The Plateau Fire

Frisk
Guru

The Plateau Fire

Post by Frisk »

Many of the Quesnel west fires have combined & are now being listed as one fire. Estimated at 438,772 hectares it's the largest fire ever recorded in B.C. as well as one of the largest in North America in recent times.

The Plateau Fire (Tautri, Chezacut, Baezaeko, etc) (C10784)

Last updated: Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM

Location: The Chilcotin Plateau, 60km west of Quesnel and 60km northwest of Williams Lake
• See approximate location of this wildfire on an See Map interactive map
• View an interactive map of all active Wildfires of Note.

Discovered: Friday, July 07, 2017

Size: 438,772.0 hectares (estimated)

This fire was previously being listed as Chezacut, Tautri, Bishop's Bluff, Baezaeko, Wentworth Creek, Arc Mountain, and others.

It has now merged in to one fire (The Plateau Fire) and is being managed by two BC Wildfire Service Incident Management Teams (one located at Puntzi and the other at Sylvia's, west of Quesnel).
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: The Plateau Fire

Post by JagXKR »

Sure is going to get rid of a lot of pine beetle kill. Amazing how Mom will always balance herself out.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Estimated at 493,000 hectares.
The potential of a merge with the hanceville fire (232,599 hectares) still appears to be possible.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

I'm going to suggest "merged" means something different to me.

Since June 2002, I always think of the day the Rodeo fire merged with the Chediski fire to create the perfect awful firestorm.

There is a case study in support of closing backcountry during extreme fire conditions. A hiker became lost for three days, panicked by Rodeo fire entering the drainage she was hiking in, and upon seeing a news helicopter desperately lit a signal fire. Within a couple of days, the two head fires merged right outside of the town of Show Low.

I guess it's possible that Hanceville could burn into the Plateau complex, or to a lesser degree vice-versa, but they are still 15 k apart.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

We only have 2 weeks left of this weather, and the fires are burning quite slow, so I don't see it happening. It could, but I really don't see any fires more more than 5 km in any direction from now until the snow flies.

IF the fires were to join, that would be one massive fire size close to 2,000,000 acres in size, and some 150km long and 80km wide.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Williams lake has 5 days in a row of 34 degree temperatures starting September 2nd in the forecast.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Frisk wrote:Williams lake has 5 days in a row of 34 degree temperatures starting September 2nd in the forecast.

Huh? http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-76_metric_e.html
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Whoops I mixed it up with kamloops forecast. My bad, need some more coffee.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Frisk wrote:Whoops I mixed it up with kamloops forecast. My bad, need some more coffee.

Given the fact that Kamloops has never been 35C in September, 5 days in a row of 34 is bound to set many records. The record for the month is 34.9C from 2003.

The forecast is insane. If the smoke doesn't get too bad, we could see many records pushing 40 between the 5th and 9th, then BAM... cold rain.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If you want the Plateau Fire weather report, check out the Chilcotin forecast... it's going to be 10 degrees hotter on Saturday than Friday! And then remain hot and dry.

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-42_metric_e.html
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Lots of activity being picked up on the plateau fire. (Upper middle)
Attachments
Map August 31st .png
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It's good to see the news is finally catching up to what I was saying last thursday. It's now 517,140. https://www.myprincegeorgenow.com/56712 ... -hectares/

But the news is still behind because they talk about the huge growth on Wednesday, but fail to mention the rain this week that has stopped the growth. We could see some more activity this afternoon and tomorrow, but then it's back to the rain on Thursday...
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Just how big is B.C.'s biggest wildfire? From a Vancouver Island perspective: YUGE... http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... 1.22111960
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

- Douglas Murray

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”