Head-on crash kills woman

youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Head-on crash kills woman

Post by youjustcomplain »

lightspeed wrote:I agree. Drive around Kelowna for a day and you'll see all sorts of bad, ignorant, dangerous driving from all ages.

Crappy drivers are not unique to Kelowna. It's everywhere. It's better here than Vancouver imo.

lightspeed wrote:The lady yesterday who blocked an entire intersection was maybe 40 (35 if she's had a hard life). Honked at her and shook my head. Got the finger in return and an expression that said "what am I supposed to do?". Maybe learn to drive.

If I had used poor judgement and accidently blocked an intersection (sounds like she entered with her lane coming to a stop, leaving her in the intersection) and you sat there honking at me, I'd likely give you the finger too.

lightspeed wrote:If there was much better enforcement on the road, half of Kelowna drivers would be off the road in a few years time. Better for other drivers, reduced traffic, and more idiots having to take the bus instead of driving around like entitled cretins.

totally disagree. Better enforcement would help get some of the drivers some fines and maybe some exceptions would get suspensions, and the rest of us would just be more careful.

lightspeed wrote:One thing I recommend you all do if you see an old coot driving really badly is report it to RCMP and also report it to Roadsafety BC. They will get sent in for a retest at ICBC.

You meant "if you see anyone driving really badly". Right?
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

techrtr wrote:So sorry for the lady who died. Not fair to blame this on the age of the other driver. I see tons of young people weaving all over the road while they're messing with their phones. Who knows what caused the other driver to cross the centerline but it's totally possible that it had nothing to do with being 72 (which I wouldn't consider to be old).

I think it's pretty fair to blame age.
It's possible that it had nothing to do with it but unlikely.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There have been too many people crossing the center line and causing death that weren't seniors.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... ver-killed
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

I could cherry pick articles also.
Last edited by fall on Oct 25th, 2017, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are bad drivers of all ages. Should some be retested? Definitely, and no matter what their age is.

I think Doctors should be given more responsibility to take a persons license away if they are medically unfit to drive. Again no matter what the age. They should be held partially at fault if they deliberately ignore the signs of medical impairment.
They could inform ICBC anonymously who would then retest and stop them from driving if they don't pass.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Those who are not 65, or whatever age they think regular testing should be done, have no idea what it's like to be that age and what their capabilities would be. Maybe they should look more closely at their own driving "skills", which these days are debatable.
I birn quil I se
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Bsuds wrote:There are bad drivers of all ages. Should some be retested? Definitely, and no matter what their age is.

I think Doctors should be given more responsibility to take a persons license away if they are medically unfit to drive. Again no matter what the age. They should be held partially at fault if they deliberately ignore the signs of medical impairment.
They could inform ICBC anonymously who would then retest and stop them from driving if they don't pass.

Doctors are already required to inform ICBC if one of their patients is unfit to drive.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Not all people age at the same rate, so arbitrarily setting an age when one might be deemed unfit to drive would be grossly unfair.

And not all non-seniors are good drivers.

So it seems to me that the fairest way to deal with this is to make ALL drivers take a new driving test every 10 years, regardless of their age.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Post by BigBearBruno »

Health should have to be 100% for someone to be allowed to drive. That means anyone at any age with any condition that could cause them to lose concentration on the road is not allowed to drive. Mind and body should be at peak performance other the answer is no.
Just called me Triple B.
Bigger, Badder, Better than you!
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Randall T wrote:Those who are not 65, or whatever age they think regular testing should be done, have no idea what it's like to be that age and what their capabilities would be. Maybe they should look more closely at their own driving "skills", which these days are debatable.

I'm sure most people have a concept of what someone over 65's capabilities are. It's called human nature, they don't call them seniors for no reason.
Slowing down, physically and mentally.
People working with seniors etc or family members would have an idea of what it's like to be over 65, pretty much anyone.
Driving skills in today's world are debatable, all the more reason seniors should be fit to be on the road if they are behind the wheel.
Last edited by fall on Oct 25th, 2017, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

fall wrote:I could cherry pick articles also.

Thats not cherry picking.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Aside from teenage males, drivers over 70 are the second highest in Canada to be involved in accidents.

Of course, gotta link, gotta link....

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/10-sig ... afe-driver
Last edited by fall on Oct 25th, 2017, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

This topic reeks of Ageism.

Certain people will target/focus indiscriminately on the negative about people based on the colour of their skin, the slant of their eyes, their age, their clothing, where they live, the type of car they drive.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Return to “South Okanagan”