Uber is coming to town...

goatboy
Guru

Re: Uber is coming to town...

Post by goatboy »

MAPearce wrote:
If you think that those in gov't , the industry and people that use airliners would ever allow them to go pilotless , you'd better have another sniff of that glue ..

I'm not sure we'll have completely pilotless aircraft as the financial advantage of that is not like a driverless truck or cab, but I think you'll see autonomous airliners in the not so distant future. Pilot will do nothing from gate to gate unless something fails. Will make things a lot safer.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

cyberking wrote:Lmao ... planes that fly with no pilots.. BOY.. I THINK YOU NEED TO STOP WATCHING MOVIES
They don't exist.. all the computers can do is hold a cruising altitude and speed.. [Snip]

No, apparently you need to understand a little more about modern computer control of aircraft. Cruise speed and altitude are functions of autopilot that were pretty much perfected long ago. There have been automated landings for a long time now and you may have experienced one without knowing it.

The eventual limiting factor to pilot-less aircraft will be more related to the public perception of safety.

Goatboy probably has it right. The pilot will be a very qualified supervisor (as they are to a large extent already), but may eventually be eliminated.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

cyberking wrote:Lmao ... planes that flywith no pilots.. BOY.. I THINK YOU NEED TO STOP WATCHING MOVIES
They dont exist.. all the computers can do is hold a cruising altitude and speed.. officially Uber is not operating here yet.. but why are they hiring drivers ????

I guess you should google "autoland" and then feel bad about being wrong while using ALL CAPS....
cyberking

Post by cyberking »

Bullcrap !! Name one airline that uses it.. haa !!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

cyberking wrote:Bullcrap !! Name one airline that uses it.. haa !!

By now, all of them do. The technology been around since 70's. They're required to use autoland when landing in foggy conditions and at least once a month to maintain certification.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Back on topic. Hint - Uber, not airlines.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
cyberking

Post by cyberking »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 1st, 2016, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I think the the old dogs in here are about to get schooled on the fast paced advances in the tech industry. Pilotless cars are almost ready and will come soon. People can have safer sex while commuting to work. A safe, morning quickie on the way to work will be the driving force behind pilotless cars. Oh, and millennials can text to their hearts content. 2nd reason.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

forum wrote:I think the the old dogs in here are about to get schooled on the fast paced advances in the tech industry. Pilotless cars are almost ready and will come soon.

Its not a question if the technology is ready - its a question if the legalities and ethics are ready. The technology available in aircraft could make them pilotless and has been that way for many years - yet we still see 2 well trained people upfront for a very good reason. The same applies to cars. If the car has an accident, who's at fault?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

forum wrote:I think the the old dogs in here are about to get schooled on the fast paced advances in the tech industry. Pilotless cars are almost ready and will come soon.

Dizzy1 wrote:Its not a question if the technology is ready - its a question if the legalities and ethics are ready. The technology available in aircraft could make them pilotless and has been that way for many years - yet we still see 2 well trained people upfront for a very good reason. The same applies to cars. If the car has an accident, who's at fault?

Another issue will be protecting against hacking of that very technology enables pilotless planes.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

And the very same reasoning will be applied to Uber by bthe provincial and local governments when approving this " ride sharing " app.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Blazing Saddles and crony capitalists

We see similar patterns today in the ways firms use government-granted privileges to enhance their profits at the expense of consumers. Consider the attempts in many North American cities to ban ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft. Most of these are coming from the taxicab companies who want to protect their government-granted monopolies by using government power to outlaw or severely hamstring their competition.

This sort of crony capitalism, where private firms profit not by pleasing consumers but by pleasing politicians, is problematic for many reasons, but perhaps the most important is that it undermines support for genuine capitalism. When people believe that profit comes from cronyism and force, rather than value-creation through voluntary exchange, they are more likely to condemn the latter—and that does not bode well for economic progress.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blogs/b ... apitalists
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped

Delayed, no surprise here. Sounds like Premier is starting to really tick off Green Leader..... divorce anyone.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/209258 ... -year-away
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

uber cant come here soon enough I had the pleasure of using it in the states a few weeks ago and cant wait to see it come here I'm a little tired of the greasy taxi cab monopoly here
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

GordonH wrote:Bumped

Delayed, no surprise here. Sounds like Premier is starting to really tick off Green Leader..... divorce anyone.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/209258 ... -year-away

It's only a matter of time.

The divorce that is .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Central Okanagan”