Homeless Camp

Alice in Vernon

Re: Homeless Camp

Post by Alice in Vernon »

Perhaps the city could set up some porta potties down behind Rona and let them stay there.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

The Vernon Morning Star has an interesting article on the front page this week speaking to a female that lives there. In it it states:

1) She is a "woman of the night"
2) Her one 19 year old daughter is in jail for robbery.
3) Her other daughter "accidentally" got addicted to heroin
4) She supports her daughters habit
5) She has lived in homes in the last few years but can't afford rent

How is this person the one you want to interview as someone who is someone I should be worrying about? Even if she had a home to live in would she be out finding real work to afford to pay her bills and contribute to society?

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/ ... s-hit-150/

I'm sure there are legitimate people out there that are homeless because of tough situations that are trying to get out of that environment but this person, to me, needs a lot more than a home to fix the problem she's in.

As I re-read this post it seems very heartless, but when I support my family, work hard, stay off drugs, teach my kids right and wrong, and then am asked to support (and I have) people like this it gets me mad.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

When one of them are fortunate to gain access to a home it suddenly becomes overrun by their homeless homies, I've seen and had to deal with damages similar to the link below.

Here's an example of a do gooder.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/mu ... -1.4362256
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

jimmy4321 wrote:When one of them are fortunate to gain access to a home it suddenly becomes overrun by their homeless homies, I've seen and had to deal with damages similar to the link below.

Here's an example of a do gooder.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/mu ... -1.4362256

exactly and this would be the norm if they were all offered free or low income housing, unless they are clean and off drugs this is a given, if they do not care about themselves ,they will not care about there home
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

I'm sure there are legitimate people out there that are homeless because of tough situations that are trying to get out of that environment

Yes, there are people who are homeless who are not part of the "street level culture". They are not addicted, they often stay on their own and far away from the groups who hang out together. They do not want to be associated with the street level people, but here they are homeless, what to do. Often they have been living pay cheque to pay cheque and something happens, they lose their job, they are evicted, there is no other affordable housing ... suddenly they are on the street, or couch surfing. Often public social nets that some of us have taken for granted are no longer there, or they don't meet the criteria. So much of the focus is on addicted people and their crisis's. My sympathies are for those who are homeless and not dealing with an addiction, who may even still be holding a job, the homeless who find there is no safety net for their situation (because they don't have an addiction).

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

agree 100%
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Vernon should do more for the homeless. I have no seen some as far out as Foothills when I went by the other day.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Scrobins94 wrote:Vernon should do more for the homeless. I have no seen some as far out as Foothills when I went by the other day.

agree, the true homeless not the f :cuss: criminal homeless junkies
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

yes, pretty disgusting and it's rare to find such a nice, caring Landlord..but I know working homeowners who live like this too..

living like a dirty slob doesn't just apply to the homeless..
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

W105 wrote:yes, pretty disgusting and it's rare to find such a nice, caring Landlord..but I know working homeowners who live like this too..

living like a dirty slob doesn't just apply to the homeless..

The difference is that a homeOWNER has the right to live anyway they want inside the house they OWN, a renter is just a fee paying guest that must give proper care and consideration to whatever they are borrowing in exchange for a fee.

The same goes for car, equipment and tool rentals.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The homeless camp on Highway 97 and 48th Avenue in Vernon has been shut down.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure provided the occupants with an eviction notice 48-hours ago.

One man who stayed at the camp said he now has nowhere to go.

Updates are coming.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#216642
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I drive by this twice a day in my logging truck. The mess and trash they've left behind is disgusting. Why arent they cleaning it up or held responsible in someway?

The city cant clear side streets of snow because there's no money in the budget but theres money in the budget for this.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Wonder where they got the BBQs, bikes and other items that are tossed all over the place? All those items will need to cleaned up at the taxpayer's expense, and then get dumped in the landfill. When these folks find a new place to relocate to, they will have to go "acquire" themselves some new BBQs, bikes etc...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Plenty of the 'acquired' stuff there was from people dropping of all their
still usable old crap as donations.

I've witnessed well to do appearing people in their nice vehicles unload all forms of
things just off the shoulder there.

Maybe these well meaning people could volunteer their time and transport to help clean
up after their little chargees.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “North Okanagan”