What would you do without power for 10 days?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

What would you do without power for 10 days?

Post by Queen K »

I'm not talking camping.

I'm talking about a natural disaster like Hurrincanes or earthquakes or forest fires cutting you off.

Here is what 10 days without power is looking like down in Florida right now.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/us/10-day ... index.html
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: What would you do without power for 10 days?

Post by TylerM4 »

Queen K wrote:I'm not talking camping.

I'm talking about a natural disaster like Hurrincanes or earthquakes or forest fires cutting you off.

Here is what 10 days without power is looking like down in Florida right now.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/us/10-day ... index.html

I'd do the same thing we do when we're camping except that I'd likely try to eat/cook/throw away all of the food in my fridge and freezer.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

I would have to have some red wine in reserve,
because I sure as *bleep* not drinking warm beer :-X
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

We had our power out to our house a few decades ago in the winter for a few days. A transformer blew that serviced our home.
Water from a well....electric pump. Heat from electric furnace.
Wasn't fun. Wasn't camping. When camping, one doesn't worry about extensive damage to your tent.
You and 71 others Like this post
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Over 20 years ago, we moved our house, the whole house and everything in it. It was like those hurricane shots where the house is moved off the foundation except ours was on wheels and no damage was done except specifically where required.
We had no power for a month, no running water for 3 months and no sewer for 4 months.
We had propane for cooking, carried drinking water in 5 gallon jugs and used a commercial porta-potty. We had coal oil lamps, flashlights and a generator for power tools to carry out construction.
Before we undertook the move we filled up multiple 20 gallon containers in the attic with water and stored it during the move and then used a hose and gravity to deliver it to the sink after the move.
The key is preparation. Stockpile water and fuel. I like propane because it is contained in nearly indestructible containers.
With water and fuel you can cook food so store plenty of dried food such as nutrient dense seeds.
Waste not
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Dwindling Cash

"Fugate said Irma victims in sudden financial crisis can seek disaster relief assistance.
And a variety of nonprofits and agencies are also offering free goods and services, such as free or discounted rental homes.
But the need for help is immense.
"There's total devastation," said Wallace, the Big Pine Key resident. "Things are moving, but guys, we need more help down here. Please."

The article has a headline at the bottom titled "Dwindling Cash" and the quote is the only reference to cash, "apply for some." People's savings are literally being wiped out, if they had any. Or health insurance, God help them if Irma causes complete break downs.

But read it and you you'll see concern about not being able to spend it in a restaurant. By "cash" did the author mean "no access to debit machines" and not being able to spend money in restaurants? Or literally, any cash you had on your person is being spent rapidly? Or what? Because who carries cash these days?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

We have a wood stove if required. Could cook on it if necessary. I have our electricity set up to hook to a generator, probably our motorhome if necessary. 100 plus gallon fuel tank will last a long time running just generator. Generator can easily be removed and set up elsewhere if necessary. Could run fridge, freezer, furnace, tv and dish. Biggest problem would be water, sewer.Propane cooking. Huge water tank on motorhome if available, if not proper preparation with jugs as said in an earlier post. Sewer would again be motorhome as long as we could get in and out to dump. If not porta-pottie. Things wouldn't be too bad unless it came on fast unannounced and the motorhome was destroyed. If it was announced ahead of time and was going to be serious, we'd be gone with the motorhome, valuables, spare cash and two vehicles.

Homes can be replaced.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

A friend of mine is in a heavily hit area. They have been without power since Sunday. Luckily a small area (a few blocks) where she lives was not affected by flooding and they still have running water, although, they cannot drink it. They have not been able to get out of a few blocks radius due to debris, flooding, downed power lines and sewage running in the streets.

At first warning of Irma, they stock piled water, canned goods, propane tanks and car batteries (and maybe a few bottles of wine LOL). They use the barbecue and outside cook stove to cook and boil water to bathe. The car batteries keeps their phones charged so they have contact with the outside world. They also have chargeable lanterns. They've managed to cook chili, soups, pasta etc and have been sharing with less prepared neighbors or those who have dwindling supplies. They figure at the pace they are going they maybe have another week of supplies.

The thing they are missing the most is a/c or any kind of fans as it is dreadfully humid and hot.

Because they cannot leave the little bubble in which they live, cash is not a problem. There's nowhere to go to spend it anyway.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thanks for the insight. I guess car batteries are good as would be solar chargers.

The real problem is the "dwindling supplies" of everyone. I understand the Caribbean is a real crisis due to dwindling supplies.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Queen K wrote:Thanks for the insight. I guess car batteries are good as would be solar chargers.

The real problem is the "dwindling supplies" of everyone. I understand the Caribbean is a real crisis due to dwindling supplies.

Supplies can certainly be a problem. However - If you live in a place like the Caribbean that's prone to very strong hurricanes and you don't have enough food and water (It's warm there no need to worry about shelter/heat) set aside to survive a couple of weeks then I don't have a lot of sympathy for you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Do people in the caribbean, other than the rich, have the money to set aside supplies for a couple of weeks? I took that there is a two class system there, much worse than here. :135:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Queen K wrote:Do people in the caribbean, other than the rich, have the money to set aside supplies for a couple of weeks? I took that there is a two class system there, much worse than here. :135:

The only supplies you need are clean water and food. I can't imagine a couple of weeks of food being all that expensive but I honestly don't know.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

TylerM4 wrote:The only supplies you need are clean water and food. I can't imagine a couple of weeks of food being all that expensive but I honestly don't know.

Aruba has no natural source of fresh water. They get all of it from desalination plants. No power = no fresh water.
They would have a very tough time for 10 days.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

I'd probably continue on as usual, just without the internet. There's enough preserved food stockpiled here to last a while, and cooking with fire is a breeze. There's a river close by, and plenty of native edible plants around, so that's nice.

Edit: Detail.
Last edited by Ptolemy Soter on Sep 15th, 2017, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am... the law!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Smurf wrote:We have a wood stove if required. Could cook on it if necessary. I have our electricity set up to hook to a generator, probably our motorhome if necessary. 100 plus gallon fuel tank will last a long time running just generator. Generator can easily be removed and set up elsewhere if necessary. Could run fridge, freezer, furnace, tv and dish. Biggest problem would be water, sewer.Propane cooking. Huge water tank on motorhome if available, if not proper preparation with jugs as said in an earlier post. Sewer would again be motorhome as long as we could get in and out to dump. If not porta-pottie. Things wouldn't be too bad unless it came on fast unannounced and the motorhome was destroyed. If it was announced ahead of time and was going to be serious, we'd be gone with the motorhome, valuables, spare cash and two vehicles.

Homes can be replaced.

well your good to go, were do you live lol :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Social Concerns”