Canada's OD capital

khutchi
Fledgling

Re: Canada's OD capital

Post by khutchi »

I was absolutely stunned at how unprepared and uninformed IH staff appeared to be on Kelowna's opioid crisis in mondays PM council meeting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4369719

Charlie Hodge was just speechless at the lack of information and recommendations they had.

His first question was : "Of the 67 people who have died thus far, how many of them are Kelowna residents versus out of town visitors/transient-types?"

and Dr. Mema's response has something to the effect of "I don't know. That data would be hard to collect"

I don't even know what to say about that. How can we not know this? How many people need to die before someone starts asking "ok. who are these people?".

the rest of the quotes I'll leave you to check out in the article but the most striking is how IH kept reiterating "These deaths are preventable" but then when council would ask "Ok what can we do to prevent them?" they would respond with

"I don't know what the city council can do, but it's the conversation that I would like to start," said Mema.

Not looking to pick a fight with IH but seriously whats going on? What am i missing? From my perspective that whole agenda item was a train wreck and pretty embarrassing to watch...
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Analysis paralysis.

I think everyone already know the problem.

Now that we got that out of the way, Dr. Silvina Mema, what options can we enploy to deal with the problem? How do we measure the degree of success of these options? And from there go ahead and try some of them.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

khutchi wrote:I was absolutely stunned at how unprepared and uninformed IH staff appeared to be on Kelowna's opioid crisis in mondays PM council meeting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4369719

Charlie Hodge was just speechless at the lack of information and recommendations they had.

His first question was : "Of the 67 people who have died thus far, how many of them are Kelowna residents versus out of town visitors/transient-types?"

and Dr. Mema's response has something to the effect of "I don't know. That data would be hard to collect"

I don't even know what to say about that. How can we not know this? How many people need to die before someone starts asking "ok. who are these people?".

the rest of the quotes I'll leave you to check out in the article but the most striking is how IH kept reiterating "These deaths are preventable" but then when council would ask "Ok what can we do to prevent them?" they would respond with

"I don't know what the city council can do, but it's the conversation that I would like to start," said Mema.

Not looking to pick a fight with IH but seriously whats going on? What am i missing? From my perspective that whole agenda item was a train wreck and pretty embarrassing to watch...

she needs to step down, guess its hard for her to have simple information on a topic she does not care about
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Scrobins94 wrote:Analysis paralysis.

Now that we got that out of the way, Dr. Silvina Mema, what options can we enploy to deal with the problem? How do we measure the degree of success of these options? And from there go ahead and try some of them.

She should hand back her paycheque until she has some answers.

Useless. Why are these clowns even hired?
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

friends giving friends jobs,she's useless https://issuu.com/interiorhealth/docs/e ... ember_2016 she talks a good game ,but knows nothing , could explain why she has nothing helpful to say
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

Perfect term for it.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

hard for her to offer any good advice, when she knows nothing
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

the truth wrote:http://www.abbynews.com/news/five-people-died-from-overdoses-in-10-hours-in-abbotsford/ on and on it goes

Absolute madness.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

Luckily there is a new mens only treatment centre opening up on Harvey and Chandler street here in Kelowna, it'll only cost $8000 a month.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

I know many will hate me for this, but it's honestly sad to see that the days of getting pure drugs is long gone, you can no longer go out and buy a little bit of cocaine for the weekend without worrying about it being cut with fentanyl or some other stuff. I don't participate in the use of narcotics but I am sure many of the forum users on here had some fun back in the day experimenting with things, we can no longer experiment because its a gamble every time, gone are the days where in the morning you feel like crap, here are the days where you probably wont make it to morning if you use.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:I know many will hate me for this, but it's honestly sad to see that the days of getting pure drugs is long gone, you can no longer go out and buy a little bit of cocaine for the weekend without worrying about it being cut with fentanyl or some other stuff. I don't participate in the use of narcotics but I am sure many of the forum users on here had some fun back in the day experimenting with things, we can no longer experiment because its a gamble every time, gone are the days where in the morning you feel like crap, here are the days where you probably wont make it to morning if you use.

Gotta pay to play, death is the new payment and I don't feel sorry for any single one of them. Feel bad for their family and the folks who have to clean up whats left of them.
Sure do love Rutland!!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:I know many will hate me for this, but it's honestly sad to see that the days of getting pure drugs is long gone, you can no longer go out and buy a little bit of cocaine for the weekend without worrying about it being cut with fentanyl or some other stuff. I don't participate in the use of narcotics but I am sure many of the forum users on here had some fun back in the day experimenting with things, we can no longer experiment because its a gamble every time, gone are the days where in the morning you feel like crap, here are the days where you probably wont make it to morning if you use.

Many years ago I did experiment with drugs (back when we bought a "lid" of MJ) mostly leaves. I did experiment with cocaine.

All of the experiments were inconclusive and required further studies. Then I grew up and had abandoned further research on these drugs. I went on to experiment with sex and alcohol. Both were deemed as unacceptable due to the negative impacts of hangovers, divorce, and children.

I am now very glad that the experimental phase has been abandoned due to the observable results of those that continued with the research.

My next experiments will consist of proving that a jelly sandwich, hitting the floor jam side or bread side up, will be determined by height of counter top and cost of carpet cleaning.
Bring back the LIKE button.
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

I haven't even bothered to read most of the posts here.

They are predictable. Some boo hoo liberals want to see more hand holding and multi gazillion dollar fixits. And then there are the "Let 'em die! It's nature's way." crowd who need to return the empties in the pickup bed to fund their retirement.

I don't have a pick-up. But I do get tired of the bottemless money pit ANY government solution has for anything conveniently labeled a "crisis".

Let me explain with a simple story where I drop my nickel.

A million yers ago when I was in school, we had gory films on drinking and driving. Those of you of my generation... remember "Mechanised Death". Some kids got physically sick while the tough guys laughed.

What did work was a real death every couple of years of a classmate in a drunk driving crash. It was usually the laughing tough guy who went through the windshield.

So....as a measure of the collective logic of our current society, I say we need to learn from reality. Too bad, so sad Johnny died with his first try of cocaine. Lesson learned by the rest of us.

Just don't be a slow learner.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.

Return to “Central Okanagan”