Canada's OD capital

ferri
Forum Administrator

Canada's OD capital

Post by ferri »

Kelowna's hospitals are seeing more opioid users per capita come through their doors than anywhere else in Canada.

A recent report by the Canadian Institute for Health Information found there were 72 instances of significant opioid poisoning hospitalizations in Kelowna in 2016-17, a rate of 36.3 per 100,000 people.

This is more than double the Canadian average of 15.5 per 100,000 people, and well over the B.C. average of 25 per 100,000.

more:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... OD-capital
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Frisk
Guru

Re: Canada's OD capital

Post by Frisk »

I have a solution to this...I know it's going to sound completely crazy, but........don't do drugs.

It seems we pump so much attention into dealing with OD's while ignoring the reasons why and how people turn to and acquire drugs in the first place.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

let them OD and stop bringing them back to life and soon those numbers will drop drastically
P65
Fledgling

Post by P65 »

Would it be helpful to know the number of overdoses due to recreational use as opposed to full blown addiction?
Would this be a way to address help?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It's an old saying, it runs true today as it did in years past.

If you play with fire sooner or later, you will be burned. Sad but true

I've said it before, so I will say it again... maybe it time to find a different recreation
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i had a hard day at work today, i know its a bad idea but does anyone have some spare fentanyl, so i can wind down
f the wife and kids i just need to relax

to those cowards that fit this bill and become junkies , you got what you asked for
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

voice of reason wrote:let them OD and stop bringing them back to life and soon those numbers will drop drastically

all these fake do gooders need to stay out of people personal business , to make them feel better about themselves because they are missing something in there own personal lives
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I understand the sustain for people who continue to do drugs but that's what an addiction is.
I know personally two children from different professional families got addicted after leaving home for work. Parents drove 12 hours straight to rescue one and the other parents spent over 100,000 for rehab. They are both doing well now. Would they deserve to die because of a mistake when they are young?
What about all the people born into families that don't care or shipped from foster home to foster home?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

the truth wrote:
all these fake do gooders need to stay out of people personal business , to make them feel better about themselves because they are missing something in there own personal lives

Yeah man, those paramedics and EMT's are total losers.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

no not them, i am talking about you castanet do gooders , http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... nyl-crisis yes and junkies are burning out are hard working people
Deean
Fledgling

Post by Deean »

Since they now have "Safe Injection Sites" it should be illegal to walk around with a needle in your pocket.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

the truth wrote:no not them, i am talking about you castanet do gooders , http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... nyl-crisis yes and junkies are burning out are hard working people

Well, I can't speak for others, but you and I have more in common on this issue than you might think. We both believe what we believe, but neither of us is out there doing anything about it one way or another, so what does it matter?

I will say this though. You've shown your disdain for the addicted, and never treated this epidemic like it was your problem. Now that it's impacting a group of people you seem to have some respect for, is it still someone else's problem? Will you have a hand in making things better, or will you just be glad you don't have to deal with it (yet)?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Deean wrote:Since they now have "Safe Injection Sites" it should be illegal to walk around with a needle in your pocket.

I'm not sure how this would help.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

JayByrd wrote:
Deean wrote:Since they now have "Safe Injection Sites" it should be illegal to walk around with a needle in your pocket.

I'm not sure how this would help.

Diabetics everywhere would be screwed!
hail Satan y'all
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I'm not sure how this would help.[/quote]
whatwhat wrote:
JayByrd wrote:Diabetics everywhere would be screwed!

Bunk. Most diabetics don't walk around with needles any more. They use pens similar to an epi-pen but smaller. If a diabetic was still doing "old school" and used a needle, the would also probably have an ice pack and a bottle that said INSULIN clearly on the label.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Central Okanagan”