Sexsmith Rd and Reid's Corner daily Clusterduck

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Sexsmith Rd and Reid's Corner daily Clusterduck

Post by lesliepaul »

construction zone. Its 30 Km/h unless posted otherwise. So in-fact, they could have handed out tickets to anyone going over 30 Km/h until they hit that 60 sign.
[/quote]

You are oh so wrong!
John Crawford
Fledgling

Post by John Crawford »

Sat in the south bound lanes at Edwards and 97. Lights are flashing fourway stop, instead of leaving the drivers to use the fourway stop rule, the Flagger, with NO flag, points to me, then a drivers on Edwards turning south and a driver turning left on to Edwards from the northbound lane and indicated we all move at once, I just sat there, as the two other drivers being observant allowed one another space, I moved off after them. We have total lack of safty supervision on this project.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

lesliepaul wrote:
construction zone. Its 30 Km/h unless posted otherwise. So in-fact, they could have handed out tickets to anyone going over 30 Km/h until they hit that 60 sign.

You are oh so wrong![/quote]

just going by the driving school
"Freeways speed limits are usually: (N 1, 99, 91) 80 km/h = 49 mph, and 100 km/h = 62 m/h. Highway speed limits are between: ( 7, 7b, etc) 60 km/h and 70 km/h . Speed limits in school zones and around playgrounds are: 30 km/h = 18 m/h. Speed limit in construction zones is: 30 km/h (if no speed limit is posted).
drive in BC - K2 Driving School
k2driving.com/drivingBC.html"
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

vinnied wrote:just going by the driving school
"Freeways speed limits are usually: (N 1, 99, 91) 80 km/h = 49 mph, and 100 km/h = 62 m/h. Highway speed limits are between: ( 7, 7b, etc) 60 km/h and 70 km/h . Speed limits in school zones and around playgrounds are: 30 km/h = 18 m/h. Speed limit in construction zones is: 30 km/h (if no speed limit is posted).

And all this time, I thought the speed limits were regulated by the Motor Vehicle Act.

It's the driving schools !,,,,, Ah now I get it.

Kidding aside, lesliepaul is correct.

Work in progress
    138 On a highway where new construction, reconstruction, widening, repair, marking or other work is being carried out, traffic control devices must be erected indicating that persons or equipment are working on the highway.

Erection of speed sign
    139 On a highway where new construction, reconstruction, widening, repair, marking or other work is being carried out, traffic control devices must be erected to limit the rate of speed of vehicles or to restrict the manner in which the vehicles are to proceed on the highway.

Obedience to speed signs
    140 Where traffic control devices as indicated in section 138 or 139 are erected or placed on the highway, a person must not drive or operate a vehicle at a greater rate of speed than, or in a manner different from, that indicated on the signs.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

my5cents wrote:
vinnied wrote:just going by the driving school

And all this time, I thought the speed limits were regulated by the Motor Vehicle Act.

It's the driving schools !,,,,, Ah now I get it.

Kidding aside, lesliepaul is correct.

Work in progress
    138 On a highway where new construction, reconstruction, widening, repair, marking or other work is being carried out, traffic control devices must be erected indicating that persons or equipment are working on the highway.

Erection of speed sign
    139 On a highway where new construction, reconstruction, widening, repair, marking or other work is being carried out, traffic control devices must be erected to limit the rate of speed of vehicles or to restrict the manner in which the vehicles are to proceed on the highway.

Obedience to speed signs
    140 Where traffic control devices as indicated in section 138 or 139 are erected or placed on the highway, a person must not drive or operate a vehicle at a greater rate of speed than, or in a manner different from, that indicated on the signs.

That tells us nothing other then the construction crew done goofed, and didnt post the signage. Sometime mistakes happen. So then what is the speed limit when there is no signage telling you, such as was described in this instance? The speed limit before construction started was 80 Km/h in that area certainly your not going to do 80 Km/h through a construction zone. And I cant find any info other then the driving schools. I will email them and ask where they got that from. It would be interesting to fight a ticket in court. would it get thrown out?.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

vinnied wrote: That tells us nothing other then the construction crew done goofed, and didnt post the signage. Sometime mistakes happen. So then what is the speed limit when there is no signage telling you, such as was described in this instance? The speed limit before construction started was 80 Km/h in that area certainly your not going to do 80 Km/h through a construction zone. And I cant find any info other then the driving schools. I will email them and ask where they got that from. It would be interesting to fight a ticket in court. would it get thrown out?.

From the story, there was apparently one 60 KPH sign. It would be up to the police officer to describe the area, and where the sign(s) were erected. Then the driver would tell his/her side and the justice would rule.

Who knows.

I think the driving school was suggesting the general practice of construction speed limits in different speed zones.

I would have thought that the construction speed limit would be based on the condition of the road and current dangers, not on the former (non construction) limit on the particular stretch of roadway.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Here is the reply from the email I had sent off

"Hello,

Read this:
http://www.bcdrivinglawyers.com/constru ... cone-zone/

Also you have to understand that all posted speed limits are for perfect road conditions . in case imperfect road conditions or if people working close to the road, or street is very narrow you may need to slow down more to be able to stop in time.
This are the basics.

Also you can check city by laws, it may have more details for each city by laws for parking and construction speeds.

Icbc requirements: on a driving test , all active constructions zones you should slow down to 30 km/h unless it is posted otherwise.

Alexandra"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

vinnied wrote:Here is the reply from the email I had sent off

"Hello,

Read this:
http://www.bcdrivinglawyers.com/constru ... cone-zone/

Also you have to understand that all posted speed limits are for perfect road conditions . in case imperfect road conditions or if people working close to the road, or street is very narrow you may need to slow down more to be able to stop in time.
This are the basics.

Also you can check city by laws, it may have more details for each city by laws for parking and construction speeds.

Icbc requirements: on a driving test , all active constructions zones you should slow down to 30 km/h unless it is posted otherwise.

Alexandra"

Ah, OK, now I see what the driving school is talking about....

They aren't talking about a "Construction Area" they are talking about is passing "an official vehicle" on the side of the roadway.

It's quite complicated because there are several section of the MVA and the MVA Regs that refer to each other that creates and completes the law regarding when to slow and move over, and for who.

The link provided, takes one to an ad site for lawyers who apparently specialize in defending traffic tickets. I don't know how good they are, however, since part way through they indicate the section where some of the law pertaining to this topic can be found in "Division 47 in the MVA"

There is no "Division 47" in the MVA (Motor Vehicle Act), there is however "Division 47" in the Regulations Pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Act, which is a completely different book (or site address)

Anyway they are talking about, police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, a few other emergency type services like CBSA, Park Rangers, tow trucks, snow removal equipment, and highway maintenance equipment being used on a highway during highway maintenance or construction.

For the law of "Move over and slow down" to kick in the vehicle must be in one of the authorized categories and displaying the flashing lights. A vehicle approaching or passing such a vehicle must slow down (and it prescribes the speeds) and if possible and safe, move into another lane. (that's what it says, presumable they mean get out of the lane closest to the official vehicle)

Note: This law only describes moving over and slowing "when approaching or passing an official vehicle".

So a maintenance vehicle parked at the side of the roadway along a stretch where some work is being conducted doesn't create a construction zone and a need for a motorist to slow for a construction zone, just to slow and move over while going by the maintenance vehicle.

In fact the MVA in Sections 138 and 139, it actually states that when work is being conducted on a highway, traffic control devices (ie signs) MUST be erected indicating work on the highway and there MUST be traffic control devices erected to limit the rate of speed of vehicles or to limit the manner in which vehicles are to proceed.

So the full answer is that NO, just the fact there is work at the side of the roadway, does NOT create a construction zone that has an automatic speed limit. If there is work, the onus is upon the workers to erect signs. A vehicle displaying flashing lights at a construction zone, only requires traffic immediately passing the vehicle to move over and slow.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Q: when there are two lanes of traffic going north, and two south, and an ambulance or firetruck is coming up behind you, should you move into the right lane, slowing speed and yet still travelling, or do you come to a full stop at the side of the road?

I have noticed that in kamloops everyone pulls into the right hand lane and comes to a full stop.

In vernon there are signs saying pull over and slow. Traffic keeps on moving but in the far right lane.

Which, according to the motor vehicle act, is the correct procedure?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Catsumi wrote:Q: when there are two lanes of traffic going north, and two south, and an ambulance or firetruck is coming up behind you, should you move into the right lane, slowing speed and yet still travelling, or do you come to a full stop at the side of the road?

I have noticed that in kamloops everyone pulls into the right hand lane and comes to a full stop.

In vernon there are signs saying pull over and slow. Traffic keeps on moving but in the far right lane.

Which, according to the motor vehicle act, is the correct procedure?

According to BC Motor Vehicle Act in following link:
http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC ... section177

Added later: impo every emergency vehicle should be equipped with dash camera. Those not doing what it says in the link gets a ticket.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Ok, read it over. Thanks GordH.

However, it still is fuzzy to me. I did indicate in original question that it was four lanes I posited. The way the MVA reads, it sounds like there are only two lanes total without the option of just moving to the right. In that case, I could see a full stop being necessary.

Otherwise, why would there be a sign on hwy 6 stating "move over, slow down" ?

Clear as borscht.

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Added later: impo every emergency vehicle should be equipped with dash camera. Those not doing what it says in the link gets a ticket.
[/quote]

IMPO I do not think a ticket as you mention would hold up in court.........too many variables at play.

How about this........my vehicle is the first vehicle stopped at a red light. Emergency vehicle comes up behind blaring his horn and flashing lights..........do I have to go through the red light to clear a path for the emergency vehicle?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Catsumi wrote:Ok, read it over. Thanks GordH.

However, it still is fuzzy to me. I did indicate in original question that it was four lanes I posited. The way the MVA reads, it sounds like there are only two lanes total without the option of just moving to the right. In that case, I could see a full stop being necessary.

Otherwise, why would there be a sign on hwy 6 stating "move over, slow down" ?

Clear as borscht.

:biggrin:

Completely wrong. The signs you are referring to are addressing the semi news legislation where if an “official vehicle” is stopped at the side of a highway displaying flashing lights, you, driving by, must slow down and if safe pull into the lane further away from the stopped official vehicle, as you pass by.

On the approach of an emergency vehicle (not an official vehicle) you MUST pull to the curb clear of an intersection and STOP. Doesn’t matter if you are travelling on a ten lane roadway. Period.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Added later: impo every emergency vehicle should be equipped with dash camera. Those not doing what it says in the link gets a ticket.

lesliepaul wrote:IMPO I do not think a ticket as you mention would hold up in court.........too many variables at play.

Why not a similar camera on all emergency vehicles, to get those idiots that does not do the correct procedure.
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/cameras-to-catch-s ... -1.2745870
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

lesliepaul wrote:IMPO I do not think a ticket as you mention would hold up in court.........too many variables at play.

How about this........my vehicle is the first vehicle stopped at a red light. Emergency vehicle comes up behind blaring his horn and flashing lights..........do I have to go through the red light to clear a path for the emergency vehicle?

I don’t see any variables. The law is clear, pull over and stop. Not hard to understand.

No, turn partially to the right and stop so they can get around you.

But if you are at a red light, that means there should be no oncoming traffic strange the emergency vehicle wouldn’t be on the wrong side of the roadway, to get by.

Return to “Central Okanagan”