Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Yes
46%
So-so
27%
No
28%

Total votes: 147

youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Post by youjustcomplain »

MAPearce wrote:I can't say I agree with that ... I too came from " Victoria" ish ( Saanich) and for the 35 plus years I lived there , I can't remember being fogged in for a month straight....

I also lived in Saanich for 35 years. I was unclear though. Fog would come and go, but I remember cloud hanging around for ages. So, it was more the cloud I didn't love through winter and summer alike.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I'm happy here. But I'd be happy pretty much anywhere, honestly. I'm weird like that. I guess my only complaint is cost of living/wages, but I do manage just fine.

Regarding "...socked in by cloud in the Okanagan for a few weeks" I don't mind that, being that I live where those clouds are below me on many days. It's a weird feeling when driving into work on a clear, cold, sunny day, then you round a bend and drive down thru the clouds into a socked-in Kelowna, where people at work complain about it being so damned overcast. Personally, I link that phenomena directly to work. :up:

"Try 3 weeks in Jan of -40 with a steady wind."

Damn, that ain't fun. Try building a few acres of greenhouses in those conditions - I did! Here's one trick I learned: when I needed a self-tapping metal screw out of my tool pouch but I couldn't feel my fingers any more, I'd simply lick a fingertip & voila! Screw emerges from pouch frozen to finger, can't drop it. [icon_lol2.gif] A crappy part of the experience was occasionally having to break the pee ice-stalagmite in the port-a-potty so you could sit down... :200:
Your bias suits you.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Absolutely.
I would not stay here if I didn't.
Transferred here from the coast in 2002 and have not looked back. I have met allot of great people and would not move back to any of the other towns I have lived in over the years (Vancouver, Calgary, Halifax, Montreal).
My two children were born here....and I hope to retire here. :D

I do like the island and I fly there once a month due to work.
The only things that make me rule out the island is cost and time to get off the island....and the likelihood of the whole damn thing being flatted in this up coming "Mega quake" the seismologists keep warning about.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

These are some of the negatives of Kelowna.

1. A major highway running through the centre of town with huge transport trucks, logging trucks, etc. Cuts like a sword through the heart of the city. Accidents, pollution and congestion. A bypass is needed.
2. We are all pretty well trapped in the valley bottoms. The mountains are pretty to look at but all the roads leading into them are industrial logging roads that are not maintained. Washouts, incredible washboard surfaces, potholes, big rocks, etc. Essentially off limits unless you don`t mind destroying your tires and suspension. The forest companies cut down trees that belong to the people of BC but deny the average citizen a decent way to access crown land. The government doesn`t care.
3. Lack of affordable housing. This is a major issue that is not being addressed here. We are not alone on this issue.
4.No local municipal police force where residents can become police officers. Instead we have a para-military federal police force where it can take years to get posted back here if ever, separating families.
5. An infrastructure that is not keeping up with the growing population. It is only going to get worse.
6. Very expensive to live. High rents, high food costs, high fuel prices and more.
7. Very little sunshine in the winter. I would trade cooler temperatures with bright sun for the horrible grey winters where we are socked in for weeks on end. It gets pretty depressing.
8. Fairly high crime rate, especially against personal property.
9. Lack of variety. One road north, one south, one east, one west. The ones east and west go through mountainous terrain with little to do. After you go up to Vernon and beyond a few times it gets boring. Same with the south. You have to drive for miles and miles to get any real change.
10. Lack of any real history. I used to love going to forts and pioneer villages, etc. Nothing like that around here. Father Pandosy`s Mission is the only one I can think of.
11. Pretty well trapped here in the winter unless you want to brave the hazardous highways that are not maintained that well or you can afford to fly everywhere.
12. Too hot in the summer. It gets so hot here that you can barely go outside and your body fights to stay cool.
13. Lack of good physicians. Somewhat mercenary dentists.
14.Lack of opportunity for many.

Of course there are positives. I especially appreciate the lack of mosquitoes. A person can enjoy being outside without being constantly swarmed and bitten. That is amazing. The scenery around here is dramatic and spectacular. While the winters are dull and grey, at least they don`t last that long and are not that cold. We have the lake to enjoy. People are generally friendly and nice. There are things to do if you seek them out.

I have lived in several cities in Canada over my life and they all have positives and negatives. I find Kelowna rather confining and dull and frustrating in many ways and many people struggle here just to make ends meet. But there are many worse places to live. Kelowna is becoming more cosmopolitan as time goes on and more people move here bringing with them positive attributes and positive energy. The whole Okanagan Valley is growing and changing. With that brings more opportunities.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I think most people who say they'll take cold winters with sunshine instead of warmer winters with grey skies, didn't grow up in the prairies. I much prefer being able to do things outside rather than spending the entire winter inside looking at the sun.

I'm not sure you understand how depressing and exhausting a multi-week coldsnap is. It's miserable and no amount of sunshine makes up for the searing pain of 40-below temperatures.

It's just brutal and you never get used to it.

I've steadily moved west over the past 20 years and Kelowna suits me perfectly. There's nowhere else I'd rather be.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

Jonrox wrote:I think most people who say they'll take cold winters with sunshine instead of warmer winters with grey skies, didn't grow up in the prairies. I much prefer being able to do things outside rather than spending the entire winter inside looking at the sun.

I'm not sure you understand how depressing and exhausting a multi-week coldsnap is. It's miserable and no amount of sunshine makes up for the searing pain of 40-below temperatures.

It's just brutal and you never get used to it.

I've steadily moved west over the past 20 years and Kelowna suits me perfectly. There's nowhere else I'd rather be.

I lived in northern Ontario once (Thunder Bay) where would it would get to minus 40 Celsius on a regular basis. I must agree it was pretty intolerable. The smoke curls slowly from the chimneys as it rises through the thick cold air. Your nostrils feel the cold right away. Exposed skin freezes rapidly. The snow crunches under your feet. But the sun shone brightly. However, in places like southern Ontario and even the Soo, where I also lived, it did not get as cold as that. I was much younger then and so I had no problem dressing properly for it. That is the key. As the Norwegians say “There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes”. Often I was the only person outside in my neighbourhood. Me and my dog. Everyone else was inside staying warm, afraid to venture out. In many ways it was magical, the bright sun shining down, everything in a form of suspended animation. I had the place to myself. I always managed to stay warm. But 40 below is quite the challenge for sure. It amazes me how the animals can survive through it all. I guess they have good "clothes" too.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

No place is perfect, and happiness is a state of mind.

Personally, I would prefer other spots in the province, but this is ok, and happy wife = happy life.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I'd rather live in Victoria.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

hobbyguy wrote:No place is perfect, and happiness is a state of mind.

Personally, I would prefer other spots in the province, but this is ok, and happy wife = happy life.

Yeah I agree, if it wasn't for work I'd sooner be in the Shuswap somewhere.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Even Steven wrote:I'd rather live in Victoria.

So much "eye candy" there ... never mind the ocean and rain forest only minutes away .

I can't wait to go home ..

But sadly , the City of Victoria proper is now a mess...

Her Worship Lisa Helps ain't doing squat to keep it as clean as it used to be .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

I woke up the other morning and found -35 just sitting there, staring at me, like; I'm coming for you. Very soon.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

monroe wrote:I woke up the other morning and found -35 just sitting there, staring at me, like; I'm coming for you. Very soon.

A big thumbs down and an "unlike" ......
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Considering a move to Parksville or area. I like the south Okanagan but Kelowna, not so much. The Hwy 97/ Harvey Ave. parking lot sucks. Kelowna desperately needs a by-pass, but where to locate it and still have access to the airport? Regardless if one is put in, the planners will end up sticking traffic lights on it again. ( Penticton Channel for example) I find the endless strip malls along Harvey rather ugly although many offer services that people require.
The low wages paid are similar throughout the Okanagan for the most part unless you are in a government union.
Great recreation opportunities in all four seasons if one is so inclined.
Been here for 20 years and have enjoyed it very much ( southern parts) and could very well stay a bit longer but I do miss the coast at times, regardless of the rain.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

monroe wrote:I woke up the other morning and found -35 just sitting there, staring at me, like; I'm coming for you. Very soon.

OH NO, Monroe! Have you lost your mind yet? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Queen K wrote:

OH NO, Monroe! Have you lost your mind yet? :135:

On the way home i say the natural gas cut line in OKM park giving me the great white middle finger
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW

Return to “Central Okanagan”