Buddha of the Board

Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Post by maryjane48 »

Cactusflower
Banned

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/0 ... llion-year

There's a good reason why we should all be blocking this pipeline. From the above link:
"BC motorists will end up paying more than $100 million a year because of increased transportation costs approved by the NEB to pay for a pipeline the majority of British Columbians do not want. The $25 million that Premier Clark says she negotiated as a 'fair sharing of benefits' in the legally non-binding memorandum of understanding with Kinder Morgan pales by comparison. The net cost of $75 million per year to British Columbia provides another glaring example of how the private interests of some of Premier Clark's largest financial donors take priority over the economic interests of British Columbians."

Read the entire link, please.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/03/27/opinion/trans-mountain-expansion-will-cost-bc-motorists-over-100-million-year

YES, PLease do read the entire opinion piece that was written and published in MARCH 2017. Why wait until now to bring this forward?
Some are just soooo slow on the uptake of information. Has this study been concluded? Has the project been approved? What is the current status of this project?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Heard this one on the radio this morning. It's rather interesting.

One one side the delay might be normal, however if there is an individual causing this delay for personal belief reasons it is absolutely Walls right to question that fact.

Since it has been an abnormal delay and that the lower mainland is prone to emotional moves this could be a the case. However should they find that the accusation was false, only at that time would it warrant an apology from Wall.

If you asked people you'd probably get a survey that had 2 main answers

Right wing "I agree Wall should push back against this"

Left wing "I support Burnaby in doing this"

2% might actual ask "is there a legit delay"?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

The legit delay is called climate change and oil spill :smt045
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/03/27/opinion/trans-mountain-expansion-will-cost-bc-motorists-over-100-million-year

YES, PLease do read the entire opinion piece that was written and published in MARCH 2017. Why wait until now to bring this forward?
Some are just soooo slow on the uptake of information. Has this study been concluded? Has the project been approved? What is the current status of this project?

As usual, you have kept your head buried firmly in....... the sand, and know nothing about the Kinder Morgan expansion. Perhaps if you read the article you wouldn't have to ask stupid questions.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

alanjh595 wrote:

Cactusflower wrote:As usual, you have kept your head buried firmly in....... the sand, and know nothing about the Kinder Morgan expansion. Perhaps if you read the article you wouldn't have to ask stupid questions.

Really? Please tell me where I have asked a stupid question and please provide an appropriate answer for my low level IQ to be able to understand.

What do you know about the Kinder Morgan expansion that is not contained within the link, that you provided, and published 8 months ago?

Why so hostile?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Pipeline is safer than the inevitable rail cars if this is delayed much longer.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

There's a good reason why we should all be blocking this pipeline. From the above link:
"BC motorists will end up paying more than $100 million a year because of increased transportation costs approved by the NEB to pay for a pipeline the majority of British Columbians do not want. The $25 million that Premier Clark says she negotiated as a 'fair sharing of benefits' in the legally non-binding memorandum of understanding with Kinder Morgan pales by comparison. The net cost of $75 million per year to British Columbia provides another glaring example of how the private interests of some of Premier Clark's largest financial donors take priority over the economic interests of British Columbians."

It's a flawed article and presumption. You would see that if you understood squat about commodities pricing. Gasoline prices are not set by the price of crude or the cost of transportation. They are inputs fer sure but but the real price is set by supply and demand in the commodity markets as gasoline is a commodity. The cost of transportation is squat in the overall picture but only the naive like yourself will latch onto any straw and try to spin it into gold to support your flawed understanding of pretty much anything you do not agree with.
The only danger to gas prices comes from the govt's willingness to add taxes to it in the form of carbon taxes and the likes of Mayor Gregor's transit and bike lane fee's. Besides that, it is all free market pricing.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

seewood wrote:Pipeline is safer than the inevitable rail cars if this is delayed much longer.

However, KM supporters fail to recognize other risks:

The City of Vancouver, in its submissions to the National Energy Board, tabled a report showing the risk of a marine oil spill in the 50-year life of the project is between 16 and 67 per cent. The city argued the risk is too high because a spill could cost the economy hundreds of millions of dollars, and the environment would be devastated with the deaths of more than 100,000 sea and shorebirds. Harbour seal and salmon populations could be decimated, and the endangered southern resident killer whale population would be at risk of extinction.

The Concerned Professional Engineers, a group with expertise in the design, construction, and operation of the systems for moving marine goods such as oil, said even using Kinder Morgan's data translates into a 10-per-cent chance of a 8.25 million-litre heavy oil spill over the project's operating life. However, they say that figure is conservative because the risk of a tanker colliding with one of the three bridges along the route in Vancouver's harbour have not been adequately calculated.

The Globe and Mail followed the Eser K through the most hazardous stretch in B.C. waters, a 10-hour journey spanning 80 nautical miles, to observe those risks and the mitigation measures in place.

The rest:

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/b ... dmail.com&
Chill
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The sleazy demovictions Derek Corrigan is setting the City of Burnaby up for a massive lawsuit.

KM are boxing him in, and in typical NDP fashion he doesn't see it coming.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

IT doesn't matter if you like or hate this pipeline. What matters is if there is actual malfeasance by governing officials in Burnaby for personal beliefs that are directly interfering with this issue.

There's been enough argument as to whether the pipeline should happen, this topic isn't that. This is about Burnaby and if a few people are abusing their positions for private reasons.

As I said, if the delay is legit, Wall can apologies, if it is not, they should be immediately removed from their position and charges examined.

Any official abusing a position should be punished for such actions at all levels, it doesn't matter if they "felt morally right". Thinking you are morally right does not allow you to act immorally.

What if the same guy revoked the permits for 5 mosques in Burnaby next week as he felt that too was something he personally disagreed with? Get the issue yet?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

I think the issue is this: Suppose the Kinder Morgan expansion was re-routed to go through your backyard. And suppose that you, being a supporter of the pipeline woke up one morning to find your backyard swimming pool full of diluted bitumen from a leak that happened overnight. Would you say, "Oh, that's okay, I'll just clean this mess up myself and call KM or Trans Mountain to come and fix the leak. I sure wouldn't want those refineries in WA State to go without AB product. After all, they provide us with much of that refined product, since most of our refineries have been closed due to lack of crude."

Sure you would. [icon_lol2.gif]
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Cactusflower wrote:I think the issue is this: Suppose the Kinder Morgan expansion was re-routed to go through your backyard. And suppose that you, being a supporter of the pipeline woke up one morning to find your backyard swimming pool full of diluted bitumen from a leak that happened overnight. Would you say, "Oh, that's okay, I'll just clean this mess up myself and call KM or Trans Mountain to come and fix the leak. I sure wouldn't want those refineries in WA State to go without AB product. After all, they provide us with much of that refined product, since most of our refineries have been closed due to lack of crude."

More likely, I'd think I just won the lottery...........
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:I think the issue is this: Suppose the Kinder Morgan expansion was re-routed to go through your backyard. And suppose that you, being a supporter of the pipeline woke up one morning to find your backyard swimming pool full of diluted bitumen from a leak that happened overnight. Would you say, "Oh, that's okay, I'll just clean this mess up myself and call KM or Trans Mountain to come and fix the leak. I sure wouldn't want those refineries in WA State to go without AB product. After all, they provide us with much of that refined product, since most of our refineries have been closed due to lack of crude."

Now, how about, that get's rephased WITHOUT the maybes, perhaps, suppose, possibly, and private back yards?
It's a REALLY big stretch from a personal, back yard swimming pool and lack of crude between Alberta and Washington state.
Kinder Morgan spends millions of $$$$ on a pipeline and do you not believe that they wouldn't buy your house or pump out your pool IF it leaked? That is why they have Billions of $$$$$$$ in insurance to cover a simple back-yard pool leak.
What is left?

Return to “B.C.”