GG takes on fake news

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: GG takes on fake news

Post by Urbane »

Verum wrote:Yes, in so far as she is the Queen's representative. It's not my place to say what the Queen or her representative should or shouldn't say. If she goes too far, we should look at removing the monarchy. In fact, we should probably do so anyway, but that's a different discussion.
That's fair enough. It's definitely your right NOT to have an opinion and it's also my right TO have an opinion. My opinion is that her comments were out of line.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Julie pulled a Hillary without using the word deplorable.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

How could stating reality be out of line ? :smt045
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

It’s not. Snowflakes here just want to censor any speech that doesn’t match their world view so they don’t get offended.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Omnitheo wrote:It’s not. Snowflakes here just want to censor any speech that doesn’t match their world view so they don’t get offended.
You totally don't understand why the GG has received widespread criticism. The fact that you believe it's because people don't agree with her opinions just shows that you need to learn about the role of the Governor General. Do a little research and then get back to us.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Urbane wrote:That's fair enough. It's definitely your right NOT to have an opinion and it's also my right TO have an opinion. My opinion is that her comments were out of line.

Whether you have an opinion or not is largely irrelevant. Her boss, the person she essentially works for is the Queen and ultimately it is her opinion that matters. Do you go around critiquing the job performance of other people who are not there to represent you, or on your behalf?

Beyond that, has she brought the position of Governor General into disrepute by her actions? I would contend no as nothing she did was questionable behaviour for an individual and she did not abuse her position. I stand by my assertion that she was not acting in her official capacity as Governor General and she has so far seemingly not offended the Queen by her actions, which if she had, the Queen would certainly be not amused and would quite quickly and without drama have taken action.

I certainly do have an opinion on the matter. I would welcome removing the monarchy from Canadian life and that would of course mean removing the Governor General, but until we do this, the Governor General is the Queen's representative and as such, so long as she doesn't bring disrepute to the position through corruption or similar, it is essentially not our place to criticise her unless we are willing to extend that same criticism to those she represents.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Verum wrote:I certainly do have an opinion on the matter. I would welcome removing the monarchy from Canadian life and that would of course mean removing the Governor General, but until we do this, the Governor General is the Queen's representative and as such, so long as she doesn't bring disrepute to the position through corruption or similar, it is essentially not our place to criticise her unless we are willing to extend that same criticism to those she represents.
Agreed. It's not your place (since you feel that way) but those of us who found her comments out of line are free to criticize. We don't live in a dictatorship you know!
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I kinda figure that the GG should:

A) be above politics
B) respect the varied beliefs of people

That requires some professionalism. When I worked in management, two basic rules: check your politics and your religious/spiritual beliefs at the door. I never expressed either while at work or in settings where the interested constituency (in that case other employees of any level, up, equal or subordinate) were present.

To me, that means the remarks made as GG were unprofessional. Professionalism requires that you stick to your knitting, which is the professional requirements of the position.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Omnitheo wrote:October 20, 1963 – October 2, 2017: Ms Julie Payette[34]
October 2, 2017 –: Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada.[35][36]

Appointments
2000 –: Knight of the National Order of Québec
2001 –: Knight of la Pléiade de l'Association des parlementaires de langue française
June 10, 2010 –: Member of the Canadian Aviation Hall of Fame[37]
May 6, 2010 – September 20, 2017: Officer of the Order of Canada (OC)
September 20, 2017 – October 2, 2017: Companion of the Order of Canada (CC)[38]
October 2, 2017 –: Chancellor and Principal and extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada (CC)
2013 –: Academy of Great Montrealers (Scientific category)[39]
2016 –: Commander of the Order of Montreal[39]
September 20, 2017 – October 2, 2017: Commander of the Order of Military Merit (CMM)[38]
October 2, 2017 –: Chancellor and extraordinary Commander of the Order of Military Merit (CMM)
September 20, 2017 – October 2, 2017: Commander of the Order of Merit of the Police Forces (COM)[40]
October 2, 2017 –: Chancellor and Commander of the Order of Merit of the Police Forces (COM)
October 2, 2017 –: Dame of Justice, Prior, and Chief Officer in Canada of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem (DStJ)[41]
October 2, 2017 –: Patron Scout of Canada
October 2, 2017 –: Honorary Chief Commissioner of the Canadian Coast Guard
Medals
2012: Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
September 28, 2017: Canadian Forces Decoration[42]
Foreign honours
June 25, 2010: NASA Exceptional Service Medal[29]
Honorary military appointments
October 2, 2017 –: Colonel of the Regiment of the Governor General's Horse Guards
October 2, 2017 –: Colonel of the Regiment of the Governor General's Foot Guards
October 2, 2017 –: Colonel of the Regiment of the Canadian Grenadier Guards
Honorary degrees
Payette holds 27 honorary doctorates,[43] Some of the honorary degrees she has received:

1999: Queen's University, Doctor of Science (DSc)[44]
1999: University of Ottawa, Doctor of the University (DUniv)[45]
March 10, 2000: Simon Fraser University, Doctor of Laws (LLD)[46]
2000: Université Laval, Doctorate
2001: University of Regina, Doctorate[47]
2001: Royal Roads University, Doctorate[48]
June 13, 2001: University of Toronto, Doctor of Science (DSc)[49]
June 2002: University of Victoria, Doctor of Science (DSc)[50]
2002: Nipissing University, Doctor of Letters (DLitt)[51]
June 3, 2003: McGill University, Doctor of Science (DSc)[52][53]
2004: Mount Saint Vincent University, Doctor of Humane Letters (DHL)[54]
June 2004: McMaster University, Doctor of Science (DSc)[55]
2005: University of Lethbridge, Doctor of Science (DSc)[56]
2006: University of Alberta, Doctorate
November 25, 2010: University of British Columbia, Doctor of Science (DSc)[57][58]
2010: York University, Doctor of Science (DSc)[59]
June 2010: Concordia University, Doctor of Science (DSc)[60]
2010: University of Waterloo, Doctor of Science (DSc)[61]
2011: Niagara University, Doctor of Laws (LLD)[62]
2012: Carleton University, Doctor of Engineering (DEng)[63]
June 4, 2012: Vancouver Island University, Doctor of Technology (DTech)[64]
May 30, 2013: University of Manitoba, Doctor of Science (DSc)[65]
June 10, 2013: University of Calgary, Doctor of Laws (LLD)[66][67]
June 23, 2016: British Columbia Institute of Technology, Doctor of Technology (DTech)[68]

Thats nothing compared to Al Gore - he invented the Internet - so that makes him the real expert on climate change :smt045
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Please tell me what the GG said that was political? There is no political debate in our government on creationism, astrology, or climate change.

I am well aware of the function of the Governor General. But being a GG doesn’t revoke her ability as a private citizen or as a former astronaut to talk about science at a science conference. Not to mention that what she stated was not simply an opinion, but facts. She is right, it is incredulous that still today people refute evolution. The fact that there are some people who refute evolution is a fact. The opinion part is how incredulous it is, and this is an opinion shared by anyone with scientific understanding. Nothing about this is political though, as we have separation of church and state. The government cannot make decisions based on religion, so instead we make decisions based on scientific fact. Such as that evolution exists, hence why there is a need for different flu shots each year.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

From Robyn Urback:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/governor ... -1.4384481

Excerpt:

Payette didn't simply "state facts" as some of her defenders have insisted. (In any case, stating a fact can still be perceived as making a political statement; had Payette flippantly dismissed traditional Indigenous healing methods instead of cancer patients taking sugar pills, I doubt she'd be afforded the defences she's currently enjoying from many observers.) Rather, she appeared to deride people for their beliefs.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Well if we’re posting other individual’s takes on this...
Pulled from comments to that opinionists editorial:

Dre0303
These topics are apolitical. Freedom of religion is the only path where religion and politics should cross. If you subscribe to a religion that has non-sensical ideologies, it does not mean those topics are off the table for the GG to talk about. For example, we all know that some religious factions believe I the subjugation of women, the GG is not going to avoid the topic of equality for women in society because some religious group would have their beliefs undermined. In fact the GG is doing her role well, by reinforcing fact-based information to highlight the issues and concerns that affect all Canadian

Connor Hughes
Can the phony outrage. This isn't the United States and we don't bow to the religious lobby. If you don't agree with her that's fine but don't waste our time with this hysteria. You have freedom of religion and the rest of us should enjoy freedom from your creed.

No offence intended to anyone, but religion should be like your sex life. Whether you have one or you don't , it's nobody's business but your own.

Andrew Eisenhawer
Touchy Creationists

On 2017-11-03 the Governor General, Julie Payette, speaking at a science conference made some comments extolling evolution and disparaging creationism. The head of the Conservative Party, Andrew Sheer, chastised her severely for insulting Canadians who believed in creationism.

Nobody is required to pretend to believe the tenets of anyone else’s religion, especially one as idiotic as creationism. Christians do not have the right to demand deference from non-believers. That is like forcing others to bow down to false gods.

Simply disagreeing with someone is not insulting them. If they feel insulted, their skin is far too thin. Their hurt feeling are their own fault.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Why would gg or anyone dismiss first nation healing practices? The rightwingers are so desperate to make the non alt righters look bad they are wiling to liable our first nations and gg ? Sad and shamefull
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

If you subscribe to a religion that has non-sensical ideologies, it does not mean those topics are off the table for the GG to talk about.

And there it is right there. What's nonsensical to one person or one group may be sacred to another. Some people are in the "I agree with what she says so it's fine that she said it" camp but that is a misreading of the role of the GG.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Yet you disregard the second part of that person’s statement. When Justin Trudeau says that women are equal, is it offensive and inappropriate because some faiths disagree? Would it be inappropriate of the GG to go to a woman’s conference and say that women deserve to be treated equally? Because some religious groups might take offence?

Return to “Canada”