Trudeau proposes increasing income tax rate to 93%

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Trudeau proposes increasing income tax rate to 93%

Post by kgcayenne »

Seeing as you brought up doctors, I have a few of questions that are not answered by that graph.

How many doctors are Canadian programs able graduate each year?
How many doctors are boomers and set to retire in five minutes?
How much has our population grown?

Are you able to provide us with verifiable statistics on the above questions?

I’m deeply saddened that doctors become doctors for money, and not because helping people is what they actually want to do.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Rwede, do you mean to suggest Harper was PM since the 80’s?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

kgcayenne wrote:Seeing as you brought up doctors, I have a few of questions that are not answered by that graph.

How many doctors are Canadian programs able graduate each year?
How many doctors are boomers and set to retire in five minutes?
How much has our population grown?

Are you able to provide us with verifiable statistics on the above questions?

I’m deeply saddened that doctors become doctors for money, and not because helping people is what they actually want to do.

I know hey, same with nurses and teachers right, shouldn't they work for a lot less as well it's just gross that they took them as good paying jobs instead of volunteering......

This was your point right? Just trying to understand where people who work hard deserve punishment vs other people that work hard.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

No, it's not what I am saying at all.

Statistics can be manipulated to represent whatever it is we're looking for. I am asking him for more information. I'm also condemning people who become doctors strictly for money instead of the desire to help people. Really, though, I don't think that's the case, but if I listened to only what certain groups say, it's fairly obvious that's how they see it.

Society has been groomed to believe that paying them enough money means they'll do whatever it takes.

How much is enough money?

I'll answer that: "A little bit more."

It never ends.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Philosophically, these proposed changes come down to a question: should business owners have any sort of consideration or leeway for the amount of risk they take, not having EI, paying both ends of CPP and employing people? If yes, the ability to invest inside a company serves as a savings tool and buffer for slow times, and yes, a way to invest relatively tax-efficiently. If no, then they should look at simplifying our tax code rather than creating specific punitive rules.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

(Omnitheo"]. If doctors leave, more will arrive to fill in the gaps.

This is in lock step with JTs thinking. ....."budgets will balance themselves". Good luck with that.

Gilchy wrote:Philosophically, these proposed changes come down to a question: should business owners have any sort of consideration or leeway for the amount of risk they take, not having EI, paying both ends of CPP and employing people? If yes, the ability to invest inside a company serves as a savings tool and buffer for slow times, and yes, a way to invest relatively tax-efficiently. If no, then they should look at

Simplifying our tax code rather than creating specific punitive rules.

[icon_lol2.gif]

Back in the day, when the earth was still flat, I filled out my first tax return. The first page was for personal particulars, second and third for income vs deductions with amount calculated to pay or refund. Fourth page was date and signature.

A child could do taxes back then, and I was only 17, lousy at math and able to handle this no problem.

Now not many can do their own taxes anymore nor have the patience for it. I'd rather fill in a telephone book.

On the bright side just LOOK at all the employment a complicated tax system has created: tax lawyers, businesses specializing in doing taxes, paper companies selling oceans of pulp to govt to print tax forms in both languages, tax accountants and let's not forget, armies worth of Swivel Serpents to process your return and bounty hunters to catch those who dare disobey.

I also remember when Saskatchewan went NDP and socialized medicine implemented. There was an exodus of doctors from that province.

It is a common complaint that individuals do not have a family doctor but wait at clinics or emergency depts of hospitals.

Gosh, why haven't the doctors just flooded in to fill these gaps Ominotheo??? This is even BEFORE the new tax policy was ever dreamt up and hatched on the unsuspecting business community.

:smt045
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

They have been.

Alberta, Saskatchewan doctors leap by 20% in 5 years

Canadian Institute for Health Information also finds physicians making more money

The number of doctors working in Alberta and Saskatchewan has leapt by 20 per cent over the last five years — the biggest jump across the country, according to a new report.

There has been a steady increase in Canada's supply of working physicians, climbing to almost 80,000 in 2014, says a report by the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) released Tuesday

"Over the last eight years, the physician workforce has grown rapidly, similar to the high growth rates we saw through most of the 1980s," said Geoff Ballinger, CIHI's manager of physician information, in a release.

"Furthermore, current levels of medical school enrolment across Canada suggest that this trend is likely to continue for the next few years."

https://www.cma.ca/Assets/assets-librar ... ince-e.pdf

Healthcare continues to be a growing industry. Which is why I’m happy to work in it.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Oh here’s a provincial breakdown of the physician/capital ratio over the last 30 years

https://www.cma.ca/Assets/assets-librar ... er_pop.pdf

Outside of the territories, there have been no significant drops in physician population. There are odd dips here and there, but overall the number of available physicians continues to outpace the population growth of the country.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I realize the usual suspects will wring their arms and scream at the source for this article, but that's because they don't want to admit the obvious, and what the numbers are telling us (numbers don't lie), that the Liberals are punishing the middle class with extremely stupid and ill-conceived tax policy. Like Father like Son. The Liberals are a joke.

http://www.nationalpost.com/middle+clas ... story.html

Middle-class families in Canada are paying higher income taxes compared to a few years ago, despite claims by Ottawa that it has eased the tax burden on this income group, according to a new report.

Vancouver-based think-tank the Fraser Institute said in a report Tuesday that 60 per cent of the 3.88 million families included in its study are paying higher income taxes under the current government. Of those included in the middle-income bracket, 81 per cent are paying higher total income taxes after the changes, an average of $840 more per year.

The report comes amid a furor in Ottawa over a recent Liberal proposal to alter tax rules for Canadian private corporations and businesses. The opposition Conservatives have been seizing on the disquiet from some business owners and professional associations, framing the tax proposals as an attack on the middle class.

The proposed changes would effectively do three things: limit income-splitting within corporations, raise taxes on some portion of internal passive investments and place new restrictions around capital gains exemptions. Farmers, doctors and other groups have been highly critical of the changes, saying they will deter investments and place undue tax burdens on them.

Consultations on the recent proposals will conclude early next month. The Fraser report did not account for those recent proposals, and instead focused on earlier tax changes that have already been implemented.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Omnitheo wrote:Oh here’s a provincial breakdown of the physician/capital ratio over the last 30 years

https://www.cma.ca/Assets/assets-librar ... er_pop.pdf

Outside of the territories, there have been no significant drops in physician population. There are odd dips here and there, but overall the number of available physicians continues to outpace the population growth of the country.

How do you account for the current difficulty in finding a family practice doctor? Why do so many doctors prefer to do rotations at walk-ins instead?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

kgcayenne wrote:If a corporation is doing business, and things are going well, it means there is a demand for that service/product. This means that if a corporation decides to cease operations while there is still demand, there’s a pretty good chance the employees would be providing that service by way of another company. Certain interest groups need to stop trying to use personnel as pawns the way an unbalanced, bitter ex spouse uses their children.

Also, if a business owner is making so much money that they are needing to filter it through their children, then neither are they ‘small business’ nor are they middle class.

If a doctor can make more money elsewhere and isn't geographically constrained, why not pack up and go? Equals less offices and lesa money for people employed by them.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Okay folks, let's play Russian Roulette.

We all know that doctors are in demand worldwide and that they are bright people and also MOBILE.

As we have seen from the dark past (Saskatchewan, in the 60's) they CAN and DO Fold their tents and move elsewhere.

In light if the very real fact that a lot of us cannot find a family doctor, let's play Roulette and see if they do it again !!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

It’s interesting that of all the doctors I work with on a daily basis, not once has any of this come up in conversation.

I feel the people raising the biggest fuss are just anti-liberal people who won’t be personally affected, but raise a stink at anything the current government does.

As we see with the poll numbers too in the thread about how support for the current government remains high, even with the proposed changes
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Everybody....DUCK !! Run for cover !

Incoming doctors materializing out of the ether !!

:panic: :panic:

Unknown
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Again, how do you account for the difficulty people are now experiencing in finding a family physician?

I don't think doctors are the primary concern of the Chamber, and they're concerned. I could be wrong, but I don't the Chambers would be concerned if it only affected a small, elite portion of their membership.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Canada”