No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Post by Hmmm »

I have lived in Kelowna for eight years and believe that Kelowna is crying out for a new bigger mall, a real signature piece that meets the needs of the city as it grows even bigger and expands to the north with the improved Hwy 97. Orchard Park Mall is looking dated and unable to expand in capacity for stores or parking, a second level does not look feasible or practical.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-206947-10-.htm#206947

Somebody apparently hasn't heard the news yet. The mall is dying a slow yet inevitable death. I can't speak about Orchard Park specifically, but almost every major retailer is in big trouble across the globe. That includes the two big anchor tenants at Orchard Park.

People's shopping habits have changed from malls to Amazon and other online retailers. The owners of the Orchard Park should seriously have a plan for the future that changes the current malls use to something that has a future. North America is littered with old, mostly empty eyesores that didn't see the writing on the wall and now lye desolate looking.

Kelowna doesn't need a bigger mall, it needs a bigger plan for something that has a future. What this is, I don't know. But it is not a large retail mall and that you can take to the bank. That deal is done.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
bigrcanada

Re: No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Post by bigrcanada »

I almost spilt my coffee when I read the post about Kelowna needing a bigger mall. I thought possibly the post was in jest. Malls are dying... For a reason. They are a contraption of a by gone era...and good riddance.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

If Colin wants a mega-mall, Colin can move to Edmonton.

Way too many idiots moving to Kelowna.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I'm not saying we need a bigger mall, but I will say OP mall's parking lot is always busy. One argument for malls is they are a great place to go in the winter once cabin fever sets in. LOL
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

We used to call this "the Alberta disease". It's much like the American disease. The idea that the economy, cities, our expectations, life satisfaction, and the future can expand forever and ever. Like the old Social Crediter who said "it's gonna get bigger and bigger and better and better forever and ever", some people just don't realize that there could be limits to growth. There's only so much space on the face of the earth, only so much air to breath, and only so much food to feed our expanding billions.

But we need a new mall. And a bigger and better shopping experience. Consume...... buy...... acquire..... My pile's bigger than yours.
Tfishwood

Post by Tfishwood »

We are closer to a bigger ......Costco, honest.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

The great think about Canada is anyone has the freedom to start a business. He is more than welcome to buy the land and build the mall if it is so needed.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Tfishwood wrote:We are closer to a bigger ......Costco, honest.

I actually think we will see Costco close, and break the region into two and have two stores, say somewhere on WFN and somewhere Vernon area
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Its being built across from the airport. Sucks for the WK crew.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Hassel99 wrote:Its being built across from the airport. Sucks for the WK crew.

Maybe not. Costco delivers most things right to your door when you order online (shipping costs included). So while the rest of you all stand there in line and deal with dufuses in the parking lot, I just wait for my doorbell to ring.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Hassel99 wrote:Its being built across from the airport. Sucks for the WK crew.

Costco is moving to the airport?
spooker

Post by spooker »

Even Steven wrote:Costco is moving to the airport?

Being discussed here: https://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=73894
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Hmmm wrote:Somebody apparently hasn't heard the news yet. The mall is dying a slow yet inevitable death. I can't speak about Orchard Park specifically, but almost every major retailer is in big trouble across the globe. That includes the two big anchor tenants at Orchard Park.

I'd have to ask you why then is RioCan one of the most successful companies in all of Canada? Your hypothesis is not supported by the undeniable business model strength of such companies.

There's a huge generation of wealth holders (boomers) who have another 30 - 40+ years of life in them that support the retail shopping experience.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

lightspeed wrote:If Colin wants a mega-mall, Colin can move to Edmonton.

Way too many idiots moving to Kelowna.

If Colin wants a mega mall, Basran, Mattuisi, and Milroy can all move to Edmonton, and build the first 18 story mall..
There fixed that for you..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

The Orchard mall IS small, dingy, outdated, and absolutely bland. Every time I go in there it's like stepping into 90's. Then I go to Town Center Mall and step into 80's. Then you go to Rutland Highway 33 mall and step into doodie.

Basically, all Kelowna malls are dingy and outdated. They all need to be renovated and modernized. But I doubt there's enough demand for a much bigger mall in Kelowna. The economy has changed to smaller places and online deliveries.

Return to “Central Okanagan”