My opinion of Big retail stores closing up.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

My opinion of Big retail stores closing up.

Post by Thinktank »

So Sears is closing up. It's the tip of the iceberg. There will be a lot more big retail stores going
bankrupt in the next five years. I have two words for them.

GOOD RIDDANCE.

I don't really enjoy shopping for stuff. For example, when I want a shirt, I just want to go into a big store,
and find one that looks good for about $40.00. I don't want to pay $70.00. I don't want to pay $90.00. I want
to pay $40.00 at the most.

But what these stores are doing is bringing in crap from somewhere in Asia, and selling the shirt for about $30.00
and they're telling me it's "ON SALE!!!" Basically, these big stores are treating me like dirt. The crap they bring in
is all weird colors, or too short, or cheap thin material, or it just looks plain stupid, and they think I can't figure it out.
It's not on sale. It's just cheap crap. and they're putting it on a rack and saying it's on sale. They've been playing this trick for years now and they need to learn a lesson.

So when a big retailer goes out of business, I say good riddance. I'll find some other way to buy what I need.

Bye bye retail stores.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: My opinion of Big retail stores closing up.

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:I don't really enjoy shopping for stuff. For example, when I want a shirt, I just want to go into a big store,
and find one that looks good for about $40.00...
So why not go to Winners or Value Village? It would be so much cheaper too.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Also try Superstore - check their clearance section - great deals under $10.00.
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

They've been playing this trick for years now and they need to learn a lesson

Oh believe me, they've learned something. It's just not the lesson you think:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3598469/sears-canada-lay-offs-management-bonuses/

Insolvency puts the bill for bad spending on you and I while the people who made the decisions collect big bucks right until their last day. At least they could buy me breakfast.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Thinktank wrote:So Sears is closing up. It's the tip of the iceberg. There will be a lot more big retail stores going
bankrupt in the next five years. I have two words for them.

GOOD RIDDANCE.

I don't really enjoy shopping for stuff. For example, when I want a shirt, I just want to go into a big store,
and find one that looks good for about $40.00. I don't want to pay $70.00. I don't want to pay $90.00. I want
to pay $40.00 at the most.

But what these stores are doing is bringing in crap from somewhere in Asia, and selling the shirt for about $30.00
and they're telling me it's "ON SALE!!!" Basically, these big stores are treating me like dirt. The crap they bring in
is all weird colors, or too short, or cheap thin material, or it just looks plain stupid, and they think I can't figure it out.
It's not on sale. It's just cheap crap. and they're putting it on a rack and saying it's on sale. They've been playing this trick for years now and they need to learn a lesson.

So when a big retailer goes out of business, I say good riddance. I'll find some other way to buy what I need.

Bye bye retail stores.

So because you have no fashion sense, good riddance? Sounds like you weren't their customer at all. I for one, will miss sears....and I like "weird"color shirts..... :130:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bring back the LIKE button.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A couple of those are being reinvented.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

alanjh595 wrote:Malls are a dieing breed.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... malls+2017

Orchard Park was packed when I went in on Sunday afternoon - they seem to be doing just fine.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I was in Eugene, Oregon several years ago and their biggest mall was completely dead.

I was in West Edmonton Mall three years ago - that place looked really strange,
like it was stuck in 1980. I'm thinking malls are on their way out.

If Amazon improves, I'll buy more stuff at Amazon. I'm so tired of the crap I've the big stores have been pushing off
on me - in clothing.

More big stores to go bankrupt - coming soon - to a mall near you.

USA ^

what USA does - Canada follows.

:up:

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

We don't have those stores do we?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A member of the family that developed West Edmonton Mall and other giant international shopping centres thinks the future of retail could be small.
Think micro-mall.
http://edmontonjournal.com/business/com ... all-owners
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

:crazy: ^^^

What the heck exactly is Mark Ghermezian talking about???

anyone know?

After raking in $billions, his family is going to give something back to the community?

:laugh:

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thinktank wrote:I was in Eugene, Oregon several years ago and their biggest mall was completely dead.

At first I thought you meant the Bayshore Mall in Eureka, that place is always busy - the Mrs. and I always stop there on our way through town, grab some lunch to go and eat it at Clam Beach but then I re-read your post and read Eugene - still, I say you're full of it

I spend a lot of time in the US - the malls I visit such as the Fashion Mall, Miracle Mile an North End Premium Outlet (not so much the South End) in Vegas are obviously always packed and busy. Beverly Centre and Westfield Century in SoCal are also always busy. Biltmore Fashion Park and Paradise Valley Mall in Phoenix are also always busy as are Surrey Square and Anderson Towne in Cincinnati.

Closer to home, Metrotown, Richmond Centre and Landsdowne are busy - West Ed and London Derry are busy as well as Cross Iron Mills - busy, busy, busy.

Orchard Park was packed last weekend, and the parking lot looked full Wednesday afternoon flying overhead.

Thinktank wrote:I was in West Edmonton Mall three years ago - that place looked really strange,
like it was stuck in 1980. I'm thinking malls are on their way out.

Was there this past Wednesday night - wasn't too, too busy at 800 at night but still hard to find a parking spot close to the doors - weekends are still a zoo there - doesn't look very 80's to me ...

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Dizzy1 wrote:I say you're full of it

So some time back around 1980 (?) some guy said "Let's do things differently." and they invented outlet malls. Sure the outlet mall in Las Vegas is busy, with 30 million tourists every year, and tourists aren't exactly the brightest people. Clothing manufacturers found out they needed a way to get rid of stock that might have been good quality, but just didn't go over very well, so the outlet mall was invented. It was the perfect way to get rid of that old stock. But the outlet mall is perfect example of what I should have said - we're going to change the way we do things in the future. Malls will change. Big stores will disappear.

^ They were busy. In 2007 they were the busiest place on earth -making a fortune, but things changed. Things always change. Malls and their big stores that were making money off us, will change. Half the big stores (and malls) will close up.

Of course there are places in USA that are stinking rich. USA is the most stinkingest rich country on earth, so malls called Fashion Mall in various cities, with stores that sell $10,000 large screen TVs and every other luxury you can imagine, will always be busy. Rich people never have recessions. Rich people will always have their Fashion Malls.

140 Ferraris on display in Pasadena - a city with unbelievable high income per family. For the rich, there is nothing to worry about. Malls will be busy.

But for everyone else, things are going to change. Even if something looks busy now, it could be closing up in the next few years.

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thinktank wrote:Sure the outlet mall in Las Vegas is busy, with 30 million tourists every year,

As are the several malls I listed :up:

For every mall that is dying, there is a mall that is thriving :up:

Return to “Social Concerns”