Sexism in hiring teachers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Sexism in hiring teachers

Post by Piecemaker »

My husband is a retired teacher. He taught elementary school, middle school, high school and university. We have a nephew and a niece who are both high-school teachers. My husband speaks very fondly of all his years as a teacher, but believes the job is more difficult today than it was in the late 70s when he started teaching elementary school. More of a teacher's time is spent on classroom management than it used to be. He says the integration of children with special needs has "probably been good for the children" but it has made a teacher's job more challenging. Particularly when there are not sufficient support staff to assist these students.
I think part of the reason there are less male teachers than there used to be is that there are different jobs available now, like in the tech industry, that appear to men.
As someone previously posted, it takes a number of years incurring student debt to become a teacher. There are others areas of employment with an equal or better income that require less time in university.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I think it would be great if there was more of a balance of male/female teachers in the schools. I am pretty sure the only thing preventing it is the number of men willing to do 4-6 years University level courses, and perhaps not keen in being Teachers on Call for several or many years until they get hired. These days quite a few school districts seem to be short on teachers anyway, increasing enrolement, increased numbers of teacher retiring. So there is not likely to be a problem for men wanting to get hired. If districts already have a shortage of teachers though, they are not going to be keen on just leaving positions open because they can't find a man to fill them. It's a free market , and right now in favor of the hopeful hirees, male or female. Back in the day, when my kids were in school, there were a number of men (and some women) who left for jobs with better pay.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

All it takes is 1 bogus claim by a student to there parents &/or school district. To completely destroy a teachers career & reputation, even if that student comes clean. That cloud will continue to hang around that teacher career, thats shameful.

Now don't get me wrong, actual cases need to come forward. Those teachers need to be dealt with swiftly, & have the full extent of the law come down on them no question about that
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

GordonH wrote:All it takes is 1 bogus claim by a student to there parents &/or school district. To completely destroy a teachers career & reputation, even if that student comes clean. That cloud will continue to hang around that teacher career, thats shameful.

Now don't get me wrong, actual cases need to come forward. Those teachers need to be dealt with swiftly, & have the full extent of the law come down on them no question about that

Isn't that equally true whether the teacher is male or female?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:All it takes is 1 bogus claim by a student to there parents &/or school district. To completely destroy a teachers career & reputation, even if that student comes clean. That cloud will continue to hang around that teacher career, thats shameful.

Silverstarqueen wrote:Isn't that equally true whether the teacher is male or female?

It can be
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I don't know about what is going on with teachers in general but it seems this one just lost touch with reality altogether.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/22/x- ... chool.html
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

How often does that occur? I'll bet it's extremely rare so much that it shouldn't even be a consideration.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Social Concerns”