Yard Waste in Green Bins

Jlabute
Guru

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Post by Jlabute »

I can begin campaigning on my single issue platform and see what other issues or injustices we can improve on ;-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

To do extra pickups when they usually do recycling would require more vehicles/people. But if they picked up through December (they usually stop end of November) it could be done with existing vehicles/personnel.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Mine is good all summer, but for the last three pickups, I have been filling the bin on the same day, and waiting 2 weeks to dump it again. Hoping the weather holds cause I need at lest 2 more pickups to clean every thing up.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

The yard waste thing is all bass ackward IMO ..

When the season changes and you need it the most , they cut it off...

Who's in charge of that thinking ??
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Jlabute wrote:I can begin campaigning on my single issue platform and see what other issues or injustices we can improve on ;-)

Bambi keeps eating my tulips, so how about adding, "a vension roast in every pot"? :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jlabute wrote:A side business! That sure sounds tempting. The province would love to charge us tax for dead leaves sold.

I don't plan on telling them. :130:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We can fill three green bins all at once at this time of year as long as our neighbours don't want to use theirs.

As soon as ours is emptied, I've got it refilled within a few hours because I've had materials stored up in other containers just for the occassion to have the green bin empty again.

It's what does not go into the bin that concerns me. Does the city want live bindweed in their greenbins? I always put in the garbage bin to keep live invasive weeds out of the compost piles. I don't quite trust their system to deal with live roots from a plant that is so tenacious. Same with a few others, into the garbage bin.

And what does one do with the tough prickly shells of horse chesnuts? I often put them in the garbage bin but not always. If a horse chesnut ends up in the compost, I find it the next year completely filled with rich black dirt in it if it hasn't sprouted. The worms in the compost often get in and turn the meat inside into compost. But there is still a shell.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I have been taking my yard waste to the landfill by trailer for more than 20 years. On the return trip I often bring back a cubic yard of "Glenmore Grow", composted yard waste. All the hard work has been done by the city, the branches, roots and nut husks are ground up by heavy equipment and composted in huge piles that reach high temperatures that kill any seeds and pathogens, a process that is not possible in the home compost. The cost is about $1 per cubic ft. It is a great way to freshen up the gardens in the spring. The bonus is they load it into your trailer with a front end loader.
The leaves I spread over open ground that could use some organic material added. We also have 3 compost bins on the go in the garden which we cycle through as the year progresses. We make use of the green bin to get rid of small lots of yard waste.
Waste not
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Grandan wrote:I have been taking my yard waste to the landfill by trailer for more than 20 years. On the return trip I often bring back a cubic yard of "Glenmore Grow", composted yard waste. All the hard work has been done by the city, the branches, roots and nut husks are ground up by heavy equipment and composted in huge piles that reach high temperatures that kill any seeds and pathogens, a process that is not possible in the home compost. The cost is about $1 per cubic ft. It is a great way to freshen up the gardens in the spring. The bonus is they load it into your trailer with a front end loader.
The leaves I spread over open ground that could use some organic material added. We also have 3 compost bins on the go in the garden which we cycle through as the year progresses. We make use of the green bin to get rid of small lots of yard waste.

That would be so awesome - if I had a trailer. And something to pull it with.

Bsuds - do you deliver?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lady tehMa wrote:
Bsuds - do you deliver?

Maybe..check your pm.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Jlabute wrote:Hi everyone.

The green bins are fairly large and therefore during summer months, it takes me 3 or 4 periods to fill it up. As fall arrives, the city still only comes once every two weeks which hardly allows those with lots of leaves to get rid of them. Perhaps starting in October, the green bin can be picked up once a week? Is that a good or bad idea?

My lazy neighbor doesn’t have a problem with his green bin. He just waits for the wind to blow the leaves to either side of him and lets others take care of it. :smt045
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Bsuds wrote:This works for me. I store the extra leaves in bags for the Winter then fill the bin in the Spring for pick up till they are all gone.
So either way they get picked up.

I believe there is a time when you leave your clear bags at the curb and the City picks them all up. I live close to the landfill so I take it myself. Anyone else use this service??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

All yard waste must fit in the green bin.
https://www.regionaldistrict.com/media/ ... lendar.pdf
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

^^^ I read it... it also says, “with lid closed“. There seems to be a little forgiveness if it is open an inch I suppose. So during the winter months, do they lay off all the excess workers when they’re not collecting yard waste? Do they have remaining time to do yard waste every week after October until mid November?

How much are their composters?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Cynthia C

Post by Cynthia C »

Jlabute,
Yard waste collection goes until the end of November. Still every other week though.

Composters are usually sold for around $35-$40 through the RDCO Waste Reduction Office in the spring (March pre-sale in the past)

Return to “Central Okanagan”