Caribbean Cruise

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
V-Rated
Guru

Caribbean Cruise

Post by V-Rated »

Thinking of going on a cruise... looking for anyone that has done one and any advice and tips. Thinking of going this winter.
TIA ~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Caribbean Cruise

Post by Bsuds »

We have done 3 Cruises there and the best one was through the Panama Canal.

The one we did in March this year was the South Caribbean for 14 days but many of the places we went were heavily damaged by the Hurricanes.

What kind of info are you looking for?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Morning Sudsy! Any kind of information actually. B/friend and I are thinking of doing a cruise and we both know nothing about going on one. We can only afford (timewise) to take a 7 day cruise considering travel down and return it would be a 10 trip. Did you book through an agent, on your own... what to look for in a room, I understand they are all tiny but worth having the deck? Tips on what to take. Hidden costs. Anything that you think would help.
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We book with an agent for a couple of reasons as we use our Visa points for the air travel.
You will get the same prices thru an agent as you will from the Cruise line websites so why not let them do the work for you.

The balconies are really nice when going in and out of ports and to sit and have coffee etc but you won't spend much time in your room anyway.

Plan your off ship excursions well in advance but you can do it onboard or off ship when you land. (much cheaper)
We enjoyed the bus tours on our last trip but mostly wander the shopping areas.

The drink packages are nice but pricey. If you don't drink a lot of alcohol then you might avoid those but even bottled water on the ships is expensive. We got the non alcoholic one the last trip but I realized after that we needed to drink 6 pops a day each to break even.

Everything on the ship that you purchase extra is put on your "Tab" and you pay with your charge card before you leave the ship. Any on board credits they give you will go towards paying that as well. Your daily gratuities is in there too.

Depending on flights if you can't arrive with lots of time to get to the ship then go a day early and stay in a hotel. They won't wait if your flight is delayed. Give lots of time on the return flight too as it takes time to get off the ship and to the airport.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If you plan on eating in the main dining then there is a dress code on most ships. Check the website for more info on what you need. We were on Celebrity and except for formal nights you were good with slacks/dress and a nice top/shirt.

They also have "Specialty " restaurants that you pay extra to eat in. We eat mostly in the Buffet as the selection is better and I have some restrictions that I try to stick to. Eat in the dining room at least once to see what it's like.

If you are inclined to sit around the pool then get there early as space is limited and fills fast. People aren't supposed to "save" a spot but they do and get away with it all the time.

Take the minimum in clothes that you will need. I tend to buy a Tee shirt in all the ports so I come home with more than I take. lol

You will need US cash in the ports for shopping and there is a safe in each cabin to keep your valuables. Use it!

Lots to do and learn on a first cruise but mostly have fun and enjoy yourself. Anything I've missed then just ask.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If you are looking at flight availability then depending on where your ship is departing from the Ft Lauderdale airport is not that far from the Port of Miami. We found it easier to get flights to FL rather than Miami.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”