47395
44515

US elects trans person

US elects trans person

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 7th, 2017, 7:36 pm

User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15975
Likes: 9957 posts
Liked in: 2494 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby MCB » Nov 8th, 2017, 6:09 pm

...yay? :135:
MCB
Board Meister
 
Posts: 415
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 28 posts
Joined: Mar 13th, 2008, 4:37 am
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: US elects trans person

Postby RupertBear » Nov 9th, 2017, 8:49 am

Congratulations to Danica Roem. The voters obviously elected the candidate that brought the best ideas to the table.

gman313 likes this post.
RupertBear
Fledgling
 
Posts: 222
Likes: 96 posts
Liked in: 213 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby Verum » Nov 9th, 2017, 9:38 am

Sometimes the best man for a job is a woman :biggrin:
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

2 people like this post.
Verum
Fledgling
 
Posts: 312
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 255 posts
Joined: Oct 5th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby GordonH » Nov 9th, 2017, 9:59 am

I'm probably going to get a bunch of feedback on this one.
I never vote for someone based on gender, physical appearance etc.... etc
I place my X on a ballot based on what person says, how they say it. What they want to do once they get to city hall, Victoria or Ottawa.
As well if I know they would be the best person out of those seeking my vote & the job.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18100
Likes: 1777 posts
Liked in: 5594 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: US elects trans person

Postby Verum » Nov 9th, 2017, 11:14 am

GordonH wrote:I'm probably going to get a bunch of feedback on this one.
I never vote for someone based on gender, physical appearance etc.... etc
I place my X on a ballot based on what person says, how they say it. What they want to do once they get to city hall, Victoria or Ottawa.
As well if I know they would be the best person out of those seeking my vote & the job.

You would be unusual in that case. Most people are biased, consciously or not. There is lots of evidence that we prefer people who look like us, or share other traits, even when such has nothing to do with someone's ability to do a job.
http://conf.som.yale.edu/obsummer07/PaperBen-NerKramer.pdf
I gather that even when we know this, it still doesn't remove the bias, unfortunately. Roem had to overcome significant bias to have a chance of winning, so this is quite an achievement.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Fledgling
 
Posts: 312
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 255 posts
Joined: Oct 5th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby techrtr » Nov 10th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Must drive Trump crazy especially since she beat the Republican incumbent (who apparently isn't too fond of transgendered people). Way to stick it to em!
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 752
Likes: 55 posts
Liked in: 646 posts
Joined: Jul 5th, 2005, 6:47 am

Re: US elects trans person

Postby Glacier » Nov 10th, 2017, 3:05 pm

I voted Green last election because she was the best looking candidate running in the riding.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25556
Likes: 2279 posts
Liked in: 7686 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby christopher » Nov 10th, 2017, 4:30 pm

GEE in the middle of Dixie home of Robert E Lee, Home of the confederate flag, home of all the bigots and racists, that is what the media had said I guess they are not as backwards as the media was reporting what a surprise.

Glacier likes this post.
christopher
 
Posts: 96
Likes: 222 posts
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2016, 9:10 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby Verum » Nov 10th, 2017, 4:53 pm

christopher wrote:GEE in the middle of Dixie home of Robert E Lee, Home of the confederate flag, home of all the bigots and racists, that is what the media had said I guess they are not as backwards as the media was reporting what a surprise.

Maybe only 45% are bigoted, since that's the % who voted for Bob Marshall, an extremely bigoted, homophobic, transphobic, anti-choice, anti-contraception, dinosaur of a politician.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

maryjane48 likes this post.
Verum
Fledgling
 
Posts: 312
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 255 posts
Joined: Oct 5th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby Glacier » Nov 10th, 2017, 5:29 pm

That's just dishonest. People take many things into account when voting. You are NOT condoning everything the person does in their personal life nor their positions on everything. If you were, you'd NEVER vote for anyone since everyone holds views you don't like.

It's like the illogical folks who claim that a bunch of racists voted for Obama and then voted for Trump. People vote for many different reasons, and most important of all is political affiliation irregardless of policies. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... servatives
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25556
Likes: 2279 posts
Liked in: 7686 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby christopher » Nov 10th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Verum wrote:
christopher wrote:GEE in the middle of Dixie home of Robert E Lee, Home of the confederate flag, home of all the bigots and racists, that is what the media had said I guess they are not as backwards as the media was reporting what a surprise.

Maybe only 45% are bigoted, since that's the % who voted for Bob Marshall, an extremely bigoted, homophobic, transphobic, anti-choice, anti-contraception, dinosaur of a politician.


I have traveled the Southern States extensively maybe more like bigots 10% tops, homophobic, transphobic will be higher then most states but I can tell you it is a great place to visit full of wonderful people black and white.
christopher
 
Posts: 96
Likes: 222 posts
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2016, 9:10 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby Verum » Nov 10th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Glacier wrote:That's just dishonest. People take many things into account when voting. You are NOT condoning everything the person does in their personal life nor their positions on everything. If you were, you'd NEVER vote for anyone since everyone holds views you don't like.

It's like the illogical folks who claim that a bunch of racists voted for Obama and then voted for Trump. People vote for many different reasons, and most important of all is political affiliation irregardless of policies. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... servatives

It's not dishonest at all. I never said that 45% were bigoted, only that maybe they were. It was an obviously absurd response to a similarly absurd statement. I would have thought that was obvious.

That said, if you support/vote for someone who is so clearly a bigot, you are essentially supporting such bigotry, even if it is the lesser of two evils in your mind. You don't get a bye on that just because you agree on transport policy or similar.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Fledgling
 
Posts: 312
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 255 posts
Joined: Oct 5th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby Verum » Nov 10th, 2017, 7:03 pm

christopher wrote: I have traveled the Southern States extensively maybe more like bigots 10% tops, homophobic, transphobic will be higher then most states but I can tell you it is a great place to visit full of wonderful people black and white.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I actually don't think that these places are largely populated by raging bigots or similar. I would say that such attitudes do still have a lot of sway, especially in politics though, but as we see in our own province, even a few percent can have a very powerful effect on policy.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Fledgling
 
Posts: 312
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 255 posts
Joined: Oct 5th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Re: US elects trans person

Postby Glacier » Nov 13th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Verum wrote:It's not dishonest at all. I never said that 45% were bigoted, only that maybe they were. It was an obviously absurd response to a similarly absurd statement. I would have thought that was obvious.

That said, if you support/vote for someone who is so clearly a bigot, you are essentially supporting such bigotry, even if it is the lesser of two evils in your mind. You don't get a bye on that just because you agree on transport policy or similar.

You said that maybe 45% voted on a single issue. Maybe the moon landing was faked too. That's how ridiculously low the odds are of this being the case. I know many Americans, and I can say that even among Republican leaning ones, they couldn't care less for the most part as to what you do in your own bedroom.

In fact, I would say that being against gay marriage and LGBT rights is probably one of the most politically toxic positions you can take, even during republican primaries. You had a social conservative (Ted Cruz) running against a social liberal (Donald J. Trump), and Trump won out. MANY republicans did not like Cruz because he seemed to care about LGBT issues. The majority of voters would rather have a womanizing hedonist representing them than a moralizing prude.

Now, yes, I know that you had people like Caitlin Jenner and such who backed Cruz and you had socially conservative types who backed Trump, but generally speaking most Republicans didn't have a probably with supporting a candidate who supported gay rights 20 years before Hillary Clinton did. It's 2017, so gay rights is no longer an issue. You might gain a few votes by beating that dead horse, but you'll lose twice as many in the process. Americans are not homophobic.

In fact, a higher percentage of Americans support gay marriage than percentage of French and Germans do... https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphic ... bl%2Fed%2F
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25556
Likes: 2279 posts
Liked in: 7686 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Next

Return to World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests