Boy's dog visciously killed....

motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Re: Boy's dog visciously killed....

Post by motorhomebabe »

Quit taking my dogs to these types of places years ago . There is always some idiot that thinks the off leash rule does not apply to them .or in this case ,leaving the chained up dog unattended. horrified by this incident. So sorry this family and the little guy have to go through this.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

Those who say ban Pitbulls are ignorant, I have friends who have trained Golden Retrievers to do more damage than any Rottweiler or Pitbull ever could, you know why? Because they have "special" property to protect which I wont elaborate on and they've trained them to be that way, but you get my point. Some people simply shouldn't own dogs, that's it. One thing I really wish we could do is ban stupid people.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

hope the star of this story gets his face in the news, facebook anything, so we all know what he looks like.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

motorhomebabe wrote:Quit taking my dogs to these types of places years ago . There is always some idiot that thinks the off leash rule does not apply to them .or in this case ,leaving the chained up dog unattended. horrified by this incident. So sorry this family and the little guy have to go through this.

This was a horrific incident. And it never should have happened. Leash your dogs. All of you. ALL of you. Everyone. It doesn't matter if they're "OK" or "friendly".

My girl doesn't appreciate other dogs up in her grill and will take them down. I don't take her for walks anywhere but remote mountain areas because I can't trust other people. You never know the dogs coming down the trail. It doesn't matter one freaking bit if your's is nice if it's in the mouth of one that is not. Leashes for ALL dogs.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I don't take my dogs to dog parks either anymore and my vet agrees with me. After many wonderful days of one of my dogs playing there, he was attacked twice (attacker did not have a square head), and his little brain was never quite the same after that. I couldn't even take him to a dog obedience class without him sitting, a bag of shivering nerves. Not a great outcome for a young and previously outgoing dog.
Mind_Bomb

Post by Mind_Bomb »

I simply canNOT understand why the voices suggesting that it become law that dogs off their personal property be muzzled are never heard or commented on. To me, this seems like a reasonable and EFFECTIVE solution... best of all, a SIMPLE solution. I can't remember the last time I heard that one dog got stomped to death by another dog... I guess people would rather fight over breeds??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Mind_Bomb wrote:I simply canNOT understand why the voices suggesting that it become law that dogs off their personal property be muzzled are never heard or commented on. To me, this seems like a reasonable and EFFECTIVE solution... best of all, a SIMPLE solution. I can't remember the last time I heard that one dog got stomped to death by another dog... I guess people would rather fight over breeds??

Because it doesn't make sense to have all dogs muzzled when the bylaws are already there to have them leashed and under control.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Fancy wrote:Because it doesn't make sense to have all dogs muzzled when the bylaws are already there to have them leashed and under control.

Maybe not all dogs but definately would be good policy for large, possibly aggressive ones. Mastiffs can grow to a huge size and even on a leash if they decided to bolt, some people would not be able to hold them back.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

pentona wrote:Maybe not all dogs but definately would be good policy for large, possibly aggressive ones. Mastiffs can grow to a huge size and even on a leash if they decided to bolt, some people would not be able to hold them back.
I understand the point but who is going to decide what dogs come under the category for a muzzle? Dangerous dogs must wear a muzzle but that is not the case for a dog deemed aggressive and that only happens after an incident. Great Danes, Boxers and a multitude of other dogs would possibly come under that category.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

There already is a law that large (or small) dangerous dogs are to be muzzled.
To muzzle all large (or small) dogs would be silly, since few of them are dangerous.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Boy's dog viciously killed....

Post by Catsumi »

Just looking at the pics posted reinforces my fear of being attacked by these fierce looking monsters which I cannot for the life of me, understand why anyone wants or needs them.

I always go out of my way to dodge them, leashed or not. There have been too many horrific incidences, the latest just being one, for me to risk life and limb going anywhere near them.

A pet is one thing; an animal capable of suddenly "snapping", maiming or killing, is another.

:200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

They are not all that muscled - most family pets are probably overweight.
Mind_Bomb

Post by Mind_Bomb »

Fancy wrote:Because it doesn't make sense to have all dogs muzzled when the bylaws are already there to have them leashed and under control.

It also doesn't make sense to have bylaws that are more toothless than the dogs they seek to control. The fact is that there are dogs who come under the category of "dangerous weapons" because of the critical injuries they are capable of causing, even if they're leashed. Sometimes, their owners don't even have the physical strength or agility to control them, bylaw or no bylaw. With a muzzle, even if the dog does get away from its owner while in public, it's still going to be far more limited in the damages it can do.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^ Whatever. I choose to give these beasts (4 and 2 legged) a wide berth.

Why be featured on the next newscast..."little old lady, out for daily walk, mauled by vicious dogs" ?

You do your walk. i do mine.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Then you should be worried about husky-types.

Return to “Central Okanagan”