Dog attack in hotel lobby..

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Dog attack in hotel lobby..

Post by Bsuds »

chicklo wrote: I've been biten by exactly zero pit bulls or Pitt style dogs yet am bitten almost daily by small breed animals

Unless you are working with rabid dogs on a daily basis I doubt you are bitten that often!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

Bsuds wrote:
chicklo wrote: I've been biten by exactly zero pit bulls or Pitt style dogs yet am bitten almost daily by small breed animals

Unless you are working with rabid dogs on a daily basis I doubt you are bitten that often!

I do not work with any types of dogs but my work brings me into people's homes. Some days go by where I'm not bitten some days it's multiple. Last week I believe it was a dachhound that bit me about 15 times easily. The home owner giggled and thought it was cute that her little dog was "being so tough". You may not like the fact your more likely to be bitten by a small breed dog but it's true, large breeds just do more damage when it happens
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

my5cents wrote:
OK, then someone sitting at the bar with a dog that has shown aggressive tendencies to another dog, being in a pet friendly hotel should have expected a dog might be running loose, on purpose of unintended.

When I've thought of "pet friendly hotels" (and I haven't laid awake many nights doing so), I've considered the hotel/motel allowing the pet to sleep in the room. I hadn't given much thought of the coming and going of the pet from the entrance to the room.

I certainly didn't, in my wildest dreams, think that "pet friendly" meant a dog sitting at someone's feet while they drank at a bar in the pet friendly hotel.

I am not a dog hater, but I do not own one; do not want one either (been there done that; enough already). When I go into any bar or restaurant, I do not expect to see any animal there (health regulations), other than a service dog.

When booking hotels, I always ask for a NON pet-friendly room. I do not wish to lay on a bedspread that was just used by any animal. I don't care if its small or large, dangerous or non-vicious. Prefer not to be around them.

Regarding pit bulls, I honestly think they are one of the ugliest breeds ever known to man. Why anyone would want one is a mystery. Cute? I don't think so.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

my5cents wrote:
Fancy wrote:That's already been discussed - yes one should expect a dog in a pet friendly hotel.

OK, then someone sitting at the bar with a dog that has shown aggressive tendencies to another dog, being in a pet friendly hotel should have expected a dog might be running loose, on purpose of unintended.

When I've thought of "pet friendly hotels" (and I haven't laid awake many nights doing so), I've considered the hotel/motel allowing the pet to sleep in the room. I hadn't given much thought of the coming and going of the pet from the entrance to the room.

I certainly didn't, in my wildest dreams, think that "pet friendly" meant a dog sitting at someone's feet while they drank at a bar in the pet friendly hotel.

Yes, not something we would see often here (maybe it should stay that way considering), but something that is very common from what I understand in the pubs in England, Ireland etc....dogs at their masters feet in the pubs after a day in the fields. I think they are probably mostly stand-alone pubs, maybe in rural settings so not really comparable to the hotel here. I've been bitten by a dog (a small one), unprovoked, and it wasn't funny. I don't like to see dogs off leash anywhere except in their own yards and there have even been problems with them escaping and going after people walking by. I am probably in a small minority but I'm all for muzzles in public (and the incident didn't turn me into a dog hater by any means - i'm just more cautious and aware around all of them that I don't know).
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

chicklo wrote: You may not like the fact your more likely to be bitten by a small breed dog but it's true, large breeds just do more damage when it happens

Now we're getting somewhere
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

dle wrote:I wonder if a pit bull has ever been in training, or accepted, to be a police dog? If not, why not? Just curious....

Kiah

Leonard

Shaka

Kara
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

dle wrote:
I wonder if a pit bull has ever been in training, or accepted, to be a police dog? If not, why not? Just curious....

Yes, they certainly are.
They are also used by search and recue, the armed forces and as therapy dogs.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Whether this was or was not a Pitbull type dog has absolutely no bearing on this situation at all.
Just one more reason for the media and the haters to jump on the hysterical bandwagon.

This was not a Pitbull attack for crying out loud.
This wasn't even what anyone could consider a dog attack at all.

It was a dog, laying at it's owner's feet, minding it's own business when another dog jumped out of a car, came running through the lobby and ran over to this dog, startling it.

There was no attack...just a dog doing what any dog would do if it was laying down and was spooked by a strange dog out of nowhere.

The anti pit crowd like to suggest that what sets Pitbulls apart is that their attacks are always so much more violent and they always do way more damage than most breeds.

So...this little out of control dog that got into a controlled , leashed dog's face....was not injured - and in fact, wasn't even taken to the vet until the next day.
NOT an attack....and if the word Pitbull wasn't involved, this never, in a million years, would have made the news.
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

gordon_as wrote:
chicklo wrote: You may not like the fact your more likely to be bitten by a small breed dog but it's true, large breeds just do more damage when it happens

Now we're getting somewhere

Yes we are getting somewhere. Any large breed dog would do more damage than any small breed dog, glad you agree all large breed dogs could hurt someone. Do you also agree the small breeds can as well?
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Be realistic , if a little mutt bites you , it probably won't even break skin. If it did , you might need a piece of kleenex for a couple of minutes. Pitbulls attacks cause horrendous injuries on a daily basis in North America.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -bull.html
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

gordon_as wrote:Be realistic , if a little mutt bites you , it probably won't even break skin. If it did , you might need a piece of kleenex for a couple of minutes. Pitbulls attacks cause horrendous injuries on a daily basis in North America.

Why only focus on "pit bulls" though? What ever happened to Dobermans? I remember they were they hated dog when I was younger. Or any of the large breed dogs? I have found black labs to be quite aggressive as well as huskys. We stopped going to a certain dog park because the 2 huskies there always packed up on my dog. The problem here is people want to just focus on pit bulls which isn't even a breed. Of course it seems they have the highest amounts of attacks when everyone just says it was a pit that did it. It's very sad when an animal attacks but it's even sadder when the blame game starts
luvdogs

Post by luvdogs »

Why is it always the larger dog who is the aggressive one? I have a medium sized dog and it is always owners with little dogs who are the aggressors. Tired of large dogs always having to take the rap. The little dog was off leash and startled the big dog and he just stood his ground. The people with the small dog should be apologizing . I can't stand people who tell me that their badly behaved little dog thinks he's a Rottweiler . There are many more badly behaved aggressive little dogs that large breed dogs.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

gordon_as wrote:Be realistic , if a little mutt bites you , it probably won't even break skin. If it did , you might need a piece of kleenex for a couple of minutes. Pitbulls attacks cause horrendous injuries on a daily basis in North America.

Please enlighten us all as to the horrendous injuries this dog in the lobby inflicted on anyone???
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

luvdogs wrote:Why is it always the larger dog who is the aggressive one? I have a medium sized dog and it is always owners with little dogs who are the aggressors. Tired of large dogs always having to take the rap. The little dog was off leash and startled the big dog and he just stood his ground. The people with the small dog should be apologizing . I can't stand people who tell me that their badly behaved little dog thinks he's a Rottweiler . There are many more badly behaved aggressive little dogs that large breed dogs.

Absolutely 100% truth.
Little dogs can be, and often are, nasty little buggars and start fights with large dogs every chance they get.

My large dog has been attacked by nothing but small little ankle biters.
Owners do nothing...they think it's funny and cute.
But - guess who's dog will be labelled as dangerous and aggressive for defending himself ??
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I'm not concerned so much about this incident in particular, but I do wonder what the health inspector would say about allowing dogs to be leashed to the owner's chair in the bar area of a restaurant. If there's food service there, it shouldn't be allowed.

Return to “Central Okanagan”