Beware The Hazards Re: Sandbag Removal

URudolph

Beware The Hazards Re: Sandbag Removal

Post by URudolph »

For property owners whose properties have sandbags to be removed, it is important to understand the risks in handling them for removal. For the most part, there is minimal risk when handing the plastic poly-ethelene plastic bags and only to those bags that had been wet. More importantly, it is in the handling of the burlap bags that had been or are still wet, particularly those bags that had been on the bottom two layers... they most likely are a bio-hazard as they contain molds. If the bags and the sand contained within appears black, grey or green they must be handled carefully. In some areas, E-coli contamination is also present. Be aware that the task of removing these bags is hard and arduous work so take frequent rest breaks. Best to keep your younger children and pets clear of these bags, as well.

Some simple precautions include using N95 particulate masks. These are recommended as well as the use of sturdy nitrile mechanics cloves. Both should be exchanged frequently and never re-used. Don't use garden or standard work gloves that will become wet. Wash your hands with warm soapy water and use a hand sanitizer before touching your face, and wash your clothes separately in hot water.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Beware The Hazards Re: Sandbag Removal

Post by Relentless »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#207973

Apparently someone forgot to remove a few sandbags from the shoreline... :up:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The plastic bags were a nightmare to remove as they just fell apart.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

UltraViolet wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-207973-1-.htm#207973

Apparently someone forgot to remove a few sandbags from the shoreline... :up:

Brenda Bachmann will see to it that it takes on the importance of nuclear fusion.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

I would go help cleanup if the homeowners weren't so selfish about having the beach to themselves. Wasn't it nice for people to come help them save "their" beach though?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

sulchie wrote:I would go help cleanup if the homeowners weren't so selfish about having the beach to themselves. Wasn't it nice for people to come help them save "their" beach though?

Per the article:
“If they are on private property they are the responsibility of the property owner to dispose of,” said Tom Wilson, Communications Manager at City of Kelowna. “If they’re on public land the municipality is responsible for taking them away.”

Wilson added the City of Kelowna is investigating this incident and will provide an update when more information is available.

According to Brenda Bachmann, this is on the "public walkway" so it's the municipality's responsibility to clean it up. Nice try though.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

URudolph wrote:For property owners whose properties have sandbags to be removed, it is important to understand the risks in handling them for removal. For the most part, there is minimal risk when handing the plastic poly-ethelene plastic bags and only to those bags that had been wet. More importantly, it is in the handling of the burlap bags that had been or are still wet, particularly those bags that had been on the bottom two layers... they most likely are a bio-hazard as they contain molds. If the bags and the sand contained within appears black, grey or green they must be handled carefully. In some areas, E-coli contamination is also present. Be aware that the task of removing these bags is hard and arduous work so take frequent rest breaks. Best to keep your younger children and pets clear of these bags, as well.

Some simple precautions include using N95 particulate masks. These are recommended as well as the use of sturdy nitrile mechanics cloves. Both should be exchanged frequently and never re-used. Don't use garden or standard work gloves that will become wet. Wash your hands with warm soapy water and use a hand sanitizer before touching your face, and wash your clothes separately in hot water.

its amazing how fragile people have become throw some gloves on and remove them I know it will be tempting to lick some of the bags but if you refrain from licking them you should survive
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thousands removed - still alive.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

theres e coli in lake always not all e coli or mold are bad has any one tested
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Bags should be removed but shame on these lakefront owners trying to turn this into a health hazard. Roll up your prima donna sleeves Brenda Bachmann, and help clean up the mess that also coincidentally protected your multi million dollar yard.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Seems kind of small potatoes when you think of whats going on down south. Quite sure the city will take care of it . and barring any more nasty weather events will be a distant memory next spring.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

steve mc wrote:theres e coli in lake always not all e coli or mold are bad has any one tested

We did a test in Peachland as the water receded, I believe n June. Came back e coli do not drink. Had to put a water treatment system on. A friend suggested due to the water being stirred up that is not uncommon.

As for the bags, I do hope the City bills them back. That just is not right leaving them on the shore.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Ok so what I don't understand is why when all the sandbag removal crews where working this spot never came up.
I my self was on one of the crews removing sand bags from all over. Every morning for weeks we had meetings in the lot across from the fire hall on enterprise. We where all handed daily maps of locations to clean up and truck to one of the dump location. At one point there was a boat out scanning the beach line to see where bags had been placed so that we could remove them.

Yes some of the bags had mold and could been seen very clearly as well. We had masks and latex gloves on to remove them and they had to be handled gently so they would not break open. The white bags got brittle from the sun but the burlap ones where the main source of mold.

This task will be a lot harder after the hot weather we have had as most of those bags look very brittle. This job could have been done pretty fast when we had many hands on deck. Now we will have to wait and see how long this job will take and how many people will be getting there hands dirty.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

well it seems to me the folks whose houses were protected should be cleaning this up . what a mess .
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

gsc wrote:Ok so what I don't understand is why when all the sandbag removal crews where working this spot never came up.
I my self was on one of the crews removing sand bags from all over. Every morning for weeks we had meetings in the lot across from the fire hall on enterprise. We where all handed daily maps of locations to clean up and truck to one of the dump location. At one point there was a boat out scanning the beach line to see where bags had been placed so that we could remove them.

Yes some of the bags had mold and could been seen very clearly as well. We had masks and latex gloves on to remove them and they had to be handled gently so they would not break open. The white bags got brittle from the sun but the burlap ones where the main source of mold.

This task will be a lot harder after the hot weather we have had as most of those bags look very brittle. This job could have been done pretty fast when we had many hands on deck. Now we will have to wait and see how long this job will take and how many people will be getting there hands dirty.

Interesting to hear someone on the front line. I have a question you may have knowledge of.

F the sand bags were filled from above the lake out of gravel pits, why could this sand not be left on the beaches?

In my opinion it is no different then the sand that flows down the creeks off mountain sides during spring runoff.
I presented this to a highly educated individual and he had a dumb look on his face and no answer. I can certainly understand if the sand was imported from another region it may have foreign matter in it not from this ecosystem.

Lastly bags which were saturated with lake water now contain clean washed out sand, so what is the concern?

I may be missing something what do you know of this?

Return to “Central Okanagan”