No more portable signs

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: No more portable signs

Post by WalterWhite »

Even Steven wrote:
Whyme2 wrote:Its a good start and then maybe they can work on the big ugly signs (Pattison) on the west side blocking the beautiful views. :-X

If you mean billboards, it's out of their hands since it's Native land.

Whyme2 wrote:I know it’s native land. So would it be ok to stack refrigerators 6 stories high and get away with it?

A drive down Elk Rd., Grouse Rd. or Whitetail Lane will answer your question.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Probably a bad sign.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Sign of the times, I guess.
Most of the signs don't bother me in the least. We're a city, one expects to see signs.
I am much more bothered by trash along city streets.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

I'm not sure how many of you have visited some of the great tourist spots around Canada - such as Whistler for example? They have very strict bylaws about signage in their village and it helps to keep it beautiful. Even the McDonald's had to change their corporate standard sign in order to meet the design guidelines for signs in Whistler.

I think it will do wonders to make our City look less cluttered by doing away with portable signs. And yes, there is an enforcement issue with enforcing current bylaws. But - it's always a tough sell to tell the "taxpayer" that taxes need to be increased to hire more bylaw officers. Wouldn't it be better if people just learned to respect bylaws instead?
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

....staffing levels and work volume.. ya right. maybe while there at it, gazing at the signs they should look down and register the lack of ditch/drainage maintenance and plugged culverts, register the road lines that are non existent, give em a bag and pick up garbage while their at it. How about enforcing truck routes. Over worked city employees hmmm that's a good one. Sounds like someone at city hall wants to build up their fiefdom.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Whyme2 wrote:So would it be ok to stack refrigerators 6 stories high and get away with it?

The discussion is about Kelowna and Kelowna bylaws. Kelowna bylaws have no effect on native land. Native land chiefs allow billboards and make great money from it. Something tells me they won't give it up so easily.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

yeeah dont worry about the hobo camps all over town and the whole leon ave mess .its the portable signs that make kelowna look trashy
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

TMBOkanagan wrote:I'm not sure how many of you have visited some of the great tourist spots around Canada - such as Whistler for example? They have very strict bylaws about signage in their village and it helps to keep it beautiful. Even the McDonald's had to change their corporate standard sign in order to meet the design guidelines for signs in Whistler.

I think it will do wonders to make our City look less cluttered by doing away with portable signs. And yes, there is an enforcement issue with enforcing current bylaws. But - it's always a tough sell to tell the "taxpayer" that taxes need to be increased to hire more bylaw officers. Wouldn't it be better if people just learned to respect bylaws instead?

What would be better is if people were intelligent enough to expect signs to be abundant in business districts.

What would be better is less bureaucracy and more attention paid to real problems by city officials.

What would be better is less politicians meddling with people's livelihoods by sitting around and dreaming up ways to put up hurdles in their paths.

What would be better is the bureaucrats being intelligent enough to know that every time they put up a roadblock, someone finds a way to circumvent it.

Do you think this bylaw will stop some from advertising by the side of the road? I don't, but I am willing to bet there will be more vehicles or trailers adorned with signage parked so as to continue to advertise.

What will they do then, drum up some law to prohibit parking certain things on lots alongside the highway?

Personally I find the city buses fully covered in graffiti......................... errrrrrrr signage......... to be far more of an assault on the eyes than I do a few temporary signs in commercial areas.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Are the buses covered with advertising not "portable signs"?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Anonymous123 wrote:Are the buses covered with advertising not "portable signs"?

Same with all the vehicles with business names on them, big trucks as well. Ban them all! :up:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even Steven wrote: Native land chiefs.

OMG, isn't that word censored now?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't have much problem with them.

Today even with those signs is still far better than 20yrs ago when they were literally all over the place the time when Hwy 97 had a string of used car dealers etc. near where the Landmark Buildings stand today.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

voice of reason wrote:yeeah dont worry about the hobo camps all over town and the whole leon ave mess .its the portable signs that make kelowna look trashy

Ban carts outside of grocery store parking lots.

Ban camps.

Ban mass accumulations of recycleables.

Ban curbside squats and begging.

Ban loitering.

Ban all the things!!!
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

These bans are getting out of hand. It’s clearly time to ban bans.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Typical. Gawd forbid a business tries to move a little bit more product through direct marketing - but giant placards of dead fetuses at schools is totally acceptable.

Return to “Central Okanagan”