Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Post by dirtybiker »

Recognized one dude loitering around there waiting for donations with a cart
and bags.

Not sure his deal, he is far from destitute, has a career, nice vehicles and home.

I have never see him dressed as shabby while at his job, as he was standing there.

And it wasn't even Bman !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Green-light wrote:I'm a judgemental prong.
I judge them by appearance, speech and body language.
The same as we all do to each other.
If I can see that they are not totally messed up on some version of crank, then I hand over the bags.

Each person along that stretch of road represents someone that grew up a whole crap-pile worse of than you, or you.
Each one of them has been imprisoned in a mind and body I'd never choose by choice, and neither did they.
Each one of them deserves to interact with those of us that still care, and still connect.

It's easy to drive by and speak down to or about those less fortunate.
It's MUCH harder to actually stop your car, get out with a hand outreached in support and engage with them as a human that you can respect.
I choose to take the harder trail in this case, and often find myself talking up a storm with someone I'd never have expected to have so much in common with.
I'd rather donate my bottles and cans than feed any sort of corporate bin. At least I'm helping a fellow human to exist, rather than keeping the entitled entities alive and kicking and kicking.

Next time you see someone hauling bag after bag after bag of beer cans and boxes upon boxes of wine, rum and gin bottles say hi. That'll be me making my weekly donation.

Drinking is a big part of my philanthropy strategy. :130:

I'm assuming you have never worked or live on a street where this takes place, so I'll fill you in on the things you don't know that you don't know.

Crowds like this disturb the places around them. Not one business will let people like this use their washroom; they do their business in the bush, behind buildings and sometimes right out in the open. Broken glass from accidently dropped bottles litters the street. Garbage is left everywhere. Competition is massive for a "good spot" to get the most dinations which leads to constant fighting, verbal and occasionally physical. When it becomes cold and they have had too much beer or drugs and need to nap you will find them inside your building, warming up.

The worst part is the strain on our emergency services. Police, fire and ambulance all responding to overdoses, fights, complaints, etc. Massive costs for people who never add a dime to the system.

I'm all for compassion on helping those who are down but not these types. This is their life choice. Rather than getting a minimum wage job and working hard they choose to work the streets. A real job wouldn't allow them to drink all day, take drugs and hang out with their friends so they choose bottles.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

dirtybiker wrote:Recognized one dude loitering around there waiting for donations with a cart
and bags.

Not sure his deal, he is far from destitute, has a career, nice vehicles and home.

I have never see him dressed as shabby while at his job, as he was standing there.

And it wasn't even Bman !

I supplement my wealth with go fund me pages.
But I hire children to do bottle drives for a flat rate.
They identify themselves at your door as fund raisers for the C.I.A.
Children In Africa.
Please donate generously.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
gad710
Banned

Post by gad710 »

Pathways is an excellent charity to donate those empty's to. They usually have a little tent with a donation bag setup in the Kirschner Depot parking lot right out front, nowadays they need volunteers to man the bag as per the thread. They also run a charity bike shop on St.Paul, every empty and bike/part purchased generates revenue for them to assist the handicapped.

I recently worked with them and they are a great bunch of people I would hope that Kelowna could take the extra effort to drop their extra "empties" there!
honkonbobo
Fledgling

Post by honkonbobo »

SPCA takes bottle donations as does Dease Rd and Kirshner Rd Bottle Depots. You must go into the buildings with your recycling and tell them they are for donation. Only then will the proceeds go towards Pathways. In return you are supporting employment for people with developmental disabilities.
If you donate your recycling to the riff raff on Kirshner Rd, they will cash it in and buy drugs and alcohol. I've met people who donate to them and thought they were donating to Pathways. Lol, quite the difference.
I've seen directly how employing persons with developmental disabilities improves their quality of life.
Cheers,
thanks for reading.
:130:
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

Sparki55 wrote:
I'm assuming you have never worked or live on a street where this takes place, so I'll fill you in on the things you don't know that you don't know.

Crowds like this disturb the places around them. Not one business will let people like this use their washroom; they do their business in the bush, behind buildings and sometimes right out in the open. Broken glass from accidently dropped bottles litters the street. Garbage is left everywhere. Competition is massive for a "good spot" to get the most dinations which leads to constant fighting, verbal and occasionally physical. When it becomes cold and they have had too much beer or drugs and need to nap you will find them inside your building, warming up.

The worst part is the strain on our emergency services. Police, fire and ambulance all responding to overdoses, fights, complaints, etc. Massive costs for people who never add a dime to the system.

I'm all for compassion on helping those who are down but not these types. This is their life choice. Rather than getting a minimum wage job and working hard they choose to work the streets. A real job wouldn't allow them to drink all day, take drugs and hang out with their friends so they choose bottles.

Assume nothing. You know the saying.
I live literally a stones throw from this location and see and deal with the less fortunate quite often.
I see the issues you mention, and yet so few reports are made by the local businesses supposedly greatly affected.
Don't tell me you speak on behalf of the local business owners/operators. You don't.
The broken glass does happen. It happens anywhere bottles or glass articles are handles frequently.
Hardly cause for enough concern to warrant action against the accidental offenses.
Very, and I mean VERY rarely do I bear witness to a physical altercation on account of competition.
Loud voices I've witnessed. That can be expected when dealing with many mentally ill/handicapped people struggling to exist in a society that has abandoned them.

If you want to belly ache and complain about the issues associated to the bottle collectors, then be active away from the keys.
It's your own chosen politicians and "regulators" that need to hear your whines, not the rest of the population and certainly not those that have been forced to suffer long enough.
It's absolutely ridiculous that we offer no long term nor effective treatment for those in need, especially when this rotting society is allowing contributions like bath salts and synthetic pot to be sold. These are CAUSING the mental degradation we are witnessing on the streets, and yet the whining-belly-achers see the solution as heavy handing those barely hanging on.

:cuss: you belly-aching whinos and the high stacked soap boxes on which you croon.
One pay cheque for most is all the protection they have from living the same fate.
Remember that.
One :swear: paycheque.

Who are the losers in this game of spit-ball?
Certainly not those trying to work with what very little they have to survive.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The people polluting that block of Kirschner have turned that street into one with an ick factor matching or exceeding that of Leon.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

Bman wrote:The people polluting that block of Kirschner have turned that street into one with an ick factor matching or exceeding that of Leon.

Your fingers are pointed at the wrong people.
The "ick" factor are the people that have allowed society to go down this road.
The "ick" is stuffed into pink shirts and suit jackets.
The "ick" leave food on their plates that are paid for by we the tax payers.
The "ick" hold positions of power and control that they use to bolster social standings of themselves and those around them.
What you see along the roadside that you sneer at in disgust is merely the filthy byproduct of the suits that you've voted in.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Green-light wrote:
Bman wrote:The people polluting that block of Kirschner have turned that street into one with an ick factor matching or exceeding that of Leon.

Your fingers are pointed at the wrong people.
The "ick" factor are the people that have allowed society to go down this road.
The "ick" is stuffed into pink shirts and suit jackets.
The "ick" leave food on their plates that are paid for by we the tax payers.
The "ick" hold positions of power and control that they use to bolster social standings of themselves and those around them.
What you see along the roadside that you sneer at in disgust is merely the filthy byproduct of the suits that you've voted in.

What do you propose the "people is suits" do to help remedy the solution? What is missing that would get these people the help they need? I'm 100% open to help the situation.

"Don't tell me you speak on behalf of the local business owners/operators. You don't."

Assume nothing. You know the saying. You don't know my involvement in the issue.
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

Sparki55 wrote:What do you propose the "people is suits" do to help remedy the solution? What is missing that would get these people the help they need? I'm 100% open to help the situation.

"Don't tell me you speak on behalf of the local business owners/operators. You don't."

Assume nothing. You know the saying. You don't know my involvement in the issue.

We need to have medical care for those needing it. Mental health is a major component to health care in general.
We need to bring back federally funded care, including facilities to properly deal with this segment of society.
That's it in a nut shell.
We also need to go further to deal with societal dysfunctions that have encouraged us all to be less involved, less active, less connected to community. We no longer look out for each other and check in on our neighbors because we don't know them and don't care to.
We've allowed for a disposable society that has gone so far as to create disposable people.
Everyone wants to own everything they might ever5 need. Gone are the days of borrowing, thus creating a relationship with others in the community.
With all of the losses we have allowed in our society, we need to take some ownership of just how messed up some people are.
The truth of it is that we are all a part of the problem if we are not a part of the solution.

I know and have spoken to a few business owners on that stretch. I have also inquired to the complaints lodged. I speak with confidence when I say you do not represent the business owners.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Green-light wrote:
I know and have spoken to a few business owners on that stretch. I have also inquired to the complaints lodged. I speak with confidence when I say you do not represent the business owners.

I know two of the business there and I know their struggles. The city is aware and actively involved in watching the area. At the start of this summer was the worst it has ever been and the city helped to remove some of the issues. I have zero respect for the actions and words that were displayed by some people that no longer "work" the street.

Interesting points on memtal health. If people wanted help I would hope its available to them. I would support that. I don't know what is currently available or missing as I am fortunate enough not to have been exposed myself personally or from people i know.

Society isn't as messed up as you think with regards to no sense of community. Try and get involved if you feel so disconnected. Lots of options to facilitate a sense of belonging. Don't get too down on feeling left out, corporations can feel cold but not gone are the days normal everyday people look out for each other.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Numerous letters have been sent to the City and requests for police response and bylaw enforcement have been done. Unfortunately, once bylaw leaves, the problems come back. Employees shouldn't be intimidated nor threatened but they are. Yes, that area is a problem obviously and there have been photos to prove it in the media. When people act like animals and have no respect for themselves or others it's time for authorities to step in to make the area safe for the majority. Businesses should keep hounding until something is done.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Superkitty142

Post by Superkitty142 »

I will take everyone's bottles and cans . I'll even pick them up !!!! :130:

Return to “Social Concerns”