...Just a few friends over....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: ...Just a few friends over....

Post by Queen K »

The problem with kids is that they've all been Disney-fied.

"Don't tell adults what is going on" is a central theme in a lot of Disney movies for the past 20 years. See enough of them and parents are the freaking enemy and so are the police.

Call the police on your friends? Are you kidding Bman?

Unfortunately this problem is not going away any day soon.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Where was a responsible adult to phone just in case? The police see a lot of this behaviour (house breaking parties) and it's up to the parent to really slam home to their child what their responsibilities are. No one but the 5 - no exceptions. Call so and so if anything happens - call the police in an emergency.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Just want to clarify my originating post:

I didn't say the kid who is had the party was on social media saying "no parents at home" and needs schooling on internet behaviour....I'm thinking even any one of the 5 kids invited could have mentioned it to another kid (a brother, a sister) etc. Stuff like that gets around. Once it's in the wind there's no stopping it....

As for the 20 year old living at home being an adult - yes obviously a 20 year old is an adult and doesn't need parental supervision and when they move out on their own and want to have a party - great - they can foot the tab for any destruction etc. If someone is having a party in YOUR home and invites people - it's very easy (even for the 20 year old's friends) to inadvertently or intentionally say something that gets around.

It is YOUR house - you get to make the rules for whoever is living there - no matter the age - to avoid what these homeowner parents are going through and what they will go through financially, because they didn't oversee the party. That was their choice.

As for the 14 year old - it could have ended badly - it didn't thankfully - but the 14 year old's party should have had a parent present IMHO.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Bman wrote:Responsible kids don't post on social media advertising a party with no parents.
And if a 20 year old kid can't have friends over without the homeowner or parents close by, I suggest the parent may be more to blame for that than the kid is.
Most parents out there are idiots, and they're raising a country of irresponsible people that have no accountability and feel there should be only chosen consequences for their actions.

Our future leaders!
Lol. Makes one laugh sometimes.

word could have made the rounds in may ways - not just social media....I've clarified my original post in a new one...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dle wrote:As for the 20 year old living at home being an adult - yes obviously a 20 year old is an adult and doesn't need parental supervision and when they move out on their own and want to have a party - great - they can foot the tab for any destruction etc. If someone is having a party in YOUR home and invites people - it's very easy (even for the 20 year old's friends) to inadvertently or intentionally say something that gets around.

My kids having a few friends over was never a problem and parties aren't the issue. This particular 14 year old didn't plan on having a wild party either.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

lightspeed wrote:
Queen K wrote:OMIGOD, what the hell has happened to youth today?

Parents happened.

also, government happened. Parenting has been taken away from parents it seems - slight exaggeration here but a smack on the rear is abuse, a time-out is abandonment, grounding is against the kids' charter of rights....you get my drift....
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dle wrote:also, government happened. Parenting has been taken away from parents it seems - slight exaggeration here but a smack on the rear is abuse, a time-out is abandonment, grounding is against the kids' charter of rights....you get my drift....

Nonsense - there are a lot of families with responsible kids who have a few friends over that don't result in a wrecked house.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Queen K wrote:Call the police on your friends? Are you kidding Bman?
Friends have done exactly that in the nick of time - true friends sober up and appreciate the call.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

This sort of stuff has been happening for years even back 17 years ago before cell phones and social media were a thing. Growing up in Vernon going to house parties was the thing to do and yes some would get totally out of control while others were just some good ol fashion fun.
I myself have had many house parties when my parents were gone for the weekend and never had any issues. because I was very cautious of whom I would invite and always gave instructions that only people invited would be allowed in. Yeah sure some of my parents booze would be drank but generally everyone was respectful because we were all friends. In fact my parents could always tell when I had people over because the house would cleaner than when they left. And because nothing went wrong they never said anything to me and trusted me that I would never let anything or anyone disrespect my house.
My guess is that these teenage girls were trying to impress some people and were convinced to let in a few randoms and it just escalated from there unfortunately. If anything its been a Good life lesson for all those involved.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

gotta say there sure is a lot of irony in this one sentence from the Parent's letter...

" As parents we have a responsibility to know where our kids are and what they are doing "

so why didn't this parent's kid call them the minute more kids showed up ?? where were the parents ?? and why didn't your kid call you right away ?? and why didn't your kid call 911 right away when strangers started coming in ??

and as a parent, why didn't you call your kid and check up on her ??
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

W105 wrote:gotta say there sure is a lot of irony in this one sentence from the Parent's letter...

" As parents we have a responsibility to know where our kids are and what they are doing "

so why didn't this parent's kid call them the minute more kids showed up ?? where were the parents ?? and why didn't your kid call you right away ?? and why didn't your kid call 911 right away when strangers started coming in ??

and as a parent, why didn't you call your kid and check up on her ??

agree 100% with every question here...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I actually brought those points up. Maybe the parents were at a Rocket's game or a movie? They wouldn't be available by cell when it was crucial. I doubt we'll get an update.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Nedroj wrote:My guess is that these teenage girls were trying to impress some people and were convinced to let in a few randoms and it just escalated from there unfortunately. If anything its been a Good life lesson for all those involved.

Here's another lesson: Teenage girls are the nastiest group if ingrates when it suits them. Maybe #6 was feeling left-out and decided to 'start something'. There is at least one group of kids laughing their *bleep* off at this situation. This has been happening from time immemorial.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

yeah, doubt we'll get an update...

but thank god this parent took the time to go on social media and tell/warn other parents to know what their kids are doing cause it's their responsibility...

great advice..hope next time he takes it..lol
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Return to “Social Concerns”