Vernon Mayor caught drinking and driving.

my5cents
Guru

Re: Vernon Mayor caught drinking and driving.

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:My point (first part of my pervious post was in response to OP), the premier was not going to admit he did anything wrong until after news got ahold of his arrest by HPD. At that point he should step down, we all how he did not.
At least mayor admitted what he done, what are the chances he we step down. In my post I say doubtful, we will see if public pressure changes that any.

My point is that the two offenses weren't even close to the same severity.

It always amazed me that the Liberals yelled and shouted about Dix and the memo, that happened decades before, that was investigated by the police and submitted to crown and they felt there wasn't enough to charge, but were mute about their own leader being arrested in a foreign country and charged with what amounted to a Criminal offense.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:My point is that the two offenses weren't even close to the same severity.

DUI is a DUI
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:DUI is a DUI

Well for one thing there is no such thing as DUI in Canada.

How would you like it if I was fired for driving a company vehicle so dangerously that I was charged with Criminal Negligence. I deserved it and I would agree.

A short time later you were fired for turning left against a sign.

A violation is a violation ??
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ DUI or Impaired driving (be it alcohol or drugs), same thing

As for the rest of your post what does that have to with either the Vernon mayor or former premier.

Only a complete idiot would drink & drive/drugs, everyone who does is exactly that a complete f :cuss: ing idiot
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

gman313 wrote:bahahahahaha

I worked for him when he was a partner at inland restaurants. used to do the same thing there

just like he lied like a sidewalk when he got fined for income tax irregularity's in his tax filings
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Interesting how if a politician says nothing about something then he's hiding something but if he comes out and admits his wrongdoing then he's only doing it for some nefarious reason...

Don't we teach our children that they should speak up if they've done something wrong because accountability is something we all want people to be?

Lets applaud someone for speaking up when they've made a mistake. To do anything else is silly.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Chyren wrote:Interesting how if a politician says nothing about something then he's hiding something but if he comes out and admits his wrongdoing then he's only doing it for some nefarious reason...

Don't we teach our children that they should speak up if they've done something wrong because accountability is something we all want people to be?

Lets applaud someone for speaking up when they've made a mistake. To do anything else is silly.

Well he spoke up after the story had leaked out.

He then maintained he just had two drinks and somehow thought nobody would have figured out that if he had two drinks at a function that he left at 11:30 PM it would be impossible for him to blow 40 mg at 2:30 AM.

The nature of the offense IMO isn't serious enough to warrant him to consider stepping down.

BUT if one is going to "come clean" come clean, don't lie. Even if he said "yes I had a few drinks earlier but when I was called out, I mistakenly thought I was perfectly fine to drive" and leave it at that.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

DUI is a DUI

Driving under the influence of alcohol is an AMERICAN thing... But you know that ...

Driving over .08 , or impaired driving , is a Criminal Code of Canada section 215 charge . Driving over .05 is a Motor Vehicle Act of BC charge ..

Look up the difference .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

MAPearce wrote:Driving under the influence of alcohol is an AMERICAN thing... But you know that ...

Driving over .08 , or impaired driving , is a Criminal Code of Canada section 215 charge . Driving over .05 is a Motor Vehicle Act of BC charge ..

Look up the difference .

Actually the section is 253

253 (1) Every one commits an offence who operates a motor vehicle or vessel or operates or assists in the operation of an aircraft or of railway equipment or has the care or control of a motor vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment, whether it is in motion or not,
    (a) while the person’s ability to operate the vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment is impaired by alcohol or a drug; or
    (b) having consumed alcohol in such a quantity that the concentration in the person’s blood exceeds eighty milligrams of alcohol in one hundred millilitres of blood.

It's strange why some obsolete terms are perpetuated.

That's the case with .08 . In Canada, many decades ago the illegal proportion of alcohol in blood was described in percentage ".08 percent alcohol in blood", The was changed to the actual measurement of alcohol measured in milligrams in 100 milliliters of blood.

The Motor Vehicle Act, being recently enacted has never used percentage, just 50 and 80 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood.

The ironic part of the Provincial Law that allows police to prohibit a driver under the provisions of the MVA is that it starts with the police making a demand under the provisions of the Criminal Code of Canada.

Immediate roadside driving prohibition (from the Motor Vehicle Act of BC)

215.41 (1) In this section, "driver" includes a person having the care or control of a motor vehicle on a highway or industrial road whether or not the motor vehicle is in motion.
    (2) In this section and in sections 215.42, 215.43, 215.47, 215.49 and 215.5:
    "approved screening device" means a device prescribed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council for the purposes of this section;
    "fail" means an indication on an approved screening device that the concentration of alcohol in a person's blood is not less than 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood;
    "warn" means an indication on an approved screening device that the concentration of alcohol in a person's blood is not less than 50 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood.
    (3) [Repealed 2012-26-1.]
    (3.1) If, at any time or place on a highway or industrial road,
    (a) a peace officer makes a demand to a driver under the Criminal Code to provide a sample of breath for analysis by means of an approved screening device and the approved screening device registers a warn or a fail, and
    (b) the peace officer has reasonable grounds to believe, as a result of the analysis, that the driver's ability to drive is affected by alcohol,
    the peace officer, or another peace officer, must,
    (c) if the driver holds a valid licence or permit issued under this Act, or a document issued in another jurisdiction that allows the driver to operate a motor vehicle, take possession of the driver's licence, permit or document if the driver has it in his or her possession, and
    (d) subject to section 215.42, serve on the driver a notice of driving prohibition.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Actually the section is 253

??? Thanks for the correction My5 . I was of the understanding that an over .08 was 215 of the CCC

But that just raises more questions for me ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

MAPearce wrote:??? Thanks for the correction My5 . I was of the understanding that an over .08 was 215 of the CCC

But that just raises more questions for me ...

The section numbers for all criminal charges always change. As for impaired driving I don't know if it was ever as low as "215".

However Section 215 of the BC Motor Vehicle Act is the 24 hour Prohibition section.

In the 70's Impaired Driving was Section 234 and Over .08 (it was .08 then too) was Section 236

Impaired Driving is currently 253(1)(a) and Over 80 mgs is 253(1)(b)
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Geez .. You must be a lawyer..

How much for a consultation about drivers being required to use an interlock device or administrative penalties imposed on them for discretionary prohibitions prior to July 2012 ?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

MAPearce wrote:Geez .. You must be a lawyer..

How much for a consultation about drivers being required to use an interlock device or administrative penalties imposed on them for discretionary prohibitions prior to July 2012 ?

What did I say that got you so upset ? Throwing out an insult like that !!!

A Lawyer !!!! [icon_lol2.gif]
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

my5cents wrote:
MAPearce wrote:Geez .. You must be a lawyer..

What did I say that got you so upset ? Throwing out an insult like that !!!

A Lawyer !!!! [icon_lol2.gif]

No , no man !!! Didn't mean to insult you .lol ! But you seem to be up to speed on the MVA and stuff..

I got a "buddy" who could use some direction !!
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Quit drinking and driving is the only direction buddy needs :smt045

Return to “North Okanagan”