Apple iPhone X

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Apple iPhone X

Post by Jlabute »

Did Lenovo, HTC, google, and others to come also do it to sell accessories? I have all I need without getting accessories.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Jlabute wrote:Did Lenovo, HTC, google, and others to come also do it to sell accessories? I have all I need without getting accessories.

Possibly - yes. But comparing to other companies isn't exactly apples to apples. Most of those quoted sell into different or niche markets and/or offer other products with a microphone jack.

It's pretty apparent Apple knew the demand was there. Every iPhone7 sold came with a lightning to microphone adapter. Would have made their customers happier and it would have been cheaper to just include the jack in the phone. They're forcing a transition.

It's obvious you're an apple fan. I have an iPhone myself. It's just a phone and not a part of your identity, nothing is perfect and that's OK.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The 3.5mm jacks aren't necessarily cheap or waterproof and do require quite a bit of real estate. Apparently Intel is also pushing to get rid of that little jack as well. Bluetooth audio headsets now outsell wired headsets and I suppose people are getting fed up with wires dangling from their ears. Whether or not it is too early to drop the audio jack is of debate, but it will eventually be gone.

I've used an iPhone for the last year. I've had android devices since Froyo. I am just a fan of tech ;-) I don't believe Apples main focus is to sell connectors or adapters. They have the vision to realize something is obsolete and it's their time to get rid of it.

http://www.youredm.com/2016/04/27/intel-undercuts-apple-replaces-headphone-port-usb-c/

Intel thinks the capabilities offered by the universal USB-C port are the more than enough. The maneuver makes complete sense, considering that the 3.5mm jack “is an analog, single-use port, which takes up serious real estate on devices that are defined by multipurpose efficiency.”
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Agree completely. Only reason to keep the 3.5mm jack around is to support legacy equipment. For me - it's the stereo in my garage. Old re-purposed amplifier and speakers. I just leave the lightning adapter with the stereo.

USB-C with thunderbolt behind it is going to change everything. Finally a standard that has everything:
-very high speed (enough for 4k video)
-small connector
-reversible
-supports power/charging
-open standard with no royalties attached.

One small cable can act as your connection to a universal docking station that'll support an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, USB hub, etc and charge your device while it's at it!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I believe what you guys are saying, but don't discount the lengths a manufacturer will go to in order to maintain profit levels.

I watched a documentary a few months back, and it clearly demonstrated how Apple makes far more off of its phone accessories, than it does the phones.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Some facts for a change.

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Old Techie wrote:I believe what you guys are saying, but don't discount the lengths a manufacturer will go to in order to maintain profit levels.

I watched a documentary a few months back, and it clearly demonstrated how Apple makes far more off of its phone accessories, than it does the phones.

Yes, and I agree. I still stand by my earlier assertion that the main reason Apple dropped the microphone jack was to sell more adapters and drive up profit. Consumers clearly told them that they wanted the jack.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Old Techie wrote:I believe what you guys are saying, but don't discount the lengths a manufacturer will go to in order to maintain profit levels.

That is the reason I avoid buying from companies who have a proprietary system. To me that's just screwing their customers.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

TylerM4 wrote:
Yes, and I agree. I still stand by my earlier assertion that the main reason Apple dropped the microphone jack was to sell more adapters and drive up profit. Consumers clearly told them that they wanted the jack.

Apple's profit last year was around $50 Billion. It makes this selling $150 billion worth of iPhones that have profit margins of 50%. Profits from headphone dongles, which it gave away with the phones, don't even add up to the rounding error on Apple's profits.

Apple eliminated the headphone jack because it's ridiculous to waste space on an analog jack that's been around since the transistor radio, on a $1000 device.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Oh probably, I wouldn't doubt it. Tablet cases and covers, cables, adapters. Same with printers and consumables, game consoles and games, etc. I don't want to deny anyone their profits although they seem excessive at times. Samsung wants to sell their wireless charging base plus all the same accessories as mentioned. I think everyone wants to be in the accessory gig. Perhaps Apple has a greater monopoly on it because of their larger and older ecosystem. Perhaps, this will settle down a bit now that standard high-speed multifunctional connections are the future, as well as wireless options.
My car has a 3.5mm stereo input for playing audio from what-ever you plug-in, tho never used it. My wife's old ipod has that gruesome 30pin connector on it which we used with a Denon ipod dock. Ugh. I'm replacing it with Spotify.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

IMO Apple is overhyped with a cult like following. I was on the Apple bandwagon for abit until I couldnt update the apps I had on my devices because it wasnt new enough for the iSO. Basically Apple makes their products obsolete after a few years so consumers have to buy the newest and greatest products. SCREW APPLE
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Gixxer wrote:IMO Apple is overhyped with a cult like following.

And Samsung isn't? :laugh:

Their fanboys are just as bad, if not worse than the Apple fanboys :laugh:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

TylerM4 wrote:I still stand by my earlier assertion that the main reason Apple dropped the microphone jack was to sell more adapters and drive up profit. Consumers clearly told them that they wanted the jack.

I know its a hard concept for some to understand, but the fact is that there is this trend towards wireless that has been going on for a few years now. Go to any airport, the majority of headphones you'll see are wireless. Give it a few more years, and they'll do away with the charging port as well. Lots of new cars have wireless chargers built in now. :up:

I upgraded my personal phone to the iPhone 7, I have no regrets. I still have my 5s as well. As always, I'll take a look at the latest offering, if it appeals to me then I might consider it, if it doesn't appeal to me, then there's always next year :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Their fanboys are just as bad, if not worse than the Apple fanboys :laugh:

Bhahaha. Typical response from an Apple supporter. Automatically assume its Apple vs. Samsung.
Whats great about the andriod platform is you dont have to buy just one manufacture. Also a user can root their phone for better performance, add/remove whatever apps they want, simply change the battery, and add extra memory. Can you do that with an Iphone?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Gixxer wrote:
Bhahaha. Typical response from an Apple supporter. Automatically assume its Apple vs. Samsung.
Whats great about the andriod platform is you dont have to buy just one manufacture. Also a user can root their phone for better performance, add/remove whatever apps they want, simply change the battery, and add extra memory. Can you do that with an Iphone?

Samsung, Apple, Android - all the same when it comes to fanboys - your post is evident of that - congrats :up:

Awesome you can do all that neato stuff that my iPhone can't. But guess what my iPhone can do that your Android can't? It can adapt to my personal lifestyle and work choices :up:

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”