Pets OK BC reaches 10000 in petition

alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Pets OK BC reaches 10000 in petition

Post by alfred2 »

Cactusflower wrote:I don't believe you people. Children cause far more damage to rental units than animals do. Geez, I hope I never run into any of you animal-haters on the street. You'd probably grab my doggie's leash and strangle him with it.

this is the stupidist law [if it happens] to ever come to light. :cuss:
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Nothing will come of this, other than blathering.
Your bias suits you.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

After many years of being a homeowner and having absolutely NO control of who bought the house next door, let me say that now being a renter for the first time in decades, it was a miracle that I found a multiplex housing suite that does not allow pets.

Peace and quiet at last!

no dogs barking endlessly, pooping in my yard (which I had to deal with, yuk), no cat spray on my patio furniture...I'm in hog heaven!

At one time I did let out a rental unit and unfortunately believed tenants who said that their animals were perfectly behaved. Many headaches and dollars later, I sold just for peace of mind. It just was not worth it.

My advice to anyone of good character and clean habits and just can't find a place to rent that will accept two dogs/cats...it's one or the other. Landlords can easily find tenants without the baggage and potential problems.

:smt045
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I know a single mom who was looking for a place to rent and couldn't find one. Oh woe is me she kept saying. Then I finally found out why she couldn't find a place, it was because of her dog. Think about your son, and get rid of the dog I said. Well that was beyond the pale, how could I even suggest such a thing. So her kid has to suffer because she has to have a stupid dog. In our society now owning pets seems to be considered a human right. It's not a human right. And if you allow your pet to negatively affect your life, well being and ability to find shelter, that is all on you.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
redwine

Post by redwine »

I like dogs more than I like people, I am also a landlord that allows pets but I do not agree with this if it were to become law. For starters so many more people would go and get dogs and cats "because they can" and when they realise they actually are a lot of work our SPCA will be the pups new home. My investment, my decision on who lives in it.
perhaps the straight and narrow would be wider if more people used it
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Are you kidding? There's no way anyone would 'go out and get dogs and cats because they can'. People have pets because they love them, not because someone made a law that says they are able to have them. Anyone who knows anything about human nature knows that.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

I don't find the dog or cat as the problem here at all its the fat broad on welfare with her 3 undisciplined snot nose brats that are the problem; they simply are incapable/too ignorant to look out for the pet in the first place :130:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Are you kidding? There's no way anyone would 'go out and get dogs and cats because they can'. People have pets because they love them, not because someone made a law that says they are able to have them. Anyone who knows anything about human nature knows that.
The SPCA is well aware of people acquiring pets on a whim and dropping them off when they are tired of them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Are you kidding? There's no way anyone would 'go out and get dogs and cats because they can'. People have pets because they love them, not because someone made a law that says they are able to have them. Anyone who knows anything about human nature knows that.

Mmmm, now you have me wondering. What segment of the population of the 10,000 petition signers are wanting to FORCE landlords into having their rental suites turned into kennels?

It probably isn't those who have pets who have found rentals.

Could it be that those who cannot find rentals and have pets or wish to acquire them?

A look at the rental ads indicates that there is a dwindling enthusiasm on the part of landlords to accept animals, possibly due to past unhappy experience doing so. If push comes to shove and this silly petition gains ground, expect even fewer rentals to be on the market. It's easier to sell the the units rather than the costly cleanups after renters/animals vacate.

:130:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that it's not the animals that are responsible for the expensive clean-ups, except of course for those dastardly cats that keep urinating on Smurf's carpets. :smt045
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Smurf...are those your dang carpets I see forever hanging out to air????

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] :biggrin:

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that it's not the animals that are responsible for the expensive clean-ups,...

No, it's the landlords that end up cleaning up after ignorant tenants and their animals.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I've rented for many, many years and have had a dog all that time. When I wanted to rent a place I would always take my dog with me and walk through the place with my dog on leash so the landlords could see how I handled the dog and how well behaved he was. I was never refused a rental. Mind, I had the advantage of being able to work from home and be home with my dog at all times. I would also explain to prospective landlords that I wanted to have my home well-ordered and kept clean because in effect, their premises was MY HOME! Only one time did I have to pay part of my damage deposit to have a kitchen counter replaced - not because of my dog, it was because of my DIL putting a hot pan on the counter surface.

I always got my pet damage deposit back.

BUT - if I were a landlord (which I was at one time and evicted a nest of renters) I would NOT rent to people who worked all day and left dogs/cats all on their own all that time.

If I was a landlord, I would stipulate, before renting my place to anyone, that I be allowed to visit their current residence.
:biggrin:
Chill
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

So, judging from your post, you are NOT one of the signees of the petition. You seem to be one if those pet owners who ARE responsible and possibly would object to those who are not. Who wants to be tarred with the same brush that indicates all pet owners are irresponsible?

Kudos.

However, you may be in a minority position, otherwise, why is such a petition floating around demanding that owners MUST take in pets?

:130:

Unknown
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

The Green Barbarian wrote:I know a single mom who was looking for a place to rent and couldn't find one. Oh woe is me she kept saying. Then I finally found out why she couldn't find a place, it was because of her dog. Think about your son, and get rid of the dog I said. Well that was beyond the pale, how could I even suggest such a thing. So her kid has to suffer because she has to have a stupid dog. In our society now owning pets seems to be considered a human right. It's not a human right. And if you allow your pet to negatively affect your life, well being and ability to find shelter, that is all on you.

Because she has to have a stupid dog?? Clearly you never owned a pet and if u have, poor animals...... I would never get rid of my animals....there is always a way...

Return to “B.C.”