Fruit by the litre?

A potpourri of off-topics.
watchkat
Übergod

Re: Fruit by the litre?

Post by watchkat »

Bsuds wrote:One of the trends in some stores that I disagree with is packaged meat not sold by weight but by the "item".
For instance 4 chicken breasts for $10. I want to know what it is by weight!

Yes, yet another hope that shoppers will grab and go. I guess they haven't considered that careful shoppers might take two or three of those chicken or other raw meat packages to the produce scales to see which package is better deal or maybe none at all. In the meantime, those weighing fruits and veggies are being cross contaminated.............how much easier for them to weigh all litre and 4 for $$$ type packages so consumers don't have to be involved.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

Catsumi wrote:Me too when it comes to buying peaches, pears, oranges, etc. I don't want to pay for air.
:admin:

When I first started this topic, it was because in my research on line, I discovered others had already done some weighing of these litre containers of peaches as an example.........they ranged from 3.8 to 4.8 lbs per container.......that is quite a spread in price per pound.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Those 4/$10.00 packs of chicken breasts show weights on the label - usually top right hand corner or middle of the label. Helps when you want to get the bigger package by weight.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote:Those 4/$10.00 packs of chicken breasts show weights on the label - usually top right hand corner or middle of the label. Helps when you want to get the bigger package by weight.

You expect us to do the math? :200:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

[icon_lol2.gif] Nope ... if all packages are $10.00, find the heaviest and grab it.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote:[icon_lol2.gif] Nope ... if all packages are $10.00, find the heaviest and grab it.

Nope, I refuse to buy it that way.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Saragn

Post by Saragn »

watchkat wrote: Sep 14th, 2017, 11:55 am Has anyone else noticed what I feel is a weird way of selling fruits such as peaches, pears, etc. Why sell in a plastic container by the litre. It is necessary to actually weigh it to discover what you are paying per pound. Walmart was selling 3L for 4.98 and superstore was selling 2L for 3.98 ..........to the best of my memory, but the point is why????
The local orchards in Kelowna offered gorgeous peaches for 90cents a pound picked. I almost made the mistake of heading south to my usual fruit stand until they raised the price to 1.69lb.

You sure have to question the pricing of our local produce these days. Really what the traffic will bear with no real logic to the pricing other than the smaller orchards are cheaper as the packing houses aren't interested in dealing with them and so they sell directly to public.

Love to see a large IGA cardboard bin at my favourite apple orchard. He supplies them and they sell for 1.69 upward while he sells directly on an honour system for 50cents a pound in his cooler.
I think the best way is to beat them at their own game and weigh anything (fruits and veg.) they sell by litres! They have scales at produce sections.

Return to “Grab Bag”