Gas $139.9

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Gas $139.9

Post by Bsuds »

Old Techie wrote:How would you define it?

Screw the masses.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

We get mad for paying 139.9 for gas but will pay more than 2 dollars for 500ml of bottled water.....FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Omnitheo wrote:That’s a load of BS. Why should we pay for their pipeline repair? When a fibre line gets cut for Shaw, they don’t just tell all their customers “we’re charging an extra $10 this month”

Any business needs to be able to cover their expenses. If they have an unexpected expense, it needs to cut into their profits. Not be passed onto others.

At least you should be very happy about the high prices, since high prices is the main driver of reducing CO2 emissions.

Anyway, I just went to fill up, and changed my mind...

gasprices.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That Diesel is a good price! :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

how much is the wife worth, maybe a lube job, :laugh: :laugh:
Last edited by the truth on Nov 6th, 2017, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

Chyren wrote:We get mad for paying 139.9 for gas but will pay more than 2 dollars for 500ml of bottled water.....FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.

Not really a fair comparison using tiny bottles of water. You can easily buy 4L jugs of water for less than 2 dollars in most stores. Going bigger, many places sell 18.9L bottles of water for under $7 - which comes to $0.37 per litre. I'm sure if you were to buy over 50L of water at once (similar to fuelling up an average vehicle), it would be even cheaper than that.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

PDT wrote:
Chyren wrote:We get mad for paying 139.9 for gas but will pay more than 2 dollars for 500ml of bottled water.....FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.

Not really a fair comparison using tiny bottles of water. You can easily buy 4L jugs of water for less than 2 dollars in most stores. Going bigger, many places sell 18.9L bottles of water for under $7 - which comes to $0.37 per litre. I'm sure if you were to buy over 50L of water at once (similar to fuelling up an average vehicle), it would be even cheaper than that.

I tend to ignore people that post comparisons of fuel to other liquids, it shows a lack of understanding to the economic model and what everything costs, like the fuel need to transport the very water they use as an example. It tells me they probably ride a bike, chew granola and wear hemp clothing while making sweet love to a tree for the planet. If they had any idea what fuel costs do to every ones pocket books overall, they would probably think about this on a socioeconomic level rather than "Ugggg water cheap fuel cheaper me like pay for fuel you too should like price".

Don't even get started on the carbon tax added to it all.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Thanks for making the case for solar powered vehicles :130: [icon_lol2.gif]
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Speak for yourself. I had a water purification system installed so not only do I save money, but what comes out of my tap is also cleaner than what you get in some of those bottled water options, one brand of which even had a recall this past year.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

My whole house is fitted with a great filtration system, was only $12.000. I laugh at people who buy premium gas thinking its better for them. [icon_lol2.gif]
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

Jonrox wrote:
Old Techie wrote:I'm not venting, simply suggesting that it would be nice if big oil were bound by the same rules of operation that all other businesses are.

The issue lies in the fact that governments benefit hugely from big oil, thus turn a blind eye to things they would otherwise address, were it a small business.

A case of "don't bite the hand that feeds you" so to speak.

This is funny. Big Oil IS bound by the same rules of operation as other businesses, but you’re asking them to be bound by some other set of rules. Other businesses charge prices that the market will bear. That’s what Big Oil is doing. You just don’t like that the rules aren’t different for them.

The problem arises because because people get upset by this so Big Oil has had to come up with reasons for prices that are more palatable to consumers that don’t understand business or economics very well. You don’t like to hear “we charge what we charge because you’ll pay it”. But that’s exactly what Big Oil and every company out there that knows what they’re doing is doing.

You pay much higher margins on almost everything else you buy and do so without complaining. But with gas, everyone thinks they’re all of a sudden some kind of business expert. You don’t understand the skill of analyzing the market and setting your prices based on that without regard to costs.

You have no problem paying Apple and Samsung 300% markup on your cell phone. You happily pay 500% on a lot of the clothes and shoes you buy. And yet you get upset with the gas companies for charging much lower margins. When you start to understand that prices have nothing to do with costs and are in fact set by the market, you’ll stop being so angry about gas prices.

For proof that consumer buying decisions aren’t set by costs, without using Google tell me what the cost to produce of the following items is...

- a Samsung 60” TV
- a can of Campbell’s tomato soup
- a Lazy Boy leather sofa

You don’t care what the costs of those items is and yet you still buy them. The costs are irrelevant in your buying decision, just as the cost to produce gas is irrelevant to your buying decision. Your buying decision is based on whether that item has value at the price the manufacturer decided on. Therefore, the market is setting the price and your buying behavior suggests the price of gas is providing value.

I’ve said it before that most of you are actually getting a good deal on gas whether you want to admit it or not. I’m guessing most of you would pay much higher prices than what we’re currently seeing before you actually change your buying habits. If you don’t change your behavior it’s evidence that you still feel you’re getting good enough value. You can say you’re upset but your behavior is telling Big Oil you’re still quite happy with them and their product.

Maybe, but we don't buy a Samsung 60" tv, or a Lazyboy leather sofa, cell phones once a week, but most of us have to fuel up once a week, to get to work so we can buy a new couch every 5 years or longer. People would not *bleep* if they got value for their dollar. Raising fuel prices also means food and other commodities go up. The poor Consumer always gets it in the a@#
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

maryjane48 wrote:Thanks for making the case for solar powered vehicles :130: [icon_lol2.gif]

But the N.D.P. is closing down site c, How are you going to plug in all these electric cars that are coming out in the near future?
At least Christy was thinking ahead of the game :smt045
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

The way I witness a very large portion of the motoring public drive.
Hard on the throttle, and those even harder on the throttle.
Followed by Hard on the brakes.

Seems these people are fine with the price.

Certainly not thinking about saving any fuel while behind the wheel......

Doh......Sorry....That would involve thinking.....

Carry on.......

:topic:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

you dont buy 60 liters of water every week .if you do there is great savings by buying bulk
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

voice of reason wrote:

you dont buy 60 liters of water every week .if you do there is great savings by buying bulk

Wall mart sells 10L jugs for $3.97, so for $23.82 you can get 60L of water. Add taxes and eco fees you are still under $32.00...

Gas is 1.399 for 1L, so for $83.94 you can get 60L of gas.

Mind you, the water from my tap at home is much cheaper than buying it at Wall Mart.

The water argument is nothing other than dumb, but you know that. Hopefully Chyren figures it out too. $2.00 for 500ml of water?! Where the hell are you buying your water from Chyren? Trump labs?, it seems you will gladly pay anywhere from 4 times to double the price for everything according to what you are presenting here as a comparison.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/pantry-househ ... ter/N-3123
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”