New ferry for B.C.

Cactusflower
Banned

New ferry for B.C.

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/210780 ... -way-to-BC

What I'd like to know is, what is the total cost to taxpayers? We paid $12.5 million for a 17-year old Greek vessel, but there's no telling how much it cost to bring it over here (more than 10,000 nautical miles) and how much to retrofit it for the Port Hardy - Bella Coola run. I have suggested that it might have been advantageous to have a ferry built at the B.C. shipyards instead, seeing as how everybody is concerned about job opportunities, but as usual, my suggestion has been shot down by the usual suspects, for no other obvious reason than it was a BC Liberal acquisition.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/210780/New-ferry-on-way-to-BC

What I'd like to know is, what is the total cost to taxpayers? We paid $12.5 million for a 17-year old Greek vessel, but there's no telling how much it cost to bring it over here (more than 10,000 nautical miles) and how much to retrofit it for the Port Hardy - Bella Coola run. I have suggested that it might have been advantageous to have a ferry built at the B.C. shipyards instead, seeing as how everybody is concerned about job opportunities, but as usual, my suggestion has been shot down by the usual suspects, for no other obvious reason than it was a BC Liberal acquisition.

Your suggestion was shot down because it was a lame duck to begin with. You were shooting down the lifeline that is being cast to the people of Bella Coola just because it was a Liberal that cast that line out to them.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

B.C.'s newest ferry is on its way from Greece.

The Northern Sea Wolf is expected to arrive on the B.C. Coast in early December. It will serve the Port Hardy to Bella Coola run for BC Ferries next summer.

The vessel left Athens Friday and will travel 10,097 nautical miles across the Mediterranean, Atlantic, through the Panama Canal and up the Pacific Coast.

It can carry 35 vehicles and 150 passengers and crew, and was built in 2000"

That's it? 35 vehicles and 150 passengers? For Pt. Hardy to Bella Coola in the height of tourist season? What a freaking joke. It's too small already, before hitting our coastline.

Disgraceful.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Queen K wrote:B.C.'s newest ferry is on its way from Greece.

The Northern Sea Wolf is expected to arrive on the B.C. Coast in early December. It will serve the Port Hardy to Bella Coola run for BC Ferries next summer.

The vessel left Athens Friday and will travel 10,097 nautical miles across the Mediterranean, Atlantic, through the Panama Canal and up the Pacific Coast.

That's it? 35 vehicles and 150 passengers? For Pt. Hardy to Bella Coola in the height of tourist season? What a freaking joke. It's too small already, before hitting our coastline.

Disgraceful.

That is twice the capacity of the last one.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This isn't new news.
BC Ferries launched an international search for a ferry last year after the provincial government committed the route between Northern Vancouver Island and the mid-coast to help boost Aboriginal tourism and the mid-coast economy. The roughly 10-hour trip will be made in daylight for tourism reasons.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/ ... ferry.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/210780/New-ferry-on-way-to-BC

Please, if you have some facts and figures to add credence to your statement, then please do.
How much cost do you think it takes to drive a boat for 35 days with no cargo and minimal crew?
How many days does it take for a cargo ship to cross from China to Canada?
How much is this going to cost to run this boat daily from Port Hardy and Bella Coola and how many days/year is this going happen?
What is the distance between Bella Coola and Port hardy and how many hours will the trip take?
What is going to be the fare to ride on this route?
What are the capital costs, as compared to the gains and who is going to receive the greatest benefit?

I say scrap it and sink the boat before it even gets here. It is not needed and never will be.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^It's not only disgraceful, it is totally disgusting to see how the corrupt BC Liberals so arrogantly wasted taxpayer dollars over the past 16 years!!
Chill
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Fancy wrote:This isn't new news.
BC Ferries launched an international search for a ferry last year after the provincial government committed the route between Northern Vancouver Island and the mid-coast to help boost Aboriginal tourism and the mid-coast economy. The roughly 10-hour trip will be made in daylight for tourism reasons.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/ ... ferry.html

Today's headline is new. What is your problem?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:Today's headline is new. What is your problem?

Why are you making this personal? I just said this isn't "new news". It's not. Where was the complaining in April? Maybe try to respond to the post and read the link.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 5th, 2017, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

alanjh595 wrote:
Queen K wrote:B.C.'s newest ferry is on its way from Greece.

Disgraceful.

That is twice the capacity of the last one.

Which is a double disgrace. So small for too long and then not even be up-graded properly? UGH.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

it will undergo upgrades in the fall, including overhauling the main engines and generators, replacing life-saving equipment and upgrading the navigation equipment. All passenger areas will be refurbished.
What exactly isn't being upgraded properly?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Passenger and vehicle capacity.

All the gew gaws in the World on a boat will not make up for the fact that the under size of the capacity further limits tourist prospects both to and from Bella Coola and Port Hardy.

Make no mistake, I will be vying for one of those spots, but so will hundreds of other people from around the World. Only 35 vehicles? What a joke.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Sounds to me the BC Liberals/BC Ferries are buying a hulk that needs rather massive refurbishing:

The ferry corporation will take possession of the Aqua Spirit in August and it will undergo upgrades in the fall, including overhauling the main engines and generators, replacing life-saving equipment and upgrading the navigation equipment. All passenger areas will be refurbished.
Service will begin in mid-June and run through mid-September with sailings five days a week.
Chill
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The BCLibs probably planned to contract all that out to a pay-to-play corporation run by some of their cronies.

Return to “B.C.”