Flaggers needs manners

Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Flaggers needs manners

Post by Gixxer »

umm what are talking about? Are you saying that all people that deal with the public must do so In a polite and courtesy way at all times? Awww society has turned into a bunch of snowflakes. That mean TCP used a stern vocie that I didn't approve of. It was so mean that I let if affect the rest of my day even so much that I took it to social media.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Gixxer wrote:umm what are talking about? Are you saying that all people that deal with the public must do so In a polite and courtesy way at all times? Awww society has turned into a bunch of snowflakes. That mean TCP used a stern vocie that I didn't approve of. It was so mean that I let if affect the rest of my day even so much that I took it to social media.

Interesting how you've changed the story around.

The subject of the article, at 1:30 AM sees a dangerous mistake in signage. He reports that he stopped to alert flaggers of the problem. Apparently before he could advise or be listened to "he was yelled at to move along".

He continued on as instructed and stopped closer to the active construction area. He stopped again to alert another flag person of the error. "Another woman came up, before I could even say a word, and started yelling and screaming at me "to get back in your car" ". He took out his phone to try to show her the problem (photo) and was told in unsavory terms to leave or she would "smash his phone".

Perhaps in your world that type of action by the "professional" flagging staff equals a simple "stern voice", in mine that is complete unprofessional conduct indicating a need for retraining, or perhaps a change of employment.

As far as your statement : "Are you saying that all people that deal with the public must do so In a polite and courtesy way at all times?"

We are not dealing with a member of the public that was already in an interaction with the flagger, we are dealing with a member of the public attempting to provide, what seems to be important information to the flagger and without finding out the fabric of the citizen's concerns, the flagger is rude and dismissive in the extreme.

So you are the flag team's boss, you are advised that your staff displayed incorrect signage that created a possible danger.

You are advised that a concerned citizen attempts to advise two different flaggers of this situation. Each flagger is verbally abusive, to the extent of threatening to damage private property of the citizen if he doesn't comply with demands, all without determining the content of the citizen's concerns.

Taking into account that, yes, at times these "professional" flagger are subject to abuse, although not from this concerned citizen, you would conclude that their actions were perfectly appropriate and in line with proper procedure ?

How should this concerned citizen advise someone in authority of this signage problem, by letter to the companies head office ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

How did I change to story around???
jinglebell

Post by jinglebell »

some of them couldn't smile if you payed them 100 an hr too
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

jinglebell wrote:some of them couldn't smile if you payed them 100 an hr too

They dont get paid to smile
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I've been on both sides of this and I know there are provinces with far better standards and that's 20+yrs ago.
BC is by far the worse with the use of ping pong slow/stop paddles,positioning , very poor signage throughout construction zones, very poor removal of those signs in a timely manner etc, and the lack of attention.
The whole point is to prevent collisions and keep frustrations down.
If you get one of these flaggers acting out on dash cam , report it.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I suggested to one of the TCP last year to attach a gopro to their stop sign to record all the harassment and verbal absuse they have to put up with on a daily bases. Then post that footage on youtube to publicly shame those that do.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Gixxer wrote:I suggested to one of the TCP last year to attach a gopro to their stop sign to record all the harassment and verbal absuse they have to put up with on a daily bases. Then post that footage on youtube to publicly shame those that do.

It works both ways, the sad thing is it's going to take a major jaw dropping accident to get better standards in place.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Gixxer wrote:How did I change to story around???

When a concerned citizen attempts to advise two flaggers of a potential dangerous situation with their signage, they :
a) Refused to listen
b) Yell and use abusive language
c) Threaten to damage personal property of the citizen

I suggest that's a long way from "That mean TCP used a stern voicie (sp)....."
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I passed 2 flaggers a few days ago, the one i approached first had a paddle, i crept closer cause it appeared as though he was not working it as it was hip level and would twirl slightly between slow & go, the other had his slow/go sign on a 6 ft pole where the sign did not only point the right direction for the opposite traffic but also worked to prop up the worker- that was the flagger(200 ft away) i used to read the situation.

I can't tell you how many times i've traveled to the coast on weekends only to see construction signs that were not relevant at the time, too lazy to cover them or pick them up. After awhile people just don't pay attention to them and you get a serious collision. Stupid!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

jimmy4321 wrote:I passed 2 flaggers a few days ago, the one i approached first had a paddle, i crept closer cause it appeared as though he was not working it as it was hip level and would twirl slightly between slow & go, the other had his slow/go sign on a 6 ft pole where the sign did not only point the right direction for the opposite traffic but also worked to prop up the worker- that was the flagger(200 ft away) i used to read the situation.

I can't tell you how many times i've traveled to the coast on weekends only to see construction signs that were not relevant at the time, too lazy to cover them or pick them up. After awhile people just don't pay attention to them and you get a serious collision. Stupid!

Your second point is exactly my concern, when police start enforcing construction zone speed limits.

Like you, I've experienced construction speed sign that appears to have been abandoned at the end of a day or work. There is no construction (ie, ditch cleaning had taken place), on the roadway remaining unfinished, nothing, just the speed sign. No, "End of Construction Zone resume speed"

So, do I continued at the construction speed forever ??

I realize speeding in construction zones is a problem, but the sometimes lackadaisical way, some flaggers conduct themselves causes motorists to perceive their directions less seriously.

It's difficult to believe that every flagger has gone through training and certification.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:It's difficult to believe that every flagger has gone through training and certification.

With some of them I find it difficult to believe they were smart enough to pass the course...oh wait they don't fail people these days they just give a "completed" the course. So all they did was show up! :-X
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Construction zone speed limits are 24 hours a day.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Gixxer wrote:Construction zone speed limits are 24 hours a day.

? They are in force the hours the signs are up.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Thats right if the construction speed limit signs are up they are enforced 24 hours a day 7 days a week regradless if there are workers on site.

Return to “North Okanagan”