Gospel Mission location - again.

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Gospel Mission location - again.

Post by WalterWhite »

Fancy wrote:That's where bylaw enforcement should be up front and center.

That's a large part of the issue though. Unfortunately enforcing existing bylaws (hardly ever) and enacting new ones (anyone recall the "confiscate their shopping carts" fiasco?) does nothing to fix the problem. Bylaw turns a blind eye to Leon whether complaints are filed or not. I also don't think it's reasonable that an establishment attracts a certain element of society to an area of business resulting in the actions of those clientele affecting the public and public property as a whole in a negative manner should simply be dumped on bylaws to deal with.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Businesses should not be held responsible for clientele off their premises. There is zero point in having bylaws if there is no effort in enforcing them. The City has allowed this and the City should be involved. The Gospel Mission provides a service to those in need and I've yet to hear of any alternatives that are viable.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

P65 wrote:It is irrelevant how long the Gospel Mission has been there.
It is not like it is a heritage building that should be maintained and kept going in the same place.
40 years ago it would have been innocuous to the surrounding community.
It has outgrown it's place in the area.

exactly.............
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If you think that post was accurate, pray tell where do you think it should go that would be relevant?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Fancy wrote:If you think that post was accurate, pray tell where do you think it should go that would be relevant?

I vote for Syria or Afghanistan. They can replace the refugees coming here. :up:
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I can only imagine what our downtown or parks would look like without the KGM in a location that's downtown. We would have makeshift camps and countless sleeping in the street which is hardly a better solution.

The homeless aren't going to commute so it has to be located where they already are which will be downtown regardless of whether or not the KGM is there. We should just be appreciative that someone is willing to do what they do and show this appreciation by donating to them if you can.

https://kelownagospelmission.ca/donate/
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The moment KGM even were to announce a move, every area in this city would become NIMBY.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Fancy wrote:If you think that post was accurate, pray tell where do you think it should go that would be relevant?

The Christian Valley.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Please don't ruin the Christian Valley
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

hell yeah .stick them out at rendell creek ranch and house them in the old commune buildings
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

logman wrote:Please don't ruin the Christian Valley

They can cross back into the city limits dead in a hearse or clean and sober on two feet.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Fancy wrote:
KevinJP wrote:Oooh, I can hear it now. If they make any move, it's going to be Rutland.
Where would it possibly be located to access essential services?

The old North 40 bar. Been sitting empty for years now. The mobile injection motorhome sets up right across the highway behind the dialysis building, and the park is right there to pass out in...perfect
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
al56kelman

Post by al56kelman »

Why not relocate the GM beside the welfare offices on Dilworth? Unless its been rented/ leased, the property next door to the ministry of social services would be an excellent location. It's industrial, out of the way and fairly central in the city.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Everyone talks about relocating the Gospel Mission like you can just scoop it up and drop it somewhere.

I don't think the Gospel Mission wants to move.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

JayByrd wrote:Everyone talks about relocating the Gospel Mission like you can just scoop it up and drop it somewhere.

I don't think the Gospel Mission wants to move.

No different than relocating any business. The problem is having the clientele relocate. I like the idea of it locating out next to the welfare offices (didn't know that's where they were) being a more commercial/semi-industrial area away from your typical shoppers. Of course, that also removes a large source of revenue for the KGM clientele that engage in panhandling.

Return to “Central Okanagan”