two treaties were signed with the First Nations of BC. The first of which was the Douglas Treaties, negotiated by Sir James Douglas with the native people of southern Vancouver Island from 1850-1854.[2] The second treaty, Treaty 8, signed in 1899 was part of the Numbered Treaties that were signed with First Nations outside of British Columbia.[3] British Columbian Treaty 8 signatories are located in the Peace River Country or the far North East of BC. For over nine decades no more treaties were signed with First Nations of BC; many Native people wished to negotiate treaties, but successive BC provincial governments refused until the 1990s.. A major development was the 1997 decision of the Supreme Court of Canada in the Delgamuukw v. British Columbia case that Aboriginal title still exists in British Columbia and that when dealing with Crown land, the government must consult with and may have to compensate First Nations whose rights are affected.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_of ... h_Columbia
Maa-nulth First Nations Final Agreement Act

https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/releases ... hment1.htm
Treaties and Self-Government in British Columbia

https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/11001 ... 0100021027
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bsuds wrote:
maryjane48 wrote: nothing is changing until the treaties and land claims are settled .

Exactly and as a First Nation friend of mine says "They will never settle because the gravy train will end if they do!"

winner winner chicken dinner
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Bsuds wrote:Exactly and as a First Nation friend of mine says "They will never settle because the gravy train will end if they do!"

the truth wrote:winner winner chicken dinner

Agreed and I have been saying the same thing as the senator for years.
Last edited by ferri on Sep 15th, 2017, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quotes
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

We found out about the possibility of achieving status 15 years ago, and some of the family in Manitoba did just that. We chose not to. Why? We're Canadian people who have had good lives, and from where I'm sitting, the minute one discusses 'status' the person with 'status' is maligned and looked-down upon, and in turn, the status-holding community is incensed. Wouldn't we rather just be Canadian people living a Canadian life all contributing our share with a (more or less) common ground?

For aeons, nations have been invading and conquering nations, why is this any different?

Let's stop marginalizing each other and work towards a common good of civilized infrastructure and quality of life across the board.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

It's an ongoing and fairly complex process but treaties are currently being negotiated. There is a ton of information out there – regarding the history (incl recent history), ongoing marginalization and treaty processes - for people who really want to inform themselves of these issues. Sadly though, even when information is found and posted for posters to review it is clear many do not want to commit to such “onerous” reading, preferring instead to just continue on with what they have already been led to believe for so long. It's funny how people with the least knowledge of an issue often have the strongest opinions on it.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

History seems to offend people.

If we can erase Sir John A from the history books, why don't we erase residential schools and status cards while we're in there?

I'd sacrifice one for the other, if it meant we'd move forward as a unified nation with equality for all.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Personally I think it's brilliant. Then we could get out of the "your just visitors here", which I'm not. I was born here, that makes me a citizen. I bought my house here, that makes me a land owner.

I've long thought that we should all just be Canadians. As Chief Louie in Oliver says, you can't keep your heritage by trying to live it, you have to keep it by moving forward.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Rwede wrote:History seems to offend people.

If we can erase Sir John A from the history books, why don't we erase residential schools and status cards while we're in there?

I'd sacrifice one for the other, if it meant we'd move forward as a unified nation with equality for all.

I don't think it should be about erasing people from the history books, but more about telling the entire story.
I'm not in favor of taking things down but would rather see a more accurate account at these sites , cause out of site in time means out of mind.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Here's a hypothetical question. What if a federal government was to offer a one time payout to every status native in the country?

In exchange, the natives would give up their status and become Canadian citizens, exactly the same as the rest of us. They could keep the land they're living on, and the land under the communities in which they live, but would give up ownership of the huge tracts of land that they use only for hunting and fishing. That land would revert back to the crown and its management. All treaty arguments would instantly and permanently end. All the extraordinary payments to natives only would end. Free education would end. They would start paying taxes like all the rest of us. Native only hunting/fishing seasons would end. They would be subject to exactly the same laws as all the rest of us.

What would that payout number have to be?

What if we offered every native man, woman, and child, $500K? So a couple would receive a million and a half-million for each of their children -- that's $2 million for a family of four. Maybe we could pay it in installments.

There are approx 1.4 million natives in Canada. That would be a grand total of $700 billion dollars. We're spending approx $10 billion per year now, and it goes up significantly every year, so it's the equivalent of all the money we're going to spend (approximately...) over the next 50 years. Then after that, nada... No more payouts. No more interest on the money we borrow for the payouts. No more federal or provincial departments of Indian affairs.

Would they accept it? Or would their leaders convince them not to? Or would the number need to be bigger?
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn

Return to “Canada”