Re: Head-on crash kills woman

Post by fall »

Attachments
IMG_0940.JPG
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Merry wrote:So it seems to me that the fairest way to deal with this is to make ALL drivers take a new driving test every 10 years, regardless of their age.

:up:

I know of several people who are well into their 70s and driving commercial vehicles, they have a medical retesting every year and there driving abilities are top notch. Many of the younger drivers for the same outfit, well, their driving capabilities are questionable. While age is a factor in driving capacities in terms of reflexes, eyesight and focus, it doesn't apply to many senior drivers and punishing them by determining their driving capabilities simply because of a number is beyond stupid.

I agree with Merry, mandatory drivers testing (and medical) for everyone, and once you reach a certain age (or have a medical condition that could effect your driving capacity), increase the frequency. In aviation, if you fly commercially, you have to have a medical done every year - once you hit age 40, you have to have one every 6 months. Same principle.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I got a chuckle out of the comment in the article fall posted to, where it said that failing to indicate was one indication that someone is unfit to drive. I figure that means that 90% of the population of the Okanagan are unfit to drive. LOL.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

And then you get the ones that are oblivious to the fact that their signal light is on and drive kilometres with it blinking.
When your in a turning lane with a signal it's pretty obvious where your going.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fall wrote:And then you get the ones that are oblivious to the fact that their signal light is on and drive kilometres with it blinking.
Yup - those darn kids on the cellphones again....
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

Maybe everyone should wait until the cause of the accident has been revealed. Jumping to conclusions based on the drivers age is unfair. He may have swerved to avoid an animal or even a person. A tire could have blown out. He could have had a medical emergency which can happen to anyone of any age. It's also possible that he had his license revoked already and was driving illegally.

Let's wait for the results of the investigation before casting blame.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

You don't need to wait for results to cast blame, it's obvious he is to blame.
Speculation as too what caused it aside from age being a factor is yet to be determined.
I heard he was from Alberta so I will speculate it was a 72 year old driving at 10 30 at night on an unfamiliar highway.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

fall wrote:You don't need to wait for results to cast blame, it's obvious he is to blame.
Speculation as too what caused it aside from age being a factor is yet to be determined.
I heard he was from Alberta so I will speculate it was a 72 year old driving at 10 30 at night on an unfamiliar highway.

Actually fall, it isn't obvious he is to blame. The accident could have been cause by a mechanical failure from a factory defect or a blown tire from a nail he picked up and was unaware of. I had to drive past the accident scene and where it occurred driver error is almost an impossibility.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fall wrote:You don't need to wait for results to cast blame, it's obvious he is to blame.

Not necessarily. If a deer hit him causing the vehicle to swerve, the driver would not necessarily be found negligent.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Darkre wrote:Actually fall, it isn't obvious he is to blame. The accident could have been cause by a mechanical failure from a factory defect or a blown tire from a nail he picked up and was unaware of. I had to drive past the accident scene and where it occurred driver error is almost an impossibility.

So now you are a crash reconstruction expert making a speculation.
Considering the vehicle was a 2017, mechanical failure to that extent is unlikely. So is a nail in the tire which would be a gradual leak. Tires don't just blow up easily
Last edited by fall on Oct 25th, 2017, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Fancy wrote:Not necessarily. If a deer hit him causing the vehicle to swerve, the driver would not necessarily be found negligent.

You don't swerve into an oncoming vehicle to avoid a deer, that's where age,instinct and reaction would come into play.
I doubt it was a deer.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Fancy wrote:http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/health112a-eng.htm

WOW! Look at that, age 20-24 have had 1st place in all years reported. Hmmmmmm
Bring back the LIKE button.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

fall wrote:
Darkre wrote:Actually fall, it isn't obvious he is to blame. The accident could have been cause by a mechanical failure from a factory defect or a blown tire from a nail he picked up and was unaware of. I had to drive past the accident scene and where it occurred driver error is almost an impossibility.

So now you are a crash reconstruction expert making a speculation.
fall wrote:You don't swerve into an oncoming vehicle to avoid a deer, that's where age and reaction would come into play.
I doubt it was a deer.

You are the one speculating. I'm waiting to make a judgment until the facts have been told to the public. There are other possibilities besides old age and driver fault in this case so why don't you wait to hear the facts before making a judgment. The driver may have been at fault and he may not have. Why the rush to convict him without any evidence beyond his age?
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

:130:
alanjh595 wrote:
WOW! Look at that, age 20-24 have had 1st place in all years reported. Hmmmmmm

Look at what I wrote, seniors are second followed by young males.
Also look at the date of the last report, 2013.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fall wrote:You don't swerve into an oncoming vehicle to avoid a deer, that's where age,instinct and reaction would come into play.

No one said that except you. Try responding to my statement.

Return to “South Okanagan”