Light controlled left lane turns at intersections

Home of the traffic rant.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Light controlled left lane turns at intersections

Post by Gixxer »

Whats with some drivers at light controlled left lane turns? They drive so slow that only 1-2 vehicles can make the turn on the green.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Light controlled left lane turns at intersections

Post by whatwhat »

It's annoying??? But you can't force people to drive faster. Take a deep breath and use patience.
hail Satan y'all
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Gixxer wrote:Whats with some drivers at light controlled left lane turns? They drive so slow that only 1-2 vehicles can make the turn on the green.

Please do not impede their texting.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Slow is one thing, not launching at all or at halftime sucks!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Gixxer wrote:Whats with some drivers at light controlled left lane turns? They drive so slow that only 1-2 vehicles can make the turn on the green.

lightspeed wrote:Please do not impede their texting.

Heaven forbid that call or text could make or break them, so don't pressure them to turn.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Funny...I have noticed the same thing.
I've lived in several cities across the country, and this behaviour (the entitled driver) seems worse in the Okanagan.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

We don't have the proper shade of green here.
Your bias suits you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Woodenhead wrote:We don't have the proper shade of green here.

Or red.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The way our bass ackwards lights are, at Ellis, if the Leon light is red, there's no way everyone turning from the highway during the advance green will fit, an I was oh-so-awkwardly stuck in the intersection one time. I was sternly reminded by the penetrating glares from Harvey southbound drivers that never should anyone proceed until they can clearly see their car will fit. Now, all bets are off if a damn tour bus is turning left into that alley to get to the restaurant. We're all screwed then.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Lulu123

Post by Lulu123 »

The left turn light needs audio. That way if someone is waiting to turn and is also texting, they will hear the "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. Then maybe more than 4 cars behind him can turn as well!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lulu123 wrote:The left turn light needs audio. That way if someone is waiting to turn and is also texting, they will hear the "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. Then maybe more than 4 cars behind him can turn as well!

Better still have a monkey with a club and if someone is texting then they get hit with the club!

Hard!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Lulu123 wrote:The left turn light needs audio. That way if someone is waiting to turn and is also texting, they will hear the "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. Then maybe more than 4 cars behind him can turn as well!

Actually that is already in place & is easy to use, the issue is up to next vehicle in line to implement it by pressing down on centre part of steering wheel. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

GordonH wrote:

Actually that is already in place & is easy to use, the issue is up to next vehicle in line to implement it by pressing down on centre part of steering wheel. lol

agreed - this one really pisses me off.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

This was a problem before texting. There are those drivers that seem they're afraid to make that left turn any faster than 10kph
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

It's all about timing and we have not managed to figure it out after all these years. If you allow cars to make a turn when through green is lit but they cannot do so until its clear and then add to that at least 2 cars in the intersection waiting there will always be a conflict. They wait maybe until its red then make their turn while the vehicles waiting to turn onto highway have a green arrow but cannot use it until the others have cleared the intersection. Add in boredom factor and a bit of phone checking and we have almost had the green arrow on time before anything moves!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”