Kettle Valley Rail Trail WIFI

bcwoods

Kettle Valley Rail Trail WIFI

Post by bcwoods »

Really!!!!!!
WiFi on a trail that is there for the outdoor adventure? If WiFi is in place for private use by volunteers and maintenance crews or for video surveillance then I get it.
If it is public wifi access I am not looking forward to dodging folks with there heads down not seeing what it is offered in front of their nose.
What I have seen in locations where wifi or cell coverage is not available is all age groups enjoying their surroundings and each others company, not seating around in a circle staring at their mobile device.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Kettle Valley Rail Trail WIFI

Post by LTD »

complete waste of money theres cell coverage in that whole area more good use of the taxpayers dollars :cuss:
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

You may appreciate it if you need to use your map app.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
hleix15

Post by hleix15 »

The ambitious proposed program to upgrade the Icon Kettle Valley RailTrail, is noteworthy. The experience of accessing of a forest service road to get here is also note worthy.
Road conditions are jolting to say the least. The people who rely on Tourism are on the receiving end of their customers exasperation.
Perhaps the CEO of TOTA should discuss with stakeholders what their immediate needs for improved customer service are. Before embarking on an expensive adventure, when cell service is already in place.
It is noteworthy that even Prospera Place does not have WIFI service.
Perhaps we should put our ladder up against the right wall.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

Seems unnecessary to me, though with a generation of people glued to their phones that can't be away from weefee for more than 5 minutes it's not surprising. [icon_lol2.gif]
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Complete waste of Provincial Govt funds. Put the money into better signage/maps along the trail (ie: "you are here..with directions to other locations along the route"). Addicts to their cel phones usually have data plans anyways and the KVR is a route where most people want to escape that trap and just enjoy the scenery. Little power up there and vandalism could also be a problem should wifi sites be established.

I would much rather see them spend money on restoring full access to places like the Adra Tunnel (the big, curved one above Naramata). That task was started but never finished.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

JLives wrote:You may appreciate it if you need to use your map app.

ya but theres cell service everywhere up there no need for wifi
bcwoods

Post by bcwoods »

That is what your cell data coverage is for. For those who don't have cell data then they can read the signs are provided.
Put the money to better use for the trail as "Pentona" suggests.
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

"...grants up tp $500,000.00 for rural communities..." Kelowna is still classified as a rural community, go figure eh!
God forbid, the NDP is as good as the Liberals in throwing our hard earned money away. Why doesn't the TOTA use the money they get from the hotel tax. For crying out load, stay out of our pockets.
Side Note I betcha 90% of the funding will go to management costs and their expenses. Luv to see their application and then the final financial report.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

There are far more important issues lacking funding that this money could be better put towards. There is cell coverage in this area as has been mentioned, and surely one can spend an afternoon in the beautiful surroundings that is the KVR without fulfilling the need to post a selfie every 10 minutes. The only acceptable use of some of these funds would be the installation of video surveillance in the parking lots at June Springs and Myra, as both, particularly June Springs has been rampant with thefts from vehicles for years. Total waste of tax dollars imho.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If people are so damn addicted to there cellphones they need wifi on trails, get a data plan & go nuts. Why should a nonprofit have to provide you with wifi, now if either Shaw or Telus wants to donate the service fine (key word donate/free of charge). Other then that to damn bad so sad.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I could really care less if there WiFi on the trail or not - if its there then cool, if not, just as cool .... but .... just going to bring up one little thing that could very well have been a factor in deciding to fund Wifi - tourism. As pointed out in the article, tourism drove the decision. Tourism includes lots of people who don't live here, people from other countries - that means roaming when using cellular data - and that can get pricey real, real fast - so adding WifI can be an added bonus when people are browsing the web or brochures on looking what to do here.

I know, I get the irony - being outdoors and hooked up to the net - but fact is we live in different times, and I know its cool to be all like Clint Eastwood and tell the young ones to get off our lawns or point out how silly they are because they're addicted to their phones, but times have changed - best we simply accept that and deal with it :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Okay, next will be Provincial tax dollars to pay for golf carts/atv's. Wouldn't want anyone to break a sweat on any trails in BC, heaven forbid.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I don't know, if you follow a rail line north to find your way home just turn around.

I agree, what is the purpose maybe to get youth outdoors as they won't go anywhere without it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”