Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ The point is that's crooked conduct yet it seems you're making excuses for it.

If it was two bucks cheaper just a short time prior as the woman stated, then there's zero excuse for it to be repriced higher for a liquidation sale, unless one is attempting to orchestrate a scam, and as I stated I'm fairly certain there are laws against that.

I actually recollect a certain furrier outlet getting fined heavily for engaging in the exact same practice of jacking up all the prices before offering a discount sale that basically put the price back to where it was prior to the fictitious sale.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Old Techie wrote:^^ The point is that's crooked conduct yet it seems you're making excuses for it.

If it was two bucks cheaper just a short time prior as the woman stated, then there's zero excuse for it to be repriced higher for a liquidation sale, unless one is attempting to orchestrate a scam, and as I stated I'm fairly certain there are laws against that.

I actually recollect a certain furrier outlet getting fined heavily for engaging in the exact same practice of jacking up all the prices before offering a discount sale that basically put the price back to where it was prior to the fictitious sale.

Fined? What law did they break to be fined?

Last time I checked, our commerce industry was a free market.

If one doesn't like the prices or if one feels "duped" - you're free to shop elsewhere.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Don't presume to know what law they broke, but I had followed the article and something along the lines of false advertising would be my guess.

It stood out to me at the time because it was a name that I thought was quite respectable.

You are correct people are free to buy or not, but there are regulations businesses are obliged to abide by, it's not a free for all as your are suggesting.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Old Techie wrote:Don't presume to know what law they broke, but I had followed the article and something along the lines of false advertising would be my guess.

It stood out to me at the time because it was a name that I thought was quite respectable.

You are correct people are free to buy or not, but there are regulations businesses are obliged to abide by, it's not a free for all as your are suggesting.

False advertising is something completely different - and in that case, yes there are regulations in place to protect consumers. But there are no regulations in place, that I'm aware of, that limit a business in charging what they want for a product or service - if there are, someone please feel free to correct me.

Inflating a price and then offering a discount is not false advertising, nor is it misleading.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Think this might cover that:
False or misleading ordinary selling price representations
The false or misleading ordinary selling price provisions of the Competition Act are designed to ensure that when products are promoted at sale prices, consumers are not misled by reference to inflated regular prices.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 02776.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dizzy1 wrote:Inflating a price and then offering a discount is not false advertising, nor is it misleading.

Well it certainly is misleading!

My wife got an e-mail advertising a 65" 4k TV supposedly at $700 of regular price. Looking online at Costco the regular price there was the same as the sale price at the other!

Very misleading but not surprising from the "other " place.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Inflating liquidation prices tends to be par for the course, liquidators try to take advantage of non price savvy shoppers.

Good luck with those great prices at Sears. :D
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:
My wife got an e-mail advertising a 65" 4k TV supposedly at $700 of regular price. Looking online at Costco the regular price there was the same as the sale price at the other!

Very misleading but not surprising from the "other " place.

But you're comparing two different stores, which at least you are comparing, so thats a good thing, but that isn't the definition of regular price. If the "other" store was advertising $700 off MSRP, then it would be up to you, the consumer to find what the actual MSRP is, which isn't hard to do in the world of the internet and then go from there. And don't forget, Costco subsidies their prices through paid memberships.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Keep reading tho ...

The Act prohibits false or misleading representations to the public as to the ordinary selling price of a product, in any form whatsoever. Ordinary selling price is validated in one of two ways: either a substantial volume of the product was sold at that price or higher, within a reasonable amount of time (volume test); or the product was offered for sale, in good faith, for a substantial period of time at that price or a higher price (time test).
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I recall a time 30 years back when I purchased a leather jacket from a leather shop in the mall (who are no longer there). The coat wasn’t cheap and I asked for a discount. The lady said, come back next week, we are having a sale. So I visit the following week only to find the coat I wanted with the same price, and a higher price written above it. (In the days of hand written price tags). I think retailers are at war with consumers, lol.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Inflating liquidation prices tends to be par for the course, liquidators try to take advantage of non price savvy shoppers.

And I don't blame them - frankly, I'd do the same. The purpose of business is to make money, not lose it.

The same applies to the consumer, the goal is to keep as much money as possible, and that requires effort and work on the consumers part and not simply demand it.
GordonH wrote:Good luck with those great prices at Sears. :D

Already did ...

Dizzy1 wrote:Went in yesterday - found a few nice jeans for $20.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dizzy1 wrote: And don't forget, Costco subsidies their prices through paid memberships.

Same price at Best But as well.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I bought a down filled jacket at Sears that was 50 off a price that was already reduced 25%.
It was likely overpriced to begin with, so I dunno if I got an ok buy or not. I usually wear Queenie's hand me downs and discards. I bring a new dimension to being a bag lady.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bman wrote: I usually wear Queenie's hand me downs and discards. I bring a new dimension to being a bag lady.

Her Bras are a bit too small for you aren't they?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Little bit big, actually.
I'm a smaller cup.
But yea, a bit tight on the shoulders.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”