Kelowna: A Smart Choice

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Kelowna: A Smart Choice

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210406

According to the Intelligent Community Forum's Smart21 Communities for 2018, Kelowna is among the 21 smartest cities in the world.

The ranking is based on the city's approach and investment in technology to address community goals in areas such as broadband availability, innovation, development of a knowledge workforce, digital equality, sustainability and advocacy.

Kelowna was one of 400 communities around the world to make submissions. The top 21 list includes communities in Australia, Taiwan, France and Finland.

"Kudos to council and staff who have made a very focussed effort in recent years to be a city that is open to opportunities, and deliver or expand the services we provide to businesses and citizens," said Mayor Colin Basran during Monday's council meeting." <snipped the rest>

Ya! We're Almost Number One again maybe and this time it's not for drug overdoses, homelessness or crime!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Kelowna: A Smart Choice

Post by the truth »

i was thinking the same thing, honestly city hall is taking credit for this :200: :laugh:
how about taking credit for being number 1 in crime and od's in canada ,and doing nothing about it, cowards
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

I am pretty sure OD is a personal issue. Stop blaming the city for other people's poor choices. I think they are very well aware of the problem and are working to help fix it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I was thinking the same thing. Good for the City to expand the opportunities.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

This is a positive story, I didn't have to throw in all that negative stuff.

For people like me though, the whole "smart" choice stuff goes as far as my Smarttv, for netflix.

Glad all you techies are having your day. :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

sorry but if the city wants to own the good they can also take credit for the bad
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

No reason for the City to take credit for other people's bad choices and they've acknowledged that people have a problem.

:topic: Having the foresight to engage in technology that benefits the community is a good thing.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

the truth wrote:sorry but if the city wants to own the good they can also take credit for the bad

Your right, you own the good and the bad. But Council and the City directly affect infrastructure such as those stated in the article. Council can't do anything about the fact that Kelowna is a great location to service both Vancouver and Calgary for drugs and other crime and easier to hide in. I do believe they are looking for solutions but Kelowna is not a small town anymore so drug issues, garbage, traffic will all arise as part of that maturing process.

Lets take a win when we get it! :up:
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

Scrobins94 wrote:I am pretty sure OD is a personal issue. Stop blaming the city for other people's poor choices. I think they are very well aware of the problem and are working to help fix it.

I think you are missing something here, and don't get me wrong it is easy to overlook a few things when it comes to a statement like that.

First: Drug Overdoses or Addictions are a symptom (severe one at that) of a community having issues. Now some Overdoses may be choices, some may be accidental however addiction especially to street drugs is usually a sign or societal and/or mental health issues.

Second: The city is a sum of a whole. The city doesn't exist without its citizens, cannot work without them, and can very quickly succeed or fail with them.

If there is an epidemic in a city then the question is how has the community/city addressed or in the worst case scenario failed in addressing issues contributing to a crisis such as the current overdose situation. It is easy to shrug off these deaths to personal choices, but with children (not even teenagers) dying I think we have to realize that we as a community need to get involved and help our fellow "people with personal issues".

In reality Kelowna is quite ahead in Technology, Statistics, and innovation but much of the technology can only assist and not replace services. Seeing how Kelowna is moving forward is extremely impressive, however at the same time we are failing on some of the more basic services and planning issues. There has been a drastic change over the years and many improvements made, yet we have also made a series of mistakes.

The great thing is we have the ability to improve.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Queen K wrote:Glad all you techies are having your day. :130:

Agreed !!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

agree :up:

Return to “Central Okanagan”