Should seniors lose their vote ?

Even Steven
Guru

Re: Should seniors lose their vote ?

Post by Even Steven »

I'd rather give double votes to 50+ year-olds and strip away voting rights for anybody who is under 25.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Even prisoners have the right to vote.
When Canadians vote in the federal election in October, thousands will cast their ballot from behind bars. Inmates in federal prisons and provincial jails are eligible to vote for a candidate in the riding where they lived before they were incarcerated.Aug 25, 2015

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada- ... -1.3202010

Why would prisoners have more rights than seniors?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

bob vernon wrote: Instead of spending those taxpayer funded, gold plated pensions in Canada, many spend the winter in places like Texas, Arizona, or Mexico. Soaking up the sun and partying at the expense of the taxpaying public while the rest of us work here at home in Canada and freeze.

You are missing the fact these seniors (snowbirds and ex-pats) spent their working careers here in Canada freezing their *bleep* off, paying tax and still pay income tax to the Canadian government to help fund the services of the taxpaying public despite not living in Canada and having access to those services (medical coverage for ex-pats, for example) themselves.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

bob vernon wrote:Maybe not lose their vote, but seniors who are out of the country for more than 30 days should lose the indexation on their pensions for that time. Instead of spending those taxpayer funded, gold plated pensions in Canada, many spend the winter in places like Texas, Arizona, or Mexico. Soaking up the sun and partying at the expense of the taxpaying public while the rest of us work here at home in Canada and freeze.

Really? So those who work their whole lives to save enough to be able to actually live their lives out where they want should be punished because they can, and let me guess, you can't?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Fancy wrote:I haven't had the time to read everything but you have posted a very interesting "discussion to have" to be sure. I'd say no right off the bat because of experience and knowledge and the fact that a lot of younger people just don't vote at all.

That is not so, the last Election was a result of uneducated youth voting for a Prime Minister as he will legalize cannabis. Anything other then that, they could not tell you another thing about his platform.

Maybe there should be a actual exam prior to being able to cast a vote. Sorry it might eliminate some of you here, although a uneducated vote is a wasted vote in my opinion.

Lastly, should people who do not pay tax, be permitted to vote? I would suggest they should not, and those incarcerated should also not have a vote option either.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:I can see the dumbest of the Left being in support of this initiative, mostly because seniors usually vote against the brainless leftist policies. They have experience in life, unlike the young of society, and they can see what is total BS. I definitely would support taking away the right to vote for people under the age of 30 for sure, as they tend to vote for insanely stupid and evil leftist BS.

Lol like the ones that drive in to coffee shops ? :200:

LOL - Like the ones who work in the coffee shops
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Ken7 wrote:Lastly, should people who do not pay tax, be permitted to vote? I would suggest they should not, and those incarcerated should also not have a vote option either.

:up: And those living outside the country. (except Military)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

This reminds of the quote I saw, can't remember who it was from, along the lines of:

"The problem with democracy is that there more stupid people than smart ones."

A citizen is a citizen is a citizen. You can't parse who gets to vote.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Bsuds wrote:Well if we can't vote then I'm not willing to pay taxes.

So should immigrants who aren't citizens not have to pay taxes? What about my kids, since they aren't old enough to vote? Or even those who are not on the Voters List? None of these can vote. Not that I am in favour of disenfranchising seniors, but the idea that one shouldn't pay taxes if one can't vote is absurd.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Only white guys over 30 should then be able to vote. Women? There are actually some (including Andrew Scheer) who think that we should discourage women from entering the workforce. His website had to be taken down the day after he was elected Con leader. He was also against some birth control, including abortion. He wanted a return to the old days where women pumped out large number of kids and had to stay home. If we aren't going to let them work, or let them control their own reproduction, maybe we should take away their vote so they don't get uppity again. And kids are always twisted leftists, so maybe they shouldn't vote either. Just let middle aged white guys decide.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Don't wander off topic please! Thanks!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

It's great the way it is.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Bsuds wrote: :up: And those living outside the country. (except Military)

Some of those still own large properties which they pay tax. I don't necessarily agree. Although if they have moved on and have not lived as a Canadian property owner, I do agree. Get lost...lol.
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

The Green Barbarian wrote:I can see the dumbest of the Left being in support of this initiative, mostly because seniors usually vote against the brainless leftist policies. They have experience in life, unlike the young of society, and they can see what is total BS. I definitely would support taking away the right to vote for people under the age of 30 for sure, as they tend to vote for insanely stupid and evil leftist BS.

lol This post, paired with your avatar, just screams "Please someone talk to me I am so desperate for someone to respond to me!"

Well it worked... do you need a hug? One thing that evil leftists are good at, is giving hugs.

Return to “Canada”