Give your opinion on downtown parking!

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Give your opinion on downtown parking!

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210171

Hmmm, oky doky, let's give it a try:

Dear City Council, Or whomever, you want an opinion on downtown city parking and it's situation:

What were you people smoking? Because if I really wrote you a letter/email,

most of it will be puntucated with :swear: and ---> :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: , accompanied with :-X with a dash of

:dash: <--------------you ( :cuss: ) had angle parking taken out and put in useless paralell parking and added extra wide sidewalks further reducing parking spaces you :kick:

Thank you, QK

Okay, opinions please,

Did I win the $100 bux or am I going to have to wrestle it from Bman?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Give your opinion on downtown parking!

Post by dirtybiker »

Queen K wrote:

Did I win the $100 bux or am I going to have to wrestle it from Bman?

I wish you'd plant something other than rose bushes around where I park my butt to watch your wrestlin' matches from.

Parking around the City would do just fine if developers could not just buy their way out
of supplying their own on site parking.
Every time this happens all the parking pressure falls on the surrounding neighbourhoods.

Idealism vs Realism rears it's head again.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

I agree. I went to the Ella showhome and found out Mission Group does not even provide one parking stall with the sale of their smaller units and even the larger units (2 bedroom plus den) only come with 1 parking stall.

The people living there will also surely have visitors, especially in the summer, and where will they park?
mrwoz

Post by mrwoz »

If and when I travel downtown (Which is rare) I park far away from the pay parking, walk does you good. AND... I would never pay for parking to go shopping..free at Wal Mart, Costco, Canadian Tire, Orchard Park Mall. I am sure pay parking downtown is a set back for making a successful business downtown. AND the one time I parked, I had to walk 75 feet purchase a ticket and walk back to my car to place the ticket on my dash, and thats the last time I will be doing that!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I never park around the downtown area since I'm within 20-25 minute walk of the area. 1 thing the city should do is change time allotted for evening parking around Prospera, biggest reason I've never been to a hockey game thats only 2 hrs long.
Of course if CoK wants to continue the money grab so be it, whats an extra 25-30 dollars on a hockey game.... right.
I'm sure owners of the Rockets don't mind a lower attendance.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I wouldn't win that brown note...

My opinion would start off that Basran's an asshat that has screwed downtown small business by eliminating easy access to things people would like to do and vendors NEED by virtue of their parking " policy" ...

It would end with mayor council are a bunch of " on the take " turnips only interested in their own pockets .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

MAPearce wrote:
It would end with mayor council are a bunch of " on the take " turnips only interested in their own pockets .

I couldn't have said that better.
And their short history is littered with clues to their improprieties but people are too stupid and meek to voice their concerns.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I’m always able to find parking in the parkade that’s on the corner of Pandosy and Lawrence. Always. Every time. No matter the time of year or day of the week. It’s also relatively close to most of the things I go downtown for (within a few minute walk).

Because of that parkade, I have no issue with downtown parking.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Okay Jonrox, now that you've told all of Castanet your secret, I hope this luck keeps going for you.

Do you plan to enter that into the contest and win the $100 bux?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Parking is not bad. Try Downtown Vancouver, $30/day and still have to go almost to the top of the parkade to find a spot most of the time.

That said, I hope Kelowna stays as convenient as it is now.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

New parkade next to bus loop is always empty, parked there twice recently and never needed to get past the ground floor. Library parkade is also a good bet if you are heading towards Prospera end of town.
That said i hate getting into downtown, Bernard is a nightmare to drive down particularly in summer, very slow stop/start, really tough trying to turn left and pedestrians everywhere just waiting to be knocked down. I always thought that Bernard would be great if it was completely pedestrianised providing they provide easy nearby parking so the businesses didn't suffer.

In UK now its very popular in busy towns with limited parking to have "park and ride" facilities. Build a large free of charge parking lot out of town that's easily accessible and bus people in for a nominal charge dropping off at one or two key points in town.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Never had an issue with finding parking downtown, and parking has never deterred me from going there. I avail myself of the parkades and it all goes smoothly. On-street parking is a bonus if you find it, but orbiting the block waiting for a spot to open up is a fool's errand, and anyone who's lived in a city before (including this one) ought to know better. The only time I find the parking options insufficient is the odd time when I'm running late and in a hurry, but I can't really hang that on the CoK.

Come on folks, it's not 1985 anymore.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Scrobins94 wrote:Parking is not bad. Try Downtown Vancouver, $30/day and still have to go almost to the top of the parkade to find a spot most of the time.

That said, I hope Kelowna stays as convenient as it is now.

Huh ... Does your kid play minor hockey and practice at Prospera on Thursday evenings ??

6 bucks for 3 hours because his changing time and practice time exceed two hours by a measly 10 minutes ..

Yeah , my little Gretzky plays hockey and I shouldn't biotch about the cost.......
I can afford the hockey and the parking , but sometimes , the parking and the money grab that goes with it is just . plain . stupid .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Small minded as I am, I have never liked parkades...
Never liked parking where the general public is not always cruising by my
vacant vehicle.
Parkades are too insecure, or maybe it's me ?
I have no issue walking a few blocks to get where I'm going if it is for
an event.
If it is just for a pop-in, pop-out stop, and I can't park within a moments walk,
I'll go elsewhere.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Queen K wrote:Okay Jonrox, now that you've told all of Castanet your secret, I hope this luck keeps going for you.

Do you plan to enter that into the contest and win the $100 bux?

Yep. And it’s not really a secret though... the parkades are quite large structures that are easy to spot.

Return to “Central Okanagan”