Take back the foreshore

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Take back the foreshore

Post by Ken7 »

my5cents wrote:
I wasn't aware that these docks were allowed through a ten year license from the province, that, once expired relinquished ownership of the docks to the province. That seems to put a huge wrench into the "grandfathered" docks.

I'm curios where you learned of this. Why I ask is I have trouble believing the Province would take civil responsibility for docks built by who ever, many not structurally sound.

Let me know, I find it interesting.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

WalterWhite wrote:
Poppycock. Using that logic the entire downtown and in fact greater Kelowna area should all be on stilts, as the entire area is flood plain. The lake level has been successfully controlled for decades. I still do not believe the statement from those that manage the water system that this was the result of a 200 year event.

Again I do not know, but was Lake Okanagan dammed up south of us years ago so that they can control the levels of this lake. If that is a fact is down town actually a flood zone or has it become a flood zone due to human failure?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Ken7 wrote:I'm curios where you learned of this. Why I ask is I have trouble believing the Province would take civil responsibility for docks built by who ever, many not structurally sound.

It was on the site I linked on Page 6

I agree it seems strange that if ownership doesn't remain with the homeowner, who does own it ? Who is legally responsible for the dock if something happens.

https://pihl.ca/real-estate-law/sitting-dock-bay-not/

A property owner who wants to build a dock or other structure that encroaches on or over the foreshore must first obtain permission from the Province. In the past, this permission was generally in the form of a 10 year “license”. Today, it is referred to as a “specific permission”. Actual construction must conform to guidelines, including the Private Moorage Guidelines, established by the Province (and sometimes other levels of government). The guidelines have become more restrictive.

At the end of a 10 year license period, the homeowner does not continue to “own” the dock or have any rights over the foreshore established by that use. The owner must reapply for permission and could be ordered to remove or substantially change the dock.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
spooker

Post by spooker »

How about inviting Google in to "take back the foreshore" and building the "Kelowna of Tomorrow"?

http://www.blogto.com/tech/2017/10/google-alphabet-neighbourhood-future-toronto/
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

my5cents wrote:
Ken7 wrote:I'm curios where you learned of this. Why I ask is I have trouble believing the Province would take civil responsibility for docks built by who ever, many not structurally sound.

It was on the site I linked on Page 6

I agree it seems strange that if ownership doesn't remain with the homeowner, who does own it ? Who is legally responsible for the dock if something happens.

https://pihl.ca/real-estate-law/sitting-dock-bay-not/

A property owner who wants to build a dock or other structure that encroaches on or over the foreshore must first obtain permission from the Province. In the past, this permission was generally in the form of a 10 year “license”. Today, it is referred to as a “specific permission”. Actual construction must conform to guidelines, including the Private Moorage Guidelines, established by the Province (and sometimes other levels of government). The guidelines have become more restrictive.

At the end of a 10 year license period, the homeowner does not continue to “own” the dock or have any rights over the foreshore established by that use. The owner must reapply for permission and could be ordered to remove or substantially change the dock.

It clearly shows the the ten year licenses are not longer done. The new permissions go on indefinitely.
The ability to have a dock is at the pleasure of the Queen. They can be ordered to be removed at any time. However, that is generally not done.
You and 71 others Like this post
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Now I hear that Lake Country is considering selling off Lake frontage in Carr's Landing. Highlighted on CBC this morning.
What are they thinking? Some 200 plus metres worth for a paltry million dollars. Dumb.
Get on it people!
Waste not
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Grandan wrote:Now I hear that Lake Country is considering selling off Lake frontage in Carr's Landing. Highlighted on CBC this morning.
What are they thinking? Some 200 plus metres worth for a paltry million dollars. Dumb.
Get on it people!

The District of Lake Country is operated by a bunch of out of control geniuses. Major self interest going on out there and some serious agendas that don't benefit the majority of residents. Councillors rudely insulting the public, development run amok, allegations made to Council about personal interests in planning and development processes, and certain employees looking in the other direction while all sorts of shenanigans take place. This might be the final straw that causes it all to unravel. DLC needs a public investigation into its operations and decisions. Way too hillbilly and amateur in nature right now. The Mayor is about 150 years old and regularly falls asleep in meetings. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone with anything good to say about DLC. They've pretty much ruined Lake Country from what it used to be before it was all amalgamated.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 18th, 2017, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't cross post please. Thanks!
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Money money money. Maybe they want to sell it to themselves or their buddies. :cuss:
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Scrobins94 wrote:Money money money. Maybe they want to sell it to themselves or their buddies. :cuss:

No doubt. Can you imagine the increase in real estate value with a private beach frontage.

Things that make you go "hmmmm...."
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

How can a municipality sell Crown lands, if so who signed foreshore of Okanagan lake over to Lake Country.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
nordhausen

First $10M Assessment

Post by nordhausen »

Looks like the foreshore on this property has been made unpassable by concrete and large boulders. Is the uncorruptable city council looking into this flaunting of the rules? I thought with the aftermath of the flood situation the foreshore would be returned to the rightful owners, the public. Do high taxes buy foreshore or is this just an "oversight"?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: First $10M Assessment

Post by Hassel99 »

Why would the city look into a provincial matter?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: First $10M Assessment

Post by dirtybiker »

nordhausen wrote:Looks like the foreshore on this property has been made unpassable by concrete and large boulders. Is the uncorruptable city council looking into this flaunting of the rules? I thought with the aftermath of the flood situation the foreshore would be returned to the rightful owners, the public. Do high taxes buy foreshore or is this just an "oversight"?

So let me guess. If you were fortunate enough to purchase and own this property the
very first thing on your agenda would be to remove all of which you complain about right now.

Ya, thought not !

-Did you even know that place existed before the article ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Ken7 wrote: If that is a fact is down town actually a flood zone

I know it's a little old but.
In this book Mr. Knowles talks about a boardwalk being built through the marsh from Manhatten Point to the foot
of Bernard.
Before that, they used Canoes.
Also how Mr. Simpson, of Simpson Sawmill (now Tolko) dumped all wast wood, chips, sawdust and blocks to fill in
the bog that is present day City Park.

At one time it was completely level, but due to different rates of decay between what was dumped,
now has the higher and lower undulations that we have today.

I love this book and was fortunate enough to meet the man and have him sign one of my copies.

https://www.amazon.ca/According-Bill-Ti ... B00309FSGE

A bit lengthy post, and maybe not entirely on topic, but.......
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”