Responsible Dog Ownership

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Responsible Dog Ownership

Post by Fancy »

So another disturbing incident inside the Delta Grand Okanagan Resort last night:
“Some guests were checking in and they had a little dog and it jumped out of the car and ran into the hotel and there was another dog sleeping beside the bar,” Uytterhagen said. “The little dog startled the big dog and the big dog attacked the little dog.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210120

And another witness identifying the big dog by breed:
A woman who witnessed the attack said she was surprised to see the large dog, which she says was a pit bull, inside the lobby, especially after it had showed aggression to a different dog prior to the attack.

I can point out several concerns I have concerning both owners and I'm sure there have been many more incidents that have happened in the public eye that don't make the news. First off, when will people learn to leash their dogs?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
esko

Re: Responsible Dog Ownership

Post by esko »

This breed of dog should be banned from this town without question. There is no excuse people can come up with to justify keeping this breed around. Someone should have grabbed their steak knife and driven into that dogs neck right there on the spot.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

esko wrote: Someone should have grabbed their steak knife and driven into that dogs neck right there on the spot.

Now there is the most irresponsible post I have seen in a long time! Disgusting to encourage violence of any kind.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
esko

Post by esko »

Irresponsible?? I love how you see that as the irresponsible part of this. Not the fact someone had their vicious breed of dog casually tied up in a hotel lobby. What if that was a small child in place of that small dog.... Would you still not agree?
ecoforce

Post by ecoforce »

I think it's just plain stupid if someone can't see the problem with pit bulls.

It's the breed. Without a question.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

esko wrote:This breed of dog should be banned from this town without question. There is no excuse people can come up with to justify keeping this breed around. Someone should have grabbed their steak knife and driven into that dogs neck right there on the spot.

That is disgusting and I don't take what one witness says about the dog's breed as gospel. Keep in mind this incident would not have happened had the little dog been on leash.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

esko wrote:Irresponsible?? I love how you see that as the irresponsible part of this. Not the fact someone had their vicious breed of dog casually tied up in a hotel lobby. What if that was a small child in place of that small dog.... Would you still not agree?

The fact that you advocate stabbing a dog in the neck is irresponsible. :topic:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

esko wrote:Irresponsible?? I love how you see that as the irresponsible part of this. Not the fact someone had their vicious breed of dog casually tied up in a hotel lobby. What if that was a small child in place of that small dog.... Would you still not agree?

Why would anyone allow their child to run up to a sleeping dog? That would be irresponsible.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

We don’t even really know the breed of the larger dog.

IMO, 90% fault lies with the owners of the small dog. Letting it run into the hotel out of control was an accident waiting to happen. Shame on them for being so careless.

I’m only giving 10% to the owner of the big dog because the dog wouldn’t release when told to. The dog should have been muzzled in public.
esko

Post by esko »

Your totally missing the point Fancy. Have you ever seen or been around a small child? They are usually not tied up on a leash and are often very unpredictable and could easily run up and startle a dog like this.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Bsuds wrote:
esko wrote: Someone should have grabbed their steak knife and driven into that dogs neck right there on the spot.

Now there is the most irresponsible post I have seen in a long time! Disgusting to encourage violence of any kind.

i would do anything to protect my dogs...even if it meant hurting another animal. As an animal lover it would be tough to do, but my animals come first...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bunnyhop wrote:I’m only giving 10% to the owner of the big dog because the dog wouldn’t release when told to. The dog should have been muzzled in public.

I agree that dog should be muzzled in public from now on and the owner should be paying the vet bill.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

vegas1500 wrote:i would do anything to protect my dogs...even if it meant hurting another animal. As an animal lover it would be tough to do, but my animals come first...

The owner of the larger dog may not have had time to protect his dog but the onus is still on him to be aware of his surroundings at all times. I would have thought an earlier incident would have prompted him to leave.
esko

Post by esko »

Your missing the big picture here people haha, it blows my mind how people can continue to defend these dogs. People are busy and a family with multiple kids heading in to check in may lose track of a kid for a few seconds.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

esko wrote:Your totally missing the point Fancy. Have you ever seen or been around a small child? They are usually not tied up on a leash and are often very unpredictable and could easily run up and startle a dog like this.
I haven't missed the point and I have raised kids and I made sure they left strange dogs alone. Unpredictable? The onus is on the parent to look after their kids and be aware as well.

Return to “Social Concerns”