Boy's dog visciously killed....

mayes358

Re: Boy's dog visciously killed....

Post by mayes358 »

This attack was completely preventable. I place responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the councillors of this city for failing to enact vicious dog by-laws and lack any will to enforce by-laws to ensure the safety of the public when using spaces set aside for the enjoyment of all.

Furthermore, I am heartened by the generous support of all individuals who rallied around to provide financial aid to the victims of this brutal attack. However, I wonder where the City of Kelowna was in the time of need. As far as I am aware the City offered not a word of sympathy or condolences to any of the people that were brutalized and terrorized by this attack.

I can only hope there is one solicitor in Kelowna that will take the lead and start a class action civil and criminal legal action for those innocents afflicted by this horror; not only upon the owners of these animals but the City of Kelowna. For the City has truly failed to protect the people.

It is about time that justice is served. Clear examples must be made to those responsible. I consider the councillors and administrators of Kelowna are just as guilty through dereliction of public safety as the owner is of running away from his dogs who so maliciously molested so many.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

20 year study dog caused human deaths. 238 deaths where breed info was available 67% were pit bulls or Rottweilers. German shepherds and Dobermans will also high. Four deaths from retriever cross, also one westie.
Most deaths were young children and dogs were family or relative.

So that tells us that yes all dogs can kill but big vicious breeds are more likely to kill but even that is rare and it's usually a family member not a stranger.

There should be heavier fines for having dog off leash but unless you ban aggressive breeds there will be deaths albeit rare.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

jasond_71 wrote:20 year study dog caused human deaths. 238 deaths where breed info was available 67% were pit bulls or Rottweilers. German shepherds and Dobermans will also high. Four deaths from retriever cross, also one westie.
Most deaths were young children and dogs were family or relative.

So that tells us that yes all dogs can kill but big vicious breeds are more likely to kill but even that is rare and it's usually a family member not a stranger.

There should be heavier fines for having dog off leash but unless you ban aggressive breeds there will be deaths albeit rare.

We've been down this silly, pointless road too many times on these forums...but since you must have missed all of those threads..

There is no such thing as a 20 year 'study'.
There are several US articles which try to say they have facts, stats and studies - but they don't.
The vast majority of these 'case studies' are simply taken from media stories. Unreliable, at best.

Dogs that have killed the highest number of people in CANADA...Malamutes, sled dogs and Huskies. Family malamutes have killed several children in BC and AB just in the past few years.
Number of people killed by a so called pit bull - one. Ever.

There is no such thing as an aggressive breed.
There are most certainly aggressive dogs of almost any breed.

No dogs need to be banned. BSL does not work. Period.

We need bylaw enforcement.
We need irresponsible owners charged and heavily fined.
We need mandatory and affordable spay and neuter. ( more than 80% of dog attacks are by unneutered males )
We need to crack down on indiscriminate back yard breeders.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Not too many Poodles or Yorkies in this list (edited for typo) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog ... ted_States
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

lensbaby wrote:Not too many Poodles or Yorkies in this list (edited for typo) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog ... ted_States

And...your point is.....

All dogs but toy breeds should be banned ?
FYI - yes indeed, toy breeds can and do inflict serious injury and even death, particularly to young infants.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Farmma I agree with most of what you said. There have been peer review studies in hospital emergency rooms where pitbull attacks are disproportionate to their population. However this is also true for German shepherds, Rottweilers and Huskies.
So you would have to ban all these dogs as well which I don't think is realistic.
You are 10 times more likely to be killed by a hot dog than a dog.
However if these big dogs do attack the damage will be more severe than a small dog.
Since most attacks are unneutured dogs against children like you say make neutering cheaper, rules about dog ownership stricter and never leave your young children alone with your dog.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Farmmaa wrote:
lensbaby wrote:Not too many Poodles or Yorkies in this list (edited for typo) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog ... ted_States

And...your point is.....

All dogs but toy breeds should be banned ?
FYI - yes indeed, toy breeds can and do inflict serious injury and even death, particularly to young infants.

I own a large dog. I simply posted that so people can see how it actually is, rather than how people with their own agenda are claiming it is.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

lensbaby wrote:
luvdogs wrote:Read the whole thread and it was never mentioned if the little dog was on or off leash? If on leash maybe the little boy was unable to control the dog. Not sure if only one or both of the large dogs were teathered.

From the news report -

"The Mastiff-Presa Canarios “were tied up and unattended, and attacked the small dog, severely injuring it,” said Bruce Smith with the Regional District of Central Okanagan.

Smith said the dogs had gotten loose and attacked the small dog, who was on a leash"
The dogs were unattended because the one responsible for the dogs had already taken off.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

mayes358 wrote:This attack was completely preventable. I place responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the councillors of this city for failing to enact vicious dog by-laws and lack any will to enforce by-laws to ensure the safety of the public when using spaces set aside for the enjoyment of all.

Furthermore, I am heartened by the generous support of all individuals who rallied around to provide financial aid to the victims of this brutal attack. However, I wonder where the City of Kelowna was in the time of need. As far as I am aware the City offered not a word of sympathy or condolences to any of the people that were brutalized and terrorized by this attack.

I can only hope there is one solicitor in Kelowna that will take the lead and start a class action civil and criminal legal action for those innocents afflicted by this horror; not only upon the owners of these animals but the City of Kelowna. For the City has truly failed to protect the people.

It is about time that justice is served. Clear examples must be made to those responsible. I consider the councillors and administrators of Kelowna are just as guilty through dereliction of public safety as the owner is of running away from his dogs who so maliciously molested so many.

What does this incident have to do with the City of Kelowna? The Regional District is entrusted with dog licensing and so on. Mission Creek Park is also under the jurisdiction of the Regional District. There have been a number of dogs (and cats) attacked and or killed by other dogs in the Okanagan. As dear as pets are to their owners, I think it's a bit much to expect the mayor, counsellors and City staff to offer condolences when this occurs.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-209844-1-.htm#209844

I am now firmly on the side that the breed should be banned and I crikey I can't even believe I just said that about a dog but that's what has to happen. They are just too unpredictable and their size and strength makes them even more dangerous.

Start by banning the sNews Mediums from bastardizing one breed. Come on! Check it for yourself NOT here!!!),the breed verses bites, then lets also ban American Cocker Spaniel, Bouvier des Flandres, German Shepard,... every dog can bite,so ban them all,or ban the hype by media. Instead of being another follower of what ever is printed, do some research and "OMG",you might see that it is,just hype.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
Smuckers
Board Meister

Post by Smuckers »

This just shows the media bias and total uneducation of the masses. Pretty much every dog attack involving a dog that remotely resembles a bully type will be called a pittbull by the media. Did anyone actually read the news report? These two dogs involved in the attack weren't even pit bulls, they were mastiff/ Presa mixes, yet I'm seeing "ban pitbulls" over and over again in this thread. Educate yourselves! Admittedly I've been attacked by a pitbull once, but I've also been attacked by two Retrievers and three Sheppards. The Sheppard bite hurt the most. :) I would hate to see any of these beautiful breeds be banned because of irresponsible owners.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Smuckers wrote:Did anyone actually read the news report?

The initial news report only reported a witness stating they were pitbulls so everyone runs with it - too late once a proper identification was given.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”