Yippee Skippy, Yes, Yes, Yes, can hardly wait!

wanderingchef
Fledgling

Re: Yippee Skippy, Yes, Yes, Yes, can hardly wait!

Post by wanderingchef »

As a person in his thirties, a family man, manager at one business and owner of another business and someone who has lived in town for 10 years....... I think town has improved a bunch since I moved here. Entertainment has improved greatly, along with the amount of good places to eat. The local bike trails have gotten immensely better over the last few years. Building is at an all time high. Penticton is on list after list of "Best places to....."

Overall the culture in Penticton has improved and continues to improve. I have also noticed more young families in town in the last couple years and that is awesome!

The new council has actually done a lot to move Penticton forward after years of stagnation. They even went as far as changing the time in-between reviews of the cities long term plans. Did you know that when this council took office it had been 12 YEARS since the city planned was reviewed and altered AND that the city was actually 15,000 people behind it 12 yr old predictions/goals for city population? Now they review every 5 years.

As someone who is fairly new to town, I always thought Vassilaki was one shady dude. He had sweetheart deals with the city that has made that family a lot of money over the years. IMO he's nothing more than a small time gangster.

Personally I thought the "Save our Parks" brigade was insane and misinformed. Almost as if it was a bunch of bored old people getting excited because they had something to protest about. The overall planned would have only affect less than 1% of the overall park land in the city limits of Penticton.

I also thought the improvements downtown were worth it and Honestly, I wish they would expand and refurbish further up the downtown as far as the high school. A busy downtown is a fantastic way to build a vibrant culture in a city. Nelson is a great example of an awesome small town downtown.

Penticton is IMO full of whiners, whingers and NIMBYS. People who may have moved here looking for a sleepy little town to retire in. People who protest against fun things for families to do. Against waterslides, BMX tracks, bike trail development etc...

People who protest against daycares opening in their neighbourhoods.....

Its time they face the facts..... We live in one of the best places on earth and town is only going to get bigger and better.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Thanks for that wanderingchef. I think the number of people in town who think like you do (and I count myself among them) vastly outnumber the whiners and whingers you mention, it's just that they are not as given to voicing their opinions as those from the negative end of the scale are.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fluffy wrote:Thanks for that wanderingchef. I think the number of people in town who think like you do (and I count myself among them) vastly outnumber the whiners and whingers you mention, it's just that they are not as given to voicing their opinions as those from the negative end of the scale are.

I'm not so sure I agree with Wanderingchef or you Fluffy. I suspect this is more of a perceptual issue that those citizens who value their community have a right to voice their concerns with regard to city issues and spending. To paint all who show concern or disagreement with the same brush speaks volumes about narrow-mindedness. Tax paying citizens have a right to their opinion, however, from what you two speak of it is apparent that unless that opinion falls into your pidgeon hole they are nothing but whiners and complainers. Trust me this mayor and council truly do need these whiners and complainers the past three years prove that. And please ... don't ask me to tell you what is so terrible that they have done because you know full well what has occurred. I really don't believe these threads will end until the next election when Mayor Jak and his ilk are finally gone!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Come on Southy.....don't you remember the day when 500+ people protested outside City Hall, in "Favour" of the commercial development of Skaha Park? They wanted it so much! Oh...wait a minute; now that I think of it? (sorry, I was halucinating) [icon_lol2.gif]

ETA: its nice to see that there are actually 2, maybe three people on here who DO support our present lot in the big white building on Main Street. Could even be possibly up to 4!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I respect people's right to their opinions, but I'm not naive enough to believe that all opinions are in fact, informed opinions. After staying pretty close to the Skaha Park fiasco I know full well how the many can be manipulated by a selfish few with their own agendas. The extent of the misinformation and outright lies that the park-savers used to support their campaign was nothing short of shameful. We are a democratic nation, I'll grant you that, but the number of people who are willing to spend their votes at the behest of others without doing any homework on their own stretches the bounds of irresponsibility. And when you have a supposedly respected local media (they lost my respect years ago) using their influence to foment dissent you have a perfect recipe for failure and stagnation. We go from crying about one mayor to the next, sometimes I'm amazed we get anything done at all.
Last edited by fluffy on Oct 30th, 2017, 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Municipal politics in the Okanagan have ALWAYS been about land use, zoning, and building. Developers donate to certain candidates and expect to have their land serviced by sewers and water with the public at large paying for most of it. Whether it's a waterfront park or a development up on a steep slope, somebody owes somebody else a favour.

Look for a new crop to emerge next year with promises to be clean. Sometimes the rezoning and water lines are done quietly. Sometimes, like the water park, it's done hamhandedly.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

bob vernon wrote: Developers donate to certain candidates and expect to have their land serviced by sewers and water with the public at large paying for most of it.

This statement just makes you a poster person for the definition of the "average voter". Essentially uninformed. The reality is that in all new developments, the developer pays to install all services. Sewer, water, storm, sidewalks, roads and even boulevard landscaping if so required. There is no free ride from the taxpayer kitty. They then turn over all of those assets to the City who then tax the properties for those assets. Further to that, the developer also pays to the City a sum of money in the form of Development Cost Charges to cover the extra load and improvements to existing City infrastructure to the tune of 20 to 32k per residential lot created. That is the money that repaves the street and replaces the 60 yr old sewer and water lines in front of your house Bob. You need to read a little more Bob and quit relying on the Tyee as the gospel truth.
Add up all the costs a developer has to pay to the City to create more housing and then try to figger out why housing is un affordable.
And perhaps, just saying, if owners actually had to pay property taxes that actually paid to upgrade the asphalt, water lines and sewer in the 40 yr old neighborhoods they purchased and lived in on a prorated basis for their property......they might have a different opinion of the benefits of growth.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

XT225 wrote:Come on Southy.....don't you remember the day when 500+ people protested outside City Hall, in "Favour" of the commercial development of Skaha Park? They wanted it so much! Oh...wait a minute; now that I think of it? (sorry, I was halucinating) [icon_lol2.gif]

ETA: its nice to see that there are actually 2, maybe three people on here who DO support our present lot in the big white building on Main Street. Could even be possibly up to 4!

You’re right XT, I do see four people standing up for the present council. Interesting thing though, I only see three people on this thread opposing the current council.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

RupertBear wrote:
You’re right XT, I do see four people standing up for the present council. Interesting thing though, I only see three people on this thread opposing the current council.

You've not been reading the papers (not just what's on here). Far more people are not happy with the present bunch than are in support; anyone who believes otherwise is uninformed. One of the main supporters on this forum even admitted that they had never even MET anyone on council; so their opinion holds little water. You can't base an opinion on what you read or hear only. Get out there and know and understand who these people are; meet them; talk to them; attend council meetings; then state your educated opinion.

I would have liked to have seen 500 or more people in front of city hall in FAVOUR of the Skaha Park commercialization; so that we could better understand who was really wanted it or not. Never happened. Only a very few people took the time to praise council and now even the CAO admits that some of these decisions could have been handled a lot better.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote:You've not been reading the papers...

For a minute there it almost sounded like you were suggesting that the local daily is an accurate barometer for community sentiment.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:
XT225 wrote:You've not been reading the papers...

For a minute there it almost sounded like you were suggesting that the local daily is an accurate barometer for community sentiment.

Wasn't actually meaning any one paper, and I prefer the twice weekly one to be honest. The more a person gets out there, reads, meets and talks to these people, the more that they can actually form a proper unbiased opinion. Going to council meetings (as I have, many times) is the best way to understand what is going on. :up:
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

XT .. Now that's what I call real research. Real people - real concerns - real opinions - real issues. Credit to you for taking the time and making time to find out what's REALLY going on.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I would personally be shocked if Jak even ran again. If he does, he has pretty thick skin. More likely will be a bow out due to personal or business interests to avoid the trouncing he will get and retire with a smidgen of something to put on a resume.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

twobits wrote:I would personally be shocked if Jak even ran again. If he does, he has pretty thick skin. More likely will be a bow out due to personal or business interests to avoid the trouncing he will get and retire with a smidgen of something to put on a resume.

Unfortunately Twobits, I do believe that Jak and a couple other councillors have more than just thick skin, it's the ego that goes with it. A sense of importance. He might just think he has enough votes behind him to take a run at it again. Would crush his ego I'm sure when he loses, but then again, maybe that's what he needs to bring him down to earth. Just my opinion. Should mention though that I heard on the street that a certain female councillor (speaking of egos) is hinting at the possibility of running for mayor. I literally spit my coffee out when I was told about this. So there you go Twobits one more with thick skin and an ego to go with it and I don't think I have to spell out who this lovely lady is. How many more weeks are there till the next election? Can't wait.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Actually, if it were Konanz, It wouldn't be that bad. If it were Sentes, the end of the earth is near. IMO, there are two sitting Councillors worthy of a re elect. Maybe a third with a good Mayor.

Return to “South Okanagan”