Pets OK BC reaches 10000 in petition

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Pets OK BC reaches 10000 in petition

Post by maryjane48 »

Pets OK BC announced today that they have reached their goal of 10,000 signatures for their petition to change the no pets rental restrictions in B.C.

Pets OK BC is a movement advocating for the abolition of unreasonable pet restrictions in rental housing across the province of B.C.

“We think families with pets should have equal access to housing, equal opportunity, and not face discrimination when it comes to looking for a place to live,” says the organization’s Eliot Galan in an announcement on the Pets OK BC Facebook.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Re: Pets OK BC reaches 10000 in petition

Post by mikest2 »

So if I have a pet free house, is it unreasonable for me to not rent my suite to tenants with a pet ?
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

While I agree there are just too many people who don't care if there pet damages a rental house. The owners who don't want to deal with this may just stop renting.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

My wife managed two large apartment blocks that allowed pets and after seeing the damage that was done we never allowed pets in any properties we owned and rented. Not everyone was bad but almost every pet apartment was damaged by pets some very badly. IF we were still renting and a law like that came in we would probably stop and sell the properties. You do not make enough money to put up with the possible damage.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

“I am not quite confident that they will recognize that pet-friendly housing is in such short supply that it requires urgent attention.”

http://www.news1130.com/2017/10/01/peti ... ignatures/

Way to go - make sure housing will be on the decrease to all because no one will want to be forced to deal with unruly pets.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

lol, headline can read 10,000 people declare they don't give a crap what happens to other people's things"

Personally I'm amazed it wasn't much higher. I've seen just how little people care as a regular renter let alone with pets.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

They can get a million signatures if they want. No way they will ever be able to make this happen. My investment, my decision! It sucks but to many irresponsible pet owners have forced this...and I am a pet owner.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I also am a pet owner. I was brought up on a farm and love animals. I still would never rent to pet owners.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

canada allows people to have pets. and to say every pet owner or even the majority would let their pets wreck a place. if it does become law and you want out because of it good. see yea .
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

maryjane48 wrote:canada allows people to have pets. and to say every pet owner or even the majority would let their pets wreck a place. if it does become law and you want out because of it good. see yea .

Never become law..... mark this day and start another forum when it does.... [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

I don't believe you people. Children cause far more damage to rental units than animals do. Geez, I hope I never run into any of you animal-haters on the street. You'd probably grab my doggie's leash and strangle him with it.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Nope far from it. How many places have you rented to someone in your life. Where does your knowledge come from? Have you ever tried to get cat urine out of a carpet or the wood underneath it? Crayon can be removed from walls. Even damaged walls can easily be repaired. Someone plugging the toilet or garburator is an easy fix, not so with a lot of pet damage.

Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Cactusflower wrote:I don't believe you people. Children cause far more damage to rental units than animals do. Geez, I hope I never run into any of you animal-haters on the street. You'd probably grab my doggie's leash and strangle him with it.

I wouldn't rent to people with kids either! [icon_lol2.gif] I don't like kids and I don't like pets.

You don't like it? Too bad. They're my rules. I'm the one with the house and you're not. Who do you think is in the better position for negotiating? :biggrin:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I love dogs....have a Standard poodle that is just plain awesome. :up:
But I also own my own home. I would *never* rent a place to another pet owner.

*NEVER*

Now most people are good pet owners that keep their pets clean and train them not to destroy their residence.
It is the other folks who can destroy a couple of years worth of equity and rental income, that I would worry about.
Willing to play Russian roulette with your tenant vetting?

I am not.
Having a pet is a privilege...not a right.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:canada allows people to have pets. and to say every pet owner or even the majority would let their pets wreck a place. if it does become law and you want out because of it good. see yea .

so freaking dumb
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”