Teksavvy?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
botch161598

Teksavvy?

Post by botch161598 »

Curious as to if anyone around uses teksavvy? Was thinking about switching to them but saw people reporting problems (I think they were from ON but still curious if anyone has had any problems here).
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Teksavvy?

Post by Merry »

I also am considering making the switch to Teksavvy, and was wondering the same thing? Has anybody tried them and, if so, what do you think?

Good reviews can be posted here, but if it's bad news you'd better just pm me.

The reason I'm thinking of switching is the cost, because even if I stay with DSL it's a lot cheaper than Telus, and if I decide to switch to a cable set up it will be cheaper still. So I think it's going to be a "no brainer" to make the leap, providing I don't get any negative reviews via PM.

Any comments?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I've been with TekSavvy for around 7 years. I have absolutely no regrets, they're awesome. Their support is great, as well. (I've only used it twice when moving; refreshing to talk to an actual Canadian at such times, lol)

The only complaints I've read about is during initial setup, sometimes the incumbent carrier (eg. Telus) drags their heels in taking care of it. (since TS essentially "re-sells" the lines, it's not TS who shows up to your door, it's the incumbent carrier) Although that hasn't happened to me during my initial setup and moves; just thought I'd toss out that little heads-up.
Your bias suits you.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I just called Telus to tell them I was considering making the switch to Teksavvy and I was on hold for AN HOUR AND A HALF waiting to talk to an agent. Ridiculous.

Then, when I finally did get through the agent was almost impossible to understand (sounded like a very heavy South American accent to me).

Anyway, when I told him what I was considering he suggested I apply for one of their two year plans, and get the cheap rate for the first year. But, as I pointed out, their so called "cheap" rate is still more than I'd pay TekSavvy, and the Telus second year rate would be even more than that. So thanks, but no thanks.

Right now Teksavvy is looking very attractive to me, although I'll think on it a bit more before making my final decision. They certainly have way more attractive rates than either Telus or Shaw, and right now they're waiving the installation fee. So, once I've given it a bit more thought, it's probably going to be a "no brainer" to make the switch.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Merry wrote:I just called Telus to tell them I was considering making the switch to Teksavvy and I was on hold for AN HOUR AND A HALF waiting to talk to an agent. Ridiculous.

Then, when I finally did get through the agent was almost impossible to understand (sounded like a very heavy South American accent to me).

In my experience with TS, it's always a Canadian speaking clear English and based in Ontario. Next to no wait times.
Your bias suits you.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Merry wrote:I just called Telus to tell them I was considering making the switch to Teksavvy and I was on hold for AN HOUR AND A HALF waiting to talk to an agent. Ridiculous.

Anyway, when I told him what I was considering he suggested I apply for one of their two year plans, and get the cheap rate for the first year. But, as I pointed out, their so called "cheap" rate is still more than I'd pay TekSavvy, and the Telus second year rate would be even more than that. So thanks, but no thanks.

Just tell Telus your canceling NOW! You'll get transferred to another department where someone will make you an offer to stay. I told Telus I'm switching to Teksavvy TekTalk for $9.95/m and they offered me $14/m to stay. I kind of lied because in BC TekTalk is actually $9.95/m plus $12.75/m for a dry loop. The agent said they've never heard of Teksavvy so I guess we both lied a little! [icon_lol2.gif]

Nice thing about Teksavvy DSL is I always get the advertised speeds and the price has never increased, and they can't monitor usage in BC .... yet!
botch161598

Post by botch161598 »

Saw that but was wondering if anyone around the OK experiencing any problems?
botch161598

Post by botch161598 »

Right now Teksavvy is looking very attractive to me, although I'll think on it a bit more before making my final decision. They certainly have way more attractive rates than either Telus or Shaw, and right now they're waiving the installation fee. So, once I've given it a bit more thought, it's probably going to be a "no brainer" to make the switch.

Havent had any bad experience with Telus' tech support but the waiting music was awful ha. Im currently paying around $45 for 1 mbps with telus :( Doesent it take a month or something to switch tho?
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

DANSPEED wrote:Nice thing about Teksavvy DSL is I always get the advertised speeds and the price has never increased, and they can't monitor usage in BC .... yet!

Yep! And in my case (and a ton of other TS users) the price actually decreased fairly recently! As for monitoring usage - their unlimited plans are decently priced (every speed tier has an unlimited version). Some ISPs don't even offer them at all. [icon_lol2.gif]
Your bias suits you.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

botch161598 wrote:Havent had any bad experience with Telus' tech support but the waiting music was awful ha. Im currently paying around $45 for 1 mbps with telus :( Doesent it take a month or something to switch tho?

Is that 1 Mbps down? If so $45/year sounds good! Depending where you are Teksavvy's cheapest DSL plan is 6 Mbps / 1 Mbps 400GB for $29.99/m. And no it doesn't take a month to switch, more like a few business days but like Woodenhead mentioned Telus might not hurry to make the switch even though you paid them $75! You'll need a new modem. I bought a cheap ZyXEL modem (P-660R-F1) from Canada Computers. Teksavvy's modems are too pricey.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Woodenhead wrote:Yep! And in my case (and a ton of other TS users) the price actually decreased fairly recently! As for monitoring usage - their unlimited plans are decently priced (every speed tier has an unlimited version). Some ISPs don't even offer them at all. [icon_lol2.gif]

... and Teksavvy includes unlimited usage between 2am and 8am. I don't remember Telus offering that!
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Let see to get teksavvy DSL 6, 4 mbps down, 1 mbps up
cost: 29.99
modem 99.95
modem shipping 10.00
dry loop band A 6.90 OR band B 11.39 through to band G 26.84 all PER MONTH
dry loop activation fee 39.99
internet activation fee 49.95
dsl activation fee discount with modem purchase -20.00
line speed change 25.00
total to sign up: $216.78
per month charge after:36.89
https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/int ... l/dsl-6-bc

basic, 5 mbps down, .5 mbps up (slower up compared to teksavy, but faster down than teksavvy) 25.00
modem free (or included in the monthly bill of $25
total cost to sign up $25.00
per month charge after: $25.00
Capture.JPG

basic plus, 20 mbps down; 1.5 mbps up $35.00
family, 30 mbps down; 5 mbps up $43
pro 150, 150 mbps down; 15 mbps up $70.00
no activation fee, modem charge, and all with unlimited data
(if you want wireless connectivity, you will have to buy your own router)
https://can-com.com/Internet/High-Speed-Internet

looks to be a no brainer which offers the better price.... :up: :biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif]
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

kelownman wrote:Let see to get teksavvy DSL 6, 4 mbps down, 1 mbps up
cost: 29.99
modem 99.95
modem shipping 10.00
dry loop band A 6.90 OR band B 11.39 through to band G 26.84 all PER MONTH
dry loop activation fee 39.99
internet activation fee 49.95
dsl activation fee discount with modem purchase -20.00
line speed change 25.00
total to sign up: $216.78
per month charge after:36.89
https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/int ... l/dsl-6-bc

basic, 5 mbps down, .5 mbps up (slower up compared to teksavy, but faster down than teksavvy) 25.00
modem free (or included in the monthly bill of $25
total cost to sign up $25.00
per month charge after: $25.00
Capture.JPG

basic plus, 20 mbps down; 1.5 mbps up $35.00
family, 30 mbps down; 5 mbps up $43
pro 150, 150 mbps down; 15 mbps up $70.00
no activation fee, modem charge, and all with unlimited data
(if you want wireless connectivity, you will have to buy your own router)
https://can-com.com/Internet/High-Speed-Internet

looks to be a no brainer which offers the better price.... :up: :biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif]

Of course if resident is not hooked up to Shaw cable, that could be a problem.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I was interested in Teksavvy because I want to retain DSL service, rather than switch to cable internet.

Cable tends to slow down at busy times of day, and another problem (in my house) is that there is no cable hookup in the room I have my office. So the modem would have to be hooked up in a different room, on a different floor. I know I can link to it using WIfi, but I prefer to have a direct link when I'm at home. So, if I go DSL, there is a connection right behind my where my desk is currently located.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”