No more portable signs

LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: No more portable signs

Post by LTD »

complaining about portable signs really ?yet every time I drive through east Kelowna theres two or three new blue signs pointing you towards a winery or the kvr look around these blue signs are dotted along the roadsides and much more of an eyesore they have blue signs directing you to blue signs this city has gotten so handicapped :swear:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If it's nailed to a tree or a telephone pole is it considered portable?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I was referring to signs in general *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 15th, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*

It's a fair question as to how far they are planning on going with this as I would suspect some orchards rely on these signs so customers can find them.
If it's only in town then it's a double standard.
Last edited by ferri on Oct 15th, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to personal attack.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^^agreed^^^^^^

Fair for all, cardboard garage sale sign taped to a post or a $1000.00 trailer with a
billboard.

All the same.

Either they are all legal or they are all....not !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

So... does an "eyesore" really hurt?

I think the city nit-picking about portable signs is over the top. I've engaged a few businesses with portable signs and came away happy. It's not like they're planting signs in residential areas.

This kind of reminds me of the song "Signs" by the five man electrical band; but it was about negative warning signs like "Do not trespass; you'll be shot on sight" except for the church sign at the end of the song that invited everyone (I'm atheist but I respect others).

I thought I'd read this thread thinking that most would agree that city council was wasting it's time on signs; but apparently I was quite wrong.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Sonny Taylor wrote:So... does an "eyesore" really hurt?

I think the city nit-picking about portable signs is over the top. I've engaged a few businesses with portable signs and came away happy. It's not like they're planting signs in residential areas.

This kind of reminds me of the song "Signs" by the five man electrical band; but it was about negative warning signs like "Do not trespass; you'll be shot on sight" except for the church sign at the end of the song that invited everyone (I'm atheist but I respect others).

I thought I'd read this thread thinking that most would agree that city council was wasting it's time on signs; but apparently I was quite wrong.

I'm for anything that reduces the eyesore factor that defines "Kelowna".
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

lightspeed wrote:

I think the “attitude” that has come to define Kelowna is a much bigger issue than anything visual imho.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

WalterWhite wrote:
lightspeed wrote:

I think the “attitude” that has come to define Kelowna is a much bigger issue than anything visual imho.

I agree. It's become something totally out of control. With a life of its own. But anything that has a positive impact is a start.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Well, piles of garbage on a street don't really hurt anybody yet we demand clean streets.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

My fave are the rotten 53 foot trailers half rolled on the side of certain highways, but it sells ice cream and fruit!
Sure do love Rutland!!
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

northglenmore2012 wrote:....staffing levels and work volume.. ya right. maybe while there at it, gazing at the signs they should look down and register the lack of ditch/drainage maintenance and plugged culverts, register the road lines that are non existent, give em a bag and pick up garbage while their at it. How about enforcing truck routes. Over worked city employees hmmm that's a good one. Sounds like someone at city hall wants to build up their fiefdom.

The portable sign was intended to give business an identity until such time as they could order and install a permanent sign.
As typical, everyone who could pushed the margins. But compared to truck traffic, a portable sign is benign and if it bothers you avert your eyes. A truck is different, it is both a portable sign and a moving noisemaker and when you get hundreds of illegal trucks passing your door every day it becomes a total nuisance and irritation. Despite scores of requests to intervene, the city rarely sets up a truck check on Valley Road N (between Sexsmith and Union Roads) to ticket the endless parade of over sized heavy trucks which pass along this road every day.
Every truck is a moving advertisement for the business they are attached to and businesses should know that their drivers are doing them a disservice by taking shortcuts. Many vehicles are equipped with GPS so that their movements can be analyzed.
So why can companies not self police their drivers to ensure that they respect the rules of the road and help protect the image of their company?
Waste not
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Grandan wrote:Every truck is a moving advertisement for the business they are attached to and businesses should know that their drivers are doing them a disservice by taking shortcuts. Many vehicles are equipped with GPS so that their movements can be analyzed.
So why can companies not self police their drivers to ensure that they respect the rules of the road and help protect the image of their company?

So how many companies do you figure actually know which roads are truck routes and which aren't? Never mind being concerned about policing their drivers.

Besides which it's also one thing if we're talking a freight company with a fleet of trucks constantly running on a road they shouldn't be, and another if it's a small business with two trucks out delivering something or other in an area, as they would then be legally allowed to be there.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Grandan wrote:Every truck is a moving advertisement for the business they are attached to and businesses should know that their drivers are doing them a disservice by taking shortcuts. Many vehicles are equipped with GPS so that their movements can be analyzed.

Old Techie wrote:So how many companies do you figure actually know which roads are truck routes and which aren't? Never mind being concerned about policing their drivers.

Besides which it's also one thing if we're talking a freight company with a fleet of trucks constantly running on a road they shouldn't be, and another if it's a small business with two trucks out delivering something or other in an area, as they would then be legally allowed to be there.

You don't need to be a brainiac to read roadway signs that are placed at the entrance of such streets. So you make a mistake but you might remember for next time.I am talking in particular about a Kelowna redimix Company with Blue coloured trucks who operates most days on a street that is clearly marked "no trucks" for at least the last decade running from downtown to UBCO district and surrounds. I should mention also too many logging trucks, full sized car carriers,crane trucks, self loaders and dump trucks and garbage trucks by the score. I am not talking couriers and other local deliveries. The location of truck routes is not a secret. Any trucking company should have these available for drivers, it is available here on the transportation layer drop down menu under "truck routes".
http://maps.kelowna.ca/public/mapviewer/
Castanet helps as well:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... te-Changes
Waste not
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

Grandan I agree with you. I have also seen on numerous occasions trucks using Union road to Valley as a shortcut to Sexsmith. But what can you do. Making calls to Roadways or Traffic is futile. The road forman and/or traffic manager couldn't care less. I don't know if its their ego or just plain lazy or maybe they have no authority. If not who is responsible that action takes place. Maybe set up road block, but then I don't think I would like to spend time in jail. Can we not video them and pass it off to ???? and a ticket is issued. Its sooo frustrating.

Return to “Central Okanagan”