Breastfeeding to fight stigma

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Breastfeeding to fight stigma

Post by Silverstarqueen »

However, not many people would criticize a mother for feeding her baby a bottle in public. Yet quite a few seem to feel it is their business if she breastfeeds her baby in public. Which is why breastfeeding moms need more consideration than they are getting so far. Not allowing a mother to breastfeed in public would essentially be pressuring her to bottle feed, unless you expect her to be a shut in at home, or just allow her baby to scream in the mall if the baby gets hungry. It is no one else's business how a mother feeds her child, but still there are people who think it is.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

well said!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:tell that to a pedofile

Can't believe you'd stoop to this level in the discussion. No wonder breastfeeding needs to be in the news periodically - to remind people how infants are fed to start with.
Last edited by Fancy on Oct 1st, 2017, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Oct 1st, 2017, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Made a mistake - sorry about that. I fixed the quote and I don't lie - that was uncalled for.
sillykitty

Post by sillykitty »

Personally, I have no problem with public: breastfeeding, urination, masterbation. Heck, use a breast pump in public, doesn’t bother me. There all natural bodily functions practiced the world over. But, I guess certain bodily functions have to be done in private. Or a the very least segregated male/ female washrooms.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

sillykitty wrote:But, I guess certain bodily functions have to be done in private. Or a the very least segregated male/ female washrooms.
That has already been established and has nothing to do with breastfeeding.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I'm amazed that there is ANY opposition to women feeding their babies in public, much less as much opposition as I'm seeing on this forum.

The problem seems to be that there are some who associate women's breasts with sex, and that's all they can see. But breasts are not sexual objects they are nature's method of providing food for babies. That is their primary purpose.

I used to be opposed to having women go topless in public places, but it occurs to me that if they did it more the sexual allure of breasts would eventually lessen as seeing them would become commonplace. Kind of like in the past when seeing a woman's ankle was considered sexual, yet nowadays nobody thinks anything of it.

So maybe we should all go topless so that breast feeding women would no longer be such an unusual (and apparently shocking) sight.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
spooker

Post by spooker »

Merry wrote:The problem seems to be that there are some who associate women's breasts with sex, and that's all they can see. But breasts are not sexual objects they are nature's method of providing food for babies. That is their primary purpose.

I used to be opposed to having women go topless in public places, but it occurs to me that if they did it more the sexual allure of breasts would eventually lessen as seeing them would become commonplace. Kind of like in the past when seeing a woman's ankle was considered sexual, yet nowadays nobody thinks anything of it.

So maybe we should all go topless so that breast feeding women would no longer be such an unusual (and apparently shocking) sight.

Sort of like thinking that a nice wooden chair is all about the tools, it wasn't the saw that created the furniture but the mind using the tool ... the equipment to have sex does not mean "sexual" and should stop being viewed that way so we can get back some normalcy and parity ... babies feed, breasts provide milk, if you're mind goes somewhere else, that's your problem ...
sixxonesixx
Fledgling

Post by sixxonesixx »

Society is always going to have "weird" sorts. But to invite these same people with fetishes/perversions to such an event may be asking for problems. I guess it's okay to bring cameras? Ladies... do what you please but be wary of the stray dogs. It's not wrong but I'm still of old school belief that a personal interaction between a mother and her child is a private affair and not one to just state that she can pull out her teet because she can. Granted a child has to be fed. but to just hang it out anytime anywhere? Is it okay to breastfeed in church? Or change a diaper in a restaurant? Waiting to see who has the courage to try the church one...
Just sayin...
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

You would have to have been living under a rock if you did not notice how much our society has sexualized breasts. So a lot of people have this ingrained( along with the sexualization of many parts of a woman's body (lips, hair, skin, ankles apparently are out, but probably not for everyone). So women have to run around carefully worrying about someone else's little fettish, instead of getting on with their day, or feeding their baby. Thank goodness we don't have to wear a full body suit, well I guess we do if not at the beach, but couldn't we just let mothers fed their babies and not get too hung up on the equipment required to do it?
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

sixxonesixx wrote: Is it okay to breastfeed in church? Or change a diaper in a restaurant? Waiting to see who has the courage to try the church one....

I did feed my baby in church, and that was nearly 40 years ago. Yes, there were some who gave me dirty looks, but it was better than letting the baby cry through the entire service.

As for changing a diaper, well that I did in the bathroom. But there is no comparison between the two.

Changing a diaper is both smelly and messy, whereas breastfeeding is neither.
Last edited by Merry on Oct 3rd, 2017, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

sixxonesixx wrote:Society is always going to have "weird" sorts. But to invite these same people with fetishes/perversions to such an event may be asking for problems. I guess it's okay to bring cameras? Ladies... do what you please but be wary of the stray dogs. It's not wrong but I'm still of old school belief that a personal interaction between a mother and her child is a private affair and not one to just state that she can pull out her teet because she can. Granted a child has to be fed. but to just hang it out anytime anywhere? Is it okay to breastfeed in church? Or change a diaper in a restaurant? Waiting to see who has the courage to try the church one...
Just sayin...

In church?
If it's good enough for Mary and Jesus, it's good enough for me.
https://churchpop.com/2014/08/10/31-bea ... aby-jesus/

So a woman is not supposed to attend church as long as she's breastfeeding?
I seem to have missed that instruction in my religious education.

ANd we are back to changing diapers in a restaurant again, sure if there's a place to change a baby. Relevance to breastfeeding?
sillykitty

Post by sillykitty »

Fancy wrote:
sillykitty wrote:But, I guess certain bodily functions have to be done in private. Or a the very least segregated male/ female washrooms.
That has already been established and has nothing to do with breastfeeding.

Established by whom? Those who hold Victorian prudishness a virtue? Religious moralists? council of elders?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

sillykitty wrote:Established by whom? Those who hold Victorian prudishness a virtue? Religious moralists? council of elders?

lol - c'mon. Every restaurant has a restroom - restrooms have already been established in public places. That's not what breastfeeding is all about. Get with the topic please.

Return to “Social Concerns”