Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Yes
46%
So-so
27%
No
28%

Total votes: 147

monroe
Übergod

Re: Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Post by monroe »

Queen K wrote:
monroe wrote:I woke up the other morning and found -35 just sitting there, staring at me, like; I'm coming for you. Very soon.

OH NO, Monroe! Have you lost your mind yet? :135:

Nope, all good. But its out there, waiting ...

Took the caveman for a bike around the block this morn at a frigid -8 and that was enough.

Other than that, sanity still intact. For now :132:
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We're here if you need us for therapy Monroe, hang in there k? Find any good hang outs or restaurants or find an on-line forum yet?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Nope. No community oriented forum here to speak of. There are the odd Stoon based topics posted on a variety of other unrelated sites but nothing consolidated like Castanet.
It might pay to start one here. Call it Silo. :)

Lots of good eateries here. Much more access to everything else as well just given the size of the place. ...even some boutique shoe shops for Bman
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

The Okanagan is fine, but Kelowna is horrible. I find the lack of law enforcement at all levels, and general lawlessness of Kelowna, very frustrating. People here just do as they please, with a total lack of concern as to whether or not they are breaking the law. People running red lights constantly, distracted driving everywhere, people with their dogs running around loose in designated dog-free parks, public drug and alcohol use, it goes on and on, with the police and by-laws doing very little about it. Queensway bus exchange is an absolute disgrace, right in city hall's back yard, ironically enough.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

7600736 wrote:The Okanagan is fine, but Kelowna is horrible. I find the lack of law enforcement at all levels, and general lawlessness of Kelowna, very frustrating. People here just do as they please, with a total lack of concern as to whether or not they are breaking the law. People running red lights constantly, distracted driving everywhere, people with their dogs running around loose in designated dog-free parks, public drug and alcohol use, it goes on and on, with the police and by-laws doing very little about it. Queensway bus exchange is an absolute disgrace, right in city hall's back yard, ironically enough.
You've described every other place across the continent.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I can camp, fish, hunt, go to the beach, hike, fish, paddle my kayak within a short a short trek from my house. While still living in walking distance of downtown which has 2 boat launches close by.

We're a short trip to Vancouver for larger events but still have plenty of good shows here. I attended a rock opera at the Rotary Centre a couple of weeks ago that was really good.

I have found employment in positions that are satisfying and have been able to expand my skillset and further my career. Wages do still need improvement though.

Housing is the biggest downside for me. It is quite expensive especially if you are looking to up size. Not even necessarily in newness, just bedrooms and square footage. But we'll make do.

Overall I love it here. If I was to move anywhere else it would be the Island or the Yukon/Northern BC.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Fancy wrote:
7600736 wrote:The Okanagan is fine, but Kelowna is horrible. I find the lack of law enforcement at all levels, and general lawlessness of Kelowna, very frustrating. People here just do as they please, with a total lack of concern as to whether or not they are breaking the law. People running red lights constantly, distracted driving everywhere, people with their dogs running around loose in designated dog-free parks, public drug and alcohol use, it goes on and on, with the police and by-laws doing very little about it. Queensway bus exchange is an absolute disgrace, right in city hall's back yard, ironically enough.
You've described every other place across the continent.

Then society is a mess. People are a mess. Law and order is a mess..

I don't for one minute think everywhere else of a similar size is as vacuous, materialistic, shallow, and "lost" as Kelowna.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've been to a lot of places that are exactly what was described (bigger and smaller):
People running red lights constantly, distracted driving everywhere, people with their dogs running around loose in designated dog-free parks, public drug and alcohol use,

I love the Okanagan for the easy access to camping, boating, fishing, hiking, hunting (as noted by JLives) and all the different activities and shopping. Not too many places one can golf and do a winter sport all in one day. I've lived and visited both large metropolitan cities and small towns. There's nothing boring about the Okanagan.
LiteraryEmporium

Post by LiteraryEmporium »

There are so many more reasons to dislike this place than like it. The bottom line is that Kelowna doesn't have a soul.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This is the question:

Does not say Kelowna. There are many places in the Okanagan that have a great community spirit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

LiteraryEmporium wrote:There are so many more reasons to dislike this place than like it. The bottom line is that Kelowna doesn't have a soul.

Kelowna's soul is money.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Queen K wrote:
LiteraryEmporium wrote:There are so many more reasons to dislike this place than like it. The bottom line is that Kelowna doesn't have a soul.

Kelowna's soul is money.

Me, Me, ME!!!!
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I can be happy almost anywhere..........but being happy to me also includes health, security in life, family, job. Spent my working years elsewhere then came back here........it was the smartest thing to do. Weather and scenery are the Okanagan's attraction for many and it is for us. Younger people here with spending money like the activities that are available (for a price of course) but how many will have a "paid off" future and a retirement that is secure. The "bad" things said about Kelowna are all true, I do my best to block them out but at times it is impossible. A ton of phony people here that portray money and are truly living a day at a time..........its been like that for a long time. If you are struggling financially here and do not want to leave for a MUCH better financial reward almost anywhere else, more than likely you will always be struggling........and into retirement and beyond.........its sad.
Last edited by lesliepaul on Oct 18th, 2017, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I just want to go home .... It's calling me even more today than ever ...

Being told that " Hey, It's a Kelowna wage" just doesn't cut it anymore ....

It's all horse :swear:
Last edited by ferri on Oct 18th, 2017, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

We left kelowna, not becuase we had to but i was in a position to try out something new. Ive had an office in Saskatoon for years so we thought eff it, lets try it on.
After being out here i can honestly say that the Ok lifestyle and reputation is somewhat oversold.

That said, i loved my 24yrs in kelowna and did so up to the day we left. It will always be home - but raising a family now, we need to be in a more family oriented place with regards to surroundings, amenities and even sociability to some degree.

We kept our property there and will most likely end up back home but for now its saskatoon.

Return to “Central Okanagan”