Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

dle
Lord of the Board

Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#209234

Sounds like this fellow took the precautions needed to survive while out on his boat and is probably only alive today because he did - wore his life jacket and kept his cell in a waterproof container in his pocket. I'm betting he is thanking his lucky stars and should give himself a pat on the back while he's at it! A happy ending instead of a tragedy :up:
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Post by Ken7 »

"Police have learned that the boat operator, and sole occupant of the 29-foot Maxum cabin cruiser, was thrown from his vessel while navigating in rough waters,” said Cpl. Jesse O'Donaghey, RCMP spokesperson. “After being ejected from his boat, the unmanned vessel reportedly continued to drive at a high rate of speed before colliding head on into the shoreline.”

I bet he learned something about his 29 foot boat, even though it is big you can be troubled. I have a little smaller boat, I've been on some very rough Kelowna water. I tend to travel slower and ride the waves. Bet he won't try that again well maybe.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Ken7 wrote:"Police have learned that the boat operator, and sole occupant of the 29-foot Maxum cabin cruiser, was thrown from his vessel while navigating in rough waters,” said Cpl. Jesse O'Donaghey, RCMP spokesperson. “After being ejected from his boat, the unmanned vessel reportedly continued to drive at a high rate of speed before colliding head on into the shoreline.”

I bet he learned something about his 29 foot boat, even though it is big you can be troubled. I have a little smaller boat, I've been on some very rough Kelowna water. I tend to travel slower and ride the waves. Bet he won't try that again well maybe.

Won’t try what again? In a previous topic you spoke out on those making assumptions without information. Maybe simply praise this boater as the OP did for taking proper and basic boating safety precautions and simply be thankful it ended without injury or worse, and refrain from passing judgement until more information is released.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

WalterWhite wrote:
Won’t try what again? In a previous topic you spoke out on those making assumptions without information. Maybe simply praise this boater as the OP did for taking proper and basic boating safety precautions and simply be thankful it ended without injury or worse, and refrain from passing judgement until more information is released.

Wally, Wally...did you read the quote which I did not make up or assume, if was part of the article.

"The unmanned vessel reportedly continued to drive at a high rate of speed before colliding head on into the shoreline.”

I don't assume I actually read it. If you are trolling, try a different place. Have a good one!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Having been in rough seas, I have never been thrown from a boat (most haven't thankfully).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Perhaps if he had his lanyard on his wrist he would still have his boat to
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Ken7 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:

Wally, Wally...did you read the quote which I did not make up or assume, if was part of the article.

"The unmanned vessel reportedly continued to drive at a high rate of speed before colliding head on into the shoreline.”

I don't assume I actually read it. If you are trolling, try a different place. Have a good one!

So you aren’t going to answer the question? Won’t do what again?
ETA: why is asking clarification of your statement “trolling” in your eyes? Yes, I read the quote. I also looked at the photo accompanying the story. I don’t see whitecaps. I see waves. Waves that would be no issue for a vessel of that size - even being operated at speed. I did not however, read anywhere that authorities stated the vessel was being operated in an unsafe manner, or that charges of any sort were being considered.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

LTD wrote:Perhaps if he had his lanyard on his wrist he would still have his boat to

It wasn’t a jet ski or sea-doo. Vessels of that size do not have nor require a lanyard and “kill switch”.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

WalterWhite wrote:
LTD wrote:Perhaps if he had his lanyard on his wrist he would still have his boat to

It wasn’t a jet ski or sea-doo. Vessels of that size do not have nor require a lanyard and “kill switch”.

What's the cutoff? Every boat I have owned had a "lanyard". Although 24' is the largest I had. That being said, I never used them.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

mines a 28 with twin engines and it has one I don't use it either, personally I think youre a complete idiot if you get thrown out of a 29 foot boat on the lake
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

WalterWhite wrote: Maybe simply praise this boater as the OP did for taking proper and basic boating safety precautions ...

How is it basic boating safety when one gets thrown from a 29-foot Maxum cabin cruiser? Travelling at a high rate of speed in rough water doesn't seem safe to me when getting thrown is a result.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

You would think the owner would know how to set the trim and back off the throttle to keep the bow up in rougher water. If they didn't however, nosing the boat into a wave when your going a fair speed will launch you if you're not ready.

If the driver did set the trim to raise the nose but kept the throttle pinned, he could also porpoise the boat and land sideways into a wave and launch himself that way.

So easy enough to get thrown from a boat in rough water if you're either inexperienced or not paying attention.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

We haven't been given any info on the W questions so I'm not going to speculate on what he was or wasn't doing right - for all we know he could have been hit by a rogue wave or slipped trying to adjust something and went overboard - I'm just saying he had the presence of mind to give himself the best chance of staying alive by putting on his life jacket and protecting his line of communication while out there.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I just don't think he deserves a pat on the back for doing what is suppose to be done in the first place. Life jackets are meant to be worn. Glad he's alive to tell the tale.
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

good work with the lifejacket....now... about that kill switch tether....

Return to “Central Okanagan”